Black History Culture : OoH Child, Things are gonna be easier

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Koolaid_smile, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Koolaid_smile

Koolaid_smile Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody hear about the controversy behind what Bill Cosby said about the black community and education? I decided to do a project on it for my socio-psychology class. Say what you want, but I think this is going to be fun regardless of the risk of offending somebody. Now mine is based on why many black youths suffer academically more than other racial groups. I don't want to go along with this big hindsight bias and state only the problem. I would like to find a solution to why such a big gap in achievement. Now, you could blame white folks by saying "Oh years of oppression can take a toll on achievement motivation" which dates all the way back to slavery, or you can blame black people saying how young black children's priorities are screwed up by the devolution of hip hop and ghetto mentality. Maybe you don't have to blame anyone at all (which I yet to find, but would like to know how). The point is I would like to know a solution to the problem at hand. A good friend asked me these questions when I brought it up to him: What is the appeal of white people emulating Afro-Americans who claim to be opressed and strong enough to rise above it? Are they capable of seeing beyond race, or do they identify with another culture because they have weak ties to thier own? Or perhaps, skin color really doesn't matter?Or maybe the whole thing has nothing to do with being black, it's something that people of any race could go through. What's your take on the subject?

2. Changes_Changes

Changes_Changes Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Sister or Brother Koolaid_smile

I'm glad you posed this question here in the Culture Forum.

For me, the issue hinges on self-definition. It may have been Dr. John Henrik Clarke who said in effect, Because we send them to school with no mission, our children do not show us honor.

I believe young Africans wish to understand the neccessity of education. And perhaps they, as I, are unimpressed with the, "so you can make money," explanation.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest studying the work of Brother Dr. John Ogbu. A portion of his research is summarized here: http://blackcommentator.com/100/100_cover_acting_white.html

Best wishes, Sister or Brother Koolaid_Smile.