Computers - Software Hardware : One man writes Linux drivers for 235 USB webcams (Older Article, 2007)

Gorilla

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2009
A LONE HOBBYIST programmer sitting at his home in France is responsible for adding 235 USB webcams to the list of those supported by Linux. He tells the INQUIRER about this often unknown and unrecognised achievement.
Near three years ago, I purchased the cheapest USB webcams - actually, pair - I could find at the time, without taking into consideration whether those webcams worked with Linux or not. I ran one desktop PC with Win2K and one of the webcams was plugged to that box. I quickly found out several things: first, "Made in China" webcams surely are cheap, but that comes at a price of often having no support web site, no physical address of the manufacturer, and no updates to its drivers. The Win2K drivers for the "DigiGR8" 301P had apparently a memory leak under Win2k, forcing me to reboot the win2k box on a daily basis. Basically it just stopped working after a dozen hours of continuous use, and rebooting was the only solution.

Full article: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1047633/one-writes-linux-drivers-235-usb-webcams

This is an example of how one person can make a difference in the world of computing and open source. The difference doesn't have to be this exceptional because every little bit counts.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back