Black Relationships : On The Prowl - Wonder what this phrase mean

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by dunwiddat, Sep 29, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    My friend and I were just "on the prowl":( and people get bent and twisted when black women complain about their black men. As far as I understand this term is used in connection with animals...(particularly WILD animals) The person who wrote this should look inward. To me this phrase is not a commendable one. Going on the prowl...looking for a black sistah...Lol.. the more things change, the more they remain the same..SMH.:bye:

2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    Peace

I ain't gonna sugar-coat nor play like I was all righteous all my life and was cut from a cloth that was better than anyone else. I was young once and the "on the prowl" thang was what it was. It takes maturity to get past this, now getting older does not automatically garner maturity so I am not saying that as there are fools that are older than I and are more immature than my children. You just have to keep your filters up with anyone you deal with in any situation, whether it be love life, friendship, contractual, etc.

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The disassociation from the natural word is partly what got us into this global catastrophe and our level of decay.

As far as I can tell, the speaker "threw the phrase out" as an idiom ergo the quotation marks.

Not surprisingly, research rather than passing judgment can enlighten the curious. Webster's dictionary offers this definition for prowl:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/on the prowl

You may not agree with looking at White examples though this is a White language, but here is the presented example for the idiom:

on the prowl
    : in the act of prowling; also : in search of something <his fourth wife had just left him, and he was on the prowl again — Mary McCarthy>​
    The proper use of the English language that does not have racial implications should not be misjudged. "SMH"

Oxford Dictionary similarly contends that usage for people is acceptable and normal.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/prowl?region=us&q=on the prowl#prowl__3

It's best to not take slights where slights do not exist. Or if "as far as you understand" slights others, expand your understanding.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Sisters have a bad habit of attempting to place their morals on males. Quit dating prowlers and this behavior will magically stop. Your pointing the fingers the wrong way

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I'm on the prowl....RAWR!!!