Black History : ON THIS DAY (1966) HUEY NEWTON AND BOOBY SEAL FOUNDED THE BLACK PANTHERS

All I can say is, those images speak very loudly about the times, over 40 years ago. "Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud," became the mantra of the day for Black people who protested against racism and fought for equality. Straightening combs were put away in a drawer or thrown away completely. Picks and Afro-Sheen became the new "must have." And really, when you think about the struggles of Black people back then, were they different than what we are struggling for today? But people were different then, much different than we are today. Black people seemed more ready and willing to take great risks of their personal safety to fight for what they believed in as a race of people. We have way MORE information available to us today than we had back then. We know more now than we ever imagined possible 40 years ago. To a large degree, we're more educated and have a wealthier class than we could have ever hoped for. But we're less unified today than, do I dare say, when we were enslaved...even during the Jim Crow era. We have greater "freedom" or at least, liberties today, yet we seem more disenfranchised than ever before. Likened to a slave uprising, we won some battles 40 years ago but did we lose the war? Something is wrong with this picture. :(

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back