Pan Africanism : Online journal Tribute to Dr Ben - 95th Earthday December 2012

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by SeekingMaat, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SeekingMaat

SeekingMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    [​IMG]

Family,

I am committed to editing a Special Volume of the Journal of Pan-African Studies on the Life and Works of Dr. Yosef A.A. ben-Jochannan. I am looking for contributions.

Please spread the word.

I want to have it available on the occasion of his 95th birthday on December 31, 2012. I am looking for essays, testimonies, interviews, even poetry focusing on and revolving around one of the most influential historians of our time.

Please spread the word.

In love of Africa,

Runoko Rashidi
    www.travelwithrunoko.com
    Editorial Board Member, Journal of Pan-African Studies

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. SeekingMaat

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    28 November 2012

Greetings Family,

How are you? I an now just outside Paris, France and here I will finish out 2012 and bring in 2013. Over the past two weeks I have had a highly successful Western European lecture and book promotion tour. My new book African Star Over Asia: The Black Presence in the East is out and is a very nice complement to the my book from last year Black Star: The African Presence in Early Europe. I am pleased with both volumes and trust that you would be as well. Both books are published by Books of Africa in London.

During the past two weeks I have lectured in Oslo, Norway, London England, and Amsterdam and Rotterdam, in the Netherlands. All of the presentations went well and it would not be inaccurate to say that the presentation in Amsterdam was historic. That night everything worked to near perfection and the attendance was such that people actually had to be turned away. There was not even standing room.

I have also been to several museums on this recent swing through Europe, including, for me, three new ones in Amsterdam. I have seen a lot of artifacts and taken some excellent photos.

And now I am here in Paris with my daughter who, I am happy to say, is overjoyed to see me. And the feeling is more than mutual!

I have mentioned in previous emails that I am editing a special issue of the online Journal of Pan-African Studies. It will be devoted to an overview of the life and work of historian Dr. Yosef A.A. ben-Jochannan. But, although, I have mentioned it before, this time my self-imposed deadline is staring me in the face. The final "official" deadline for submissions is December 7, 2012. Dr. Ben's 95 birthday is December 31 and I am trying very hard to have the issue available for viewing at that time. It should make a nice gift to him. So consider this a final reminder.

So if you are interested and have something of value to contribute, now is the time. I am specifically looking for essays on the various aspects of his life and work. But I am willing to accept interviews, book reviews, personal tributes and even poems. So there it is. I hope to hear from you soon. I do not want anyone who wants to make a contribution to miss the opportunity.

All the best sisters and brothers!

Enjoy this special time of year!

In love of Africa,

Runoko Rashidi
    Editorial Board Member, Journal of Pan-African Studies
    www.travelwithrunoko.com

4. SeekingMaat

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    11 December 2012

Family,

How are you? I have been in Europe for exactly four weeks now and it has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. In the first two weeks I gave eight presentations in Norway, England and the Netherlands, and two British Museum tours in London. Speaking of museums, I visited two new museums in Norway, revisited the British Museum in London three times, visited the newly refurbished Asmolean Museum at Oxford, and toured three new museums in Amsterdam. Of course, when I say "new", I mean new for me. And I got some really excellent photos! I also did an "African-centric" tour of Amsterdam.

Also, my 2011 book Black Star Over Europe was reprinted and my newest book, African Star Over Asia, came out (even though the publisher has decided to pull it from publication and reprint it anew at the beginning of January. There were a lot of errors in it and the formatting was just not what it should have been. The publisher wants to do it right and I can find little fault with him on that. I wonder if that means that I will be able to claim credit for two new books and not just one?

I was also invited to give a lecture at an African conference in Spain but it appears that is not going to work out. The organizers just don't seem to quite have it together. What a pity. It would have introduced me to a brand new audience of Africans in Europe. I have yet to do a major presentation in Spain. So it appears that that will have to wait a bit longer.

On Sunday I submitted the photos for a large autobiographical travel book. This will be my largest work so far and the publisher seems to be doing a really outstanding job. So I should have at least two other new books published in the Spring of 2013. Besides the travel book, the other text I am calling The Ivan Van Sertima Papers.

So now it appears that the rest of my year will end on a quiet note with mostly a lot of daddy time with my daughter, with probably a few presentations in Paris to jazz things up. One of the presentations should be at the historic Presence Africaine book store in Paris--I think the oldest African-centered book store in Europe.

So that is my update for you. I am pretty content. So far here the weather has been cold and wintry--just the way I like it! Last week it even snowed!

On the down side, the reports that we get from Mali, in Africa, remain dismal and Eastern Congo, because of the M23 rebels, has made the news again. These are parts of the Motherland that we must carefully monitor. And it looks like the health of President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela is deteriorating. We were also saddened, last week, by the transition of the great African scholar from Guyana--Dr. Jan R. Carew.

By the way, in case you are interested, I still have plenty of open lecture dates available in January and February. Set something up for me. Maybe you will get to see all of my nice new photos from Europe!

Finally, we have decided to postpone the Journal of Pan-African Studies Special Issue devoted to Dr. Yosef A.A. ben-Jochannan until the Spring of 2013. As it turns out, he is not going to be 95 at the end of this month after all! He is "only" going to be 94! Bottom line though, I want the Journal to be done well instead of done rushed. Dr. Ben deserves it and we deserve it.

So most of my work is done for now and I have extra times on my hands. It is not a situation that I find myself in very often! Perhaps I will start on yet another book!

Many blessings sisters and brothers. I hope that all is well with you!

Hotep!

In love of Africa,

Runoko Rashidi
    www.travelwithrunoko.com

5. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    Jan R. Carew
    Obituary
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View all 2 photos​

[​IMG]CAREW, JAN R., of Agricola village, Guyana, passed away on December 6, 2012 leaving wife, Joy Gleason Carew, daughters, Lisa St. Aubin de Teran, Shantoba Eliza Carew; and son, David Christopher Carew; grandchildren Iseult Teran, Alexander Macbeth, and Benicio Carew; and great-grandson, Felix Radford. He also leaves his sister, Sheila Thorpe; nephews, E. Nigel Harris, Michael Harris; and nieces, Alexis Selman and Denise Harris.

He chose cremation and his remains will be interred with his wife's family in Winston-Salem, NC.

Jan Carew was born on September 24 1920, the middle child and only son of Ethel Robertson and Alan Carew. His older sister, Cicely Von Eden, precedes him in death.

Born at a time when empire was at its height and growing up when the pus of racism was seeping out from the sores of capital, Jan heralded and helped to shape the cultural revolution against colonialism and racism in poetry, painting, polemic and play.
    A wandering minstrel uprooted and cast abroad by the imperial imperative, he rooted himself wherever he was in the struggles of the people around him. And he was in many places, wearing many faces, but always in the same cause: freedom for the oppressed and downtrodden-writing, teaching, broadcasting, engaging with mighty men and women. A renaissance man in the most deathly of times.
    A black renaissance man in the whitest of times. A griot tracing us back to the ghosts in our blood. And, a presence, a persona - tall, elegant, majestic - to go with it all. "In the course of one revolving moon/ he was soldier, servant, statesman, and Maroon (Pace, Dryden)."
    [​IMG]
    Published in The Courier-Journal on December 9, 2012

Thank you Runoko for the heads up with regard to the departure of my countryman Jan R. Carew to be with the ancestors after staying with us for over 92 years, an excellent innings [but that generation were of truly excellent stock] as underlined by Bernie Grant’s father Eric outliving his son by getting to 92, with one of our family friends more fit, alert and active at 96 than my parents/greatest blessing [my father is 87 and my mother is 82].

Are you Guyanese too, I was born in Vreed den Hoop, West Bank Demerara/just opposite Georgetown?

Dr. Yosef A.A. Ben-Jochannan being nearly 94 is also a pretty spectacularly long run whereas I felt more should have been done to acknowledge his greatness/contribution to our struggle, after the departure of Dr Ivan van Sertima in 2011, as wasn’t he literally a GIANT with regard to the researching, projecting, promoting and publishing TRUE African history?

Isn't ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?