Black People : Only 54 Black Owned Bookstores Remain in America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is a follow up to an article, Death of the Black Owned, Independent, Bookstore, originally published here on March 25, 2012. The article highlighted the fact the we had lost 66% of our Black owned bookstores, in the United States, over the previous decade. That was and remains an astonishing statistic.
    Two years later almost half of the stores still open in 2012 have closed. You read that correctly, ALMOST HALF! At the end of this article I’ve included a list of all the Black owned stores that remain open. Here is a list of the stores that we have lost since 2002.
    [​IMG]
    Harlem, NY’s Hue-man Bookstore closed July 2012
    Our bookstores have closed for every reason under the sun. Many were started by people with a passion for literature but weak business skills and other have fallen prey to escalating rents and a dismal economy.
    Perhaps a more pernicious reason, contributing to the closure of bookstores, is simply less demand for the product. There is mounting evidence that we, all Americans, are simply reading less.
    The National Endowment for the Arts issued a report in 2004, Reading at Risk,
    in which they warned

http://aalbc.com/blog/index.php/2014/03/31/54-black-owned-bookstores-remain-america/

2. Babasola

Babasola Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +220
    this is damned shame

3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,096
    How unfortunate.

Several times, I have sought after black bookstores, going
    online to get an address. Then I'll ride out to where the stores
    were addressed only to find that they aren't there any more.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Not just black, but with the advent of Kindle and the internet, bookstores, in general, are an endangered species.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Very good point Kadijah, the Internet has been a blessing on one hand and a cursing on the other, relating to black brick and mortar bookstores. Nevertheless, we must continue to support those remaining.

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    book stores period are struggling.. and it's not just about competing with Amazon.. it's about competing with every other mode of information/entertainment available for free via the internet. It's incredibly hard to sell what folks can get for free. Why buy Van Sertima's books when you can listen to his lectures instead?

combine that with the fact that major book stores have so-called "black literature" sections..

and also throw in the plethora of bootleg downloadable black books on the internet..

and you have what we have: a decline.

7. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    I've been to several closing book stores in order to get cheap books. Even the top book stores (Borders) are going out of business all over the place. So, I'm not shocked that independent black-owned businesses are going out of business.

That said, I'm a book fiend and it's sad that the Internet is killing bookstores, but it's inevitable. E-books are cheaper, easily downloaded, and you can carry thousands of them on one device.

Nowadays the only time I really need a physical book is when I'm buying a textbook.

8. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    Bootlegging books is probably a huge problem. I am someone who buys a lot of books despite being able to just go online and download literally thousands in minutes.

9. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    bootlegging is a symptom of a problem.. what we really need is an updated access to written material. The traditional format does not match the times. In the same way that Apple's Itunes met the demand of the public for legally purchaseable digital music, the publishing industry needs to update it's model.. and not just putting books in digital form.. you should be able to purchase individual chapters.. you should be able to custom select the content for the book you wish to purchase.. and have the option to have a hard-copy created. I shouldn't have to purchase an entire book in order to get the 2 or 3 chapters I want.

10. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    quiet as it's kept.. the internet has actually killed the entire economy. As much as we love it.. we also have to understand how it has affected the flow of dollars in our Cities and States.