Black Women : On the Verge: Are We Leaving Black Men Behind?

Funny how the media ( so-called black media also ) always points out how we are lagging behind sistas in everything except what's bad. The media never points out how brothas have a new game. How black men lead all others including black women, in starting our own businesses! That's a fact few people, black or white even know. I told a male friend and female friend that bit of information, and they were both surprised. These are both black people. The female was scepticle because she said "she never heard that on the news" However, she does believe that black women are in getting college degrees and out pacing black men. Why? Because she heard it on the news. It's just a shame how many of us never put the media under the microscope like we should. :book:

That's my "BIG" opinion.

bigtown said:
Funny how the media ( so-called black media also ) always points out how we are lagging behind sistas in everything except what's bad. The media never points out how brothas have a new game. How black men lead all others including black women, in starting our own businesses!

I have read this before brother Bigtown, it just never makes it to the cover of magazines! This is indeed a positive development, and something to celebrate. It is necessary, because based on what we have discussed in this thread...the best way for the black man to succeed is through his own efforts!

^ Black media outlets need to do a better job on reporting things like that. I have heard a million and one times about black women and college, but never have heard about black men and entreprenurship, (though I have seen examples of that in real life).

Entreprenuership is the ultimate gateway for improving the status for the black community. While education is important, if you're using that education to get a career providing services that will continue to fuel white businesses, then it's worthless from the standpoint of establishing black economic solidarity. So this is indeed an accomplishment that needs to be acknowledged and reported more.

bigtown said:
Funny how the media ( so-called black media also ) always points out how we are lagging behind sistas in everything except what's bad. The media never points out how brothas have a new game. How black men lead all others including black women, in starting our own businesses! That's a fact few people, black or white even know. I told a male friend and female friend that bit of information, and they were both surprised. These are both black people. The female was scepticle because she said "she never heard that on the news" However, she does believe that black women are in getting college degrees and out pacing black men. Why? Because she heard it on the news. It's just a shame how many of us never put the media under the microscope like we should. :book:

That's my "BIG" opinion.

That information doesn't surprise me, because I've seen it in real life. It still needs to be brought forth to the media though, desperately.

I believe part of the reason that a college education is so highly prized in society is that a lot of white people want to keep all the money and power amongst themselves and they know that the vast majority of college grads are white,so they make it mandatory to posess a degree in order to gain employment in most high paying professions,thus keeping a wide divide between white and non white people economically and in terms of power.In the past white people could just rely on racism to keep people of color unempowered ,but now because of anti-discrimination laws they have had to
come up with more furtive and insidious ways of keeping us down and out.

Going to college does not guarantee a good education, it is up to the individual to make the most of his or her college experience,some students cheat or purposely just meet the bare minimum requirements to graduate which precludes them from having a well rounded education.There are people who have never set foot on a college campus, yet they manage to have a level of knowledge and skill to rival any college graduate. Formal education is the best route for most people to find financial success,but there are others such as entrepreneurship or entering a profession that doesn't require a degree.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back