Black People : One Blackmans Essay About Why We Shouldn't Use The N-word

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Earl, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Earl

Earl Well-Known Member MEMBER

Retired Marine
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is now the year 2003 a new millenium is upon us. I think that it's finally
    time that we the people of the world stop using the N-word. Slavery has been over for more than one hundred years. The N-word is no longer needed. It should not be accepted in any of its myriad variations, or considered
    permissible in any context. I am speaking about the words ******, niggardly
    and the slang word niggah. These are popular terms used both inside and
    outside the African-American community, most of the time used as a
    derogatory term. The weirdest quirk is that African-Americans perpetuate
    the use of the N-word each time we greet each other by saying, "Yo,
    whassup, *****? Or, "You know you're my ******" and the popular "You'd
    still be my ****** if you never get no bigger."

As, a self-respecting Black man I get irate when I hear these sayings. I keep
    asking myself, why do we continue to downgrade ourselves and each other by demeaning our own race with these words? Don't you know what the word ****** means? The word ****** defines someone who is ignorant, stupid, dumb, the property of someone else, a person with no rights, a person with no future, a person with no past that matters anymore, a person who has lost their heritage and native language, and a person who can be beaten, raped, killed, disfigured or beaten up at will by their owner. ****** was a term used to remind us that we were to be subservient to whites. It is used to enrage us, and jolt our memory back to face the reality that we were not brought to America of our free will. The N-word has been used historically
    to goad us into fighting and acting without reason.

I can't stand to hear anyone even a friend use the word ******. They try to use it as a way of showing they like you. But, I argue, how can you use a
    negative word in a positive way? That doesn't make any sense to me. You
    never hear Whites say to each other "you're my *******", or Latinos say
    "You're my Spic". So, why do we African-Americans have to be so different
    from the other races? Why can't we wise up and move on. Let's start calling
    each other brother and sister, mother and father, parent and child, lover and
    loved, student and graduate, doctor and lawyer, business people and
    entrepreneurs. By the way I did look for the N-word in a couple of
    dictionaries and couldn't find it. Wouldn't it be nice if I could listen outside
    of my door and find it missing too? Think about, you're our first line of defense and we're counting on you.

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I'm feeling you here Earl. As demeaning as the word may be And I totally agree with you but somehow I think the word was twisted to be used in a positive manor amonst some of my fellow brothers and sisters as a way of saying no matter what they think of us to be proud of who we are. They may call us the n word but we know that we are bigger than that. I think that maybe it is used to mock those who has belittled us with this word. I know that this should not be an excuse for the use there of. We should overcome these expressions and be more objective about how we address ourselves. However, many of us cant see past the abuse that this word has implanted on our lives. Indeed Knowledge is power. A power that many of us choose not to seek. There is always hope for my strong people! One day we will overcome!

3. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    [

Hi Earl, I can relate to what you're saying not only because its the logical thing to do, but its also an old debate. We have been debating whether the N-word should be used for quite a long time, and as far as I can see this debate is still going on after so many generations. Why haven't we been able to reconcile this? Why do we reiterate the same thing over and over again? Personally, I cannot stand the word and I refuse to use that term to desribe myself or anyone else.

Now I'm going to toss an idea out in the ether to see what may come of it. What if the N-word describes how many Black people feel about themselves. Since we all reside in a system whose foundation is based on white supremacy(racism) and whose purpose is to make people of color feel less than or better yet N-word +ize (******ize) people of color then I guess after generations of being told that they are less than and also being told that your people are responsible for every bad thing that happens on this planet, I think that one can logically say that many Black people would feel that they are the N-word and would actually hate themselves.

Under a system of white supremacy which unfortunately is the political system that the planet is under all Black/Afrikan people are labeled as the N-word by this system. If you are not white then you are automatically the N-word no matter how many degrees you have, where you live be it Beverly Hills or the "inner" city, how nice you are or how "white" you choose to act. The Europeans did not capture and brutalize Black/Afrikan people in order to make Black/Afikan people feel good about themselves. They have not continously undermine the Afrikan continent so that Afrikan people could develop self reliance. Instead the historical trickery and injury of the Europeans has been perpetuated to N-word+ize Black/Afrikan people and unfortunately judging by the mental and physical attitude of some of our people they have succeeded to a certain degree.

Before anyone think that I am bashing my own people I want to say that I am not. However, I wanted to look at this issue from another perspective instead of the same perspective that is commonly used. I definitely don't like it when this word is used by us, because even though this system has labeled us as the N-word I'm mentally healthy enough to know that we are not this. This is just one of the many tools of the racists, and believe me they have alot of them.

First maybe we need to find out why this word is used and ask the person who uses this word why he/she chose to use this particular word and not another word to describe her/himself or someone else. Us getting emotional over this word is not gonna solve any of our problems at all, this word was constructed by the racists to get us emotional and disoriented to the point where we all just fight with each over what we think it is and what it should or shouldn't be and if it should be banned or not.

Earl you state that this word shouldn't be used, which is fine. However can you please reveal what actions can be taken to stop or persuade Black people to refrain from using this word? Personally I don't have the answers because this system(white supremacy) has been so meticulous and refined that the racists have it working exactly the way that it was designed to work, ex..us referring to ourselves as the N-word. The only constructive advice that I could give right now is to find out the root reason(s) of why a Black person would refer to themselves with the N-word and go on from there. I'm not sure if this is any help at all, but thats all that I can come up with at this point.

We all talk about what Black people should or shouldn't do, but unfortunately all the things that we constantly say shouldn't be done are still being done. Why is this? What is the reason for this when we have so many scholars, so many revolutionaries, so many Black organizations that are supposedly designed to uplift us. There are numerous magazines, internet sites, books that have been written that have mapped out the problems and presented plans for action.

We are told that we have one of the highest spending capabilities in the world, if we supposedly have and spend all that money why are things still the way they are for Black/Afikan people as a collective? Why after the civil rights era are alot things still the way they were then and are actually retreating possibly to as far back as the Jim Crow Era? Something has to be missing, something could've possibly been overlooked by many of our courageos leaders. I'm not sure what it is, but when you keeping finding yourself in the same position over and over again I think its time to ask what have I missed and what is been done incorrectly. As I said earlier I'm just throwing some things out in the ether to see what may come of them.

My course of thinking right now is based on myself attempting to understand and define as precisely as I can the system of control that this planet has been subjected(racism) to because it has infected most if not all people on the planet. I'm not sure if I will ever understand the full mechanics of it or how it has been able to work so sucessfully(unfortunately) but I am aware that it works, and I guess the logical question would be how to make it not work. That is what all of our leaders/prophets have attempted to do. I would love to hear what others think of the issue that Earl raised and also some of the issues that I have raised also. I'm sure many may disagree with what have been said, but that is fine as I said these are all things that I have thought about, they aren't set in stone nor are they necessarily truths but just questions.
    Peace..

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i feel everyone here and we as people of color our race and
    culture we should have set such word aside long ago
    not replay the myth of it so now we fine our self living with it
    speaking it , accepting it , well as Earl stated we're in a new time zone and it's not acceptable nor very wise to speak it
    we no longer slaves of such lowgrade word many died do to the
    word and many has been held back coz the word as they see it
    match the skin ................ but how can one defined the word with
    a color of skin it can't be done this was awhipmaster inslave word to set our very own apart from the rest of the world
    i feel u and it should not be allow in no shape style nor fashion to be spoken written nor painted to say what haters feel fit us
    we have to start with our children to get past the lingering of such and teach them ......nice topic

5. Earl

Earl Well-Known Member MEMBER

Retired Marine
    Ratings:
    +0
    As, always thanks for the lovely replies

To Mahogany_Brown, I say we all need to spread the word to each other not to use the word and why. It's that simple. We need to correct alot of the things that we are beginning to turn into genetic realities. We will call each other the N-word or a derivitave and blind ourselves to the fact that we have the right to do so. We allow Emminem and other White Rappers to say it in their verses because they are sharing in our culture.
    Yes, we are a very influential and financially rich people. We spend all our cash on designer gear. Most of our kids have boxes of Timbs, Airforce ones, and have pagers and cell phones. But, how many of us have our own stores where our children work the registers and stock the shelves? I would say not many. If you go in an Asian store it is family run. Their kidsare working there while doing their homework. Not running the streets, like ours.
    Our kids are playing without adult supervision, doing who knows what and how? Our adults are either bad role models are not around at all. we still blame drugs on the government when we sell them to ourselves in our communities. We try to clear our consciencesby saying Blacks don't fly drugs in America. (What a big lie) Since, the best place to learn how to fly is the service and The Tuskegee Airmen proved that Blacks can fly and do it better than others. I find this to be a lie too. As, long as someones willing to pay a Black pilot to fly drugs it will be done. Even though I have only seen a Black pilot captured on tv. I'm sure there are plenty more.
    I don't know about you but I have been to many other countries. People don't even own dirt there. We have it excellent here. I admit the White man has blocked me or held me back many times. But, most of the time I don't even know about it. I'm talking about job interviews here. I'm too busy trying to get a job that I just keep pressing on instead of crying about the White man. The problem with Blacks is they will screw you over and tell you to your face. As, far as asking our people why they use the word. They call themselves making a negative word positive. That doesn't work for me. I have decided that anyone that uses the N-word on a daily basis is not on the same positive level I am. I hope this addressed your concerns. I will not express my thoughts on this anymore. But, I will cover some similar issues in other new topics. Thanks for reading this topic and you can submit your essays and thoughts to my magazine listed below

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    back to the top forth there are many yet still need to know
    this and all the flava it bring to us and why we should not
    speaketh such word of our own race ......Thank u for this
    all should read and know .......a learning wisdom spoken within