On the Phone With Child Protective Services

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by river, Aug 9, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I got the belt in my hand. If you're not here in fifteen minutes I will use it. Because if you think for one minute that you can come into my house and tell my child she doesn't have to mind me then you need to be feeding her. You need to buy her clothes. You need to stay up half the night when she is sick and have to go to work in the morning to keep a roof over her head. You need to take off work to see why she is acting up in school. Do you hear me! As long as she is in my house she will do what I say or I will whip her behind cuz I'm not raising no little monsters.

Now you have twelve minutes.

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

Was this an actual one-sided dialogue to a CPS representative? If so, that parent wasn't so wise to mention they had a belt in hand. They extend help to parents who are stressed and need relief. It IS better to call in yourself when overwhelmed, than to be 'referred'.

3. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    They can come to my home if they wish.
    I guarantee someone will be needing to call child protective services...services.
    My home. My children. My guns.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... the trouble started long before this phone call took place.

By the time you got white folk all in yo' stuff, as you've described above, it's about as raggedy as it can get.

:heart:

Destee

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, but they sneak in through the tv. They pop out of the nouths of teachers and principals. I remember when my neice was three years old. I was pushing her in the grocery cart at the store. She has this really beautiful long wavey hair from her indian grandmother and she was sitting there primping. I mirrored her actions primping my hair and laughing. She looked at me and said You're not my mommy. Somebody help me. Oh yes she did. In the middle of Stater Bros. It's a good thing her mother and father were there or no telling what the police would have decided was happening.

Sista Spicey, I kinda look askance at people who offer to help you solve a problem they, if nt created, then made worse by taking authority out of the hands of parents. I know from raising my sister through the terrible twos and teenage that a repertoire of creative responses is needed. My sister left her kids with the impression that I am quick with the belt. As a result, I never had to actually use it. I'd just stand there with it and say you've got five--one, two... They never waited around to see what would hapen when I got to five.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Aww Daddy, ain't nobody gwine ta mess wid you.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... you got upset because the baby said ... you're not my mommy ... ??

I mean, did she scream it, throw a tantrum, something more than speak the truth?

I don't understand why the above would upset you.

White folk have always, continually, without ceasing ... pushed their brainwashing and thoughts into our minds ... that's why we're like we are. They aren't just doing it to the children, but to the parents too.

Yes, i suppose they've created new ways to deal with the manifestation of their weapons of mass destruction upon us ... CPS being one of them ... but if we are conscious of what is taking place ... we can try to counter these things within our Families.

Sister River ... i'm not understanding the purpose of this thread. I assumed the scenario you initially presented was hypothetical?

Are you wanting to discuss the pros and cons of corporal punishment?

or

Are you wanting to discuss the involvement of CPS in our Families?

or

all / none of the above ... lol ... :love:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Oh sista I was not upset. In fact back then I couldd not hear at all so I didn't even know what she said until her mother (my sister) told me. I just mentioned this scene as an illustration of the kinds of things kids pick up from tv--these agencies like CPS come in like they're here to help and little kids pick things up and repeat them without understanding the implications.What she said "You're not my mommy.Somebody help me." could have led to trouble if her parents had not been there. So you are right--we need to be conscious and aware of what our children are being told so that we can help them understand the proper use of pleas for help.

My purpose for this thread is the same as my purpose for any other thread--to engender discussion. I have seen what this issue does to a family first hand in Michigan which has strict laws against corporal punishment and my sister in law's kids just ran the house. Yes, the phone converstion was hypothetical. It's a discussion and hepefully those who engage in it will come away with ideas and strategies to address this issue more effectively.