Black Sports : O'neil Bell vs Dale Brown for the vacant IBF Cruiserweight Title Tonight on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, May 20, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=2063280

This should be a good fight, O'Neil Bell is one of the best fighters in the Cruiserweight division. I am picking him to stop Brown and set up an exciting unification fight against Jean Marc-Mormeck!

2. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Dale Brown got robbed !!!!
    Brown definitely beat O'Neill Bell . Bell did nothing to win this fight Brown should be the IBF cruiserweight champion. Bad decisions like this continue to give boxing a bad name.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I disagree! A robbery is Lennox Lewis-Evander Holyfield I...Pernell Whitaker-Julio Cesar Chavez...Glencoffe Johnson-Daniel Judah...this fight hardly qualifies. I watched the fight for the second time about an hour ago (fell asleep the 1st time). After reading about a controversial decision on Fightnews.com & Boxingtalk.net, I decided to watch the replay. I think O'Neill Bell won 115-113, specifically I had it 7 rounds to 5 for O'Neill Bell. Bell did not fight his normal fight, and made a mistake by trying to box Brown. However he worked him to the body (which Joe Tessitore & Kevin Kelly gave him no credit for), and slipped a lot of Brown's punches. Brown performed better in the rounds he won, but Bell took more rounds. Fights need to be scored round by round, which most people (announcers included) don't do. Unless a fighter is knocked down or receives a standing 8 count...a round is just a round: 10-9, no matter how good a fighter looks! The ESPN annoucing crew was clearly pulling for Brown (calling the 3rd round 10-8 when no knockdown occured), and made it seem like Brown dominated when he didn't. It was a close fight, with some rounds being difficult to score. I don't see how anyone could have scored it further than 2 round victory for either fighter...I also could see Brown being given the benefit of the doubt on a couple of close rounds (which would have swung the fight in his favor)...however, the decision was far from a robbery. Dale Brown certainly fought well enough to warrant a rematch, and O'Neill Bell better be sharper than he was tonight if he wants to win it. I will say this, both O'Neill Bell & Dale Brown better stay away from the true Cruiserweight Champion, Jean Marc-Mormeck. Neither one of them could win in a unification fight. Dale Brown was already knocked out by Mormeck, and I don't think O'Neill Bell would do any better based on this performance.