Black People : Online Chitlin Circuit

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ralfa'il, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Is it me, or do some of you keep running into the same characters on different black websites as well?

Out of respect for this site, I won't name the others...but it seems that when I leave one site and go to another I almost always find atleast one person from that previous site lurking on the next.

I find the same threads being titles, and the same personalities, screen-names and signatures.

Are the number of websites that we as black people frequent so limited that we keep bumping into eachother?

Does anyone see this type of predictability "dangerous" in any way?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In a word Yes, there are not that many black oriented websites on the net, so it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of people frequent the same site. If one counts the number of black websites that are actually black owned, then that number decreases even further. I do find that the topics are the same, as the types of issues facing black folk are pretty universal (with some variation according to class, nationality, and gender). However there is a significant difference in how various black sites address certain issues & there is a monumental difference in how different black sites are moderated.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't think that's just a thing with black websites. I've visited multicultural and Asian sites that also had the same members. Many of them will even use their same screen name.

I think this happens because when a person creates a new site, they'll often advertise it on the old site they visited, so it's natural that it would attract some of the same members.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i'll visit any site that can hold my interest.
    few do, unfortunately.
    i use the same name everywhere so you'll know it's me.

i wonder why there are so few on line.
    considering how many black people there are world wide, only a tiny percentage appear on line.

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    2 Reasons:

1. Most black people around the world are poor and don't have access to a computer period, much less the internet.

2. Sadly, because the black people who speak English are usually the only ones who consider themselves "black", most of our people have don't identify themselves with our culture and concerns.

A large percentage of our people in Latin America and the Arabic speaking world don't even recognize themselves as black.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I don't get out much, to other sites, so i've not witnessed this.

I'm not surprised though, i do know that there are not a lot of Black owned web sites. As i think back over the many acquaintances i've made out here, i'm still surprised to meet someone outside of where we originally met. It doesn't happen often.

I believe this technology is so great a tool for us, that danger should be our last concern. We should fully embrace the opportunity to interact with each other in this unprecedented manner, for as long and as often, as possible.

:heart:

Destee

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    well in the US we have 20M black people who spend big bucks on SUVs, cognac and diamonds.
    we do have enough money to get on line if we want to.
    friends of mine who have computers often just let them sit here.
    i have to nag folks to boot up and do something.

i wish there were more black people on the net.