Food Discussion : On Canned Tuna

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by Liberty, May 3, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    [​IMG]

Today is World Tuna Day. Did you know that more hooks and nets are set in the ocean for tuna than for any other group of fish? Overfishing is a serious problem for tuna populations around the world, and may lead to the disappearance of this important species within a few decades.

One of the reasons tuna is so popular is that canned tuna has become a staple food. No other fish comes even close. Lunchtime would be much lonelier without a tuna sandwich or a tuna melt. Over 50 percent of canned tuna is used in sandwiches.

Tuna canning was invented at the turn of the 20th century. It was a means to preserve the fish product over a long period of time without the need for an icebox. Here is how tuna canning works:

Read More

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=572706E1-CC96-1525-4C4A-92AE94619FCD

2. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Albacore tuna in the packs are good.

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    I totally agree. Albacore is the tastiest. And, because I saw the packs at the health food store, I thought they were healthier than the cans. Then I read that they are made of the same materials as the cans. They only put them in the packs to save storage space. They are not healthier at all.

*sad face*

Here is what our article advises about albacore:

"Choose
    light tuna (Skipjack, Bluefin, Yellowfin, Ahi) , not white tuna (Albacore, Longfin). Light tuna has just one third the amount of mercury as white tuna."

It's hard to believe, considering albacore looks and tastes so superior to light tuna.

4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
  5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    I haven't heard of them. This would be a good time to reissue them, as people are now becoming aware of the dangers of canned fish, and are willing to pay more for an alternative.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    I used to eat only Albacore (white) tuna, when I ate tuna. I loved the flavor and thought it was less fattening when packed in water and not oil. I would use in sandwiches and chilled pasta salads. But since all the scare about canned tuna, I don't eat it anymore--the same for canned Salmon. I used to make croquettes with that. When she was alive, my mother used to really like salmon croquettes and grits. You know how southern Black women are. :heart: But mercury is no joke in terms of the damage it can do to our bodies. We shouldn't risk it when you can't trust that the FDA is telling us the whole truth.

Those of us who have options because we can afford different foods must recognize how fortunate we are because there are so many people where tuna maybe one of the few remaining options for them to eat meat because it's cheap. When you're hungry and don't have a lot of money, what are you going to do?

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    Yeah, I agree. Basically, I get my protein from tuna, salmon, and sardines. Fresh, wild caught. But, my understanding is that it is safe at low levels. This is why I only have two servings per week. And, on the can issue... I avoid canned foods. For me it is about Progress not Perfection. Going from serving canned foods everyday to having them maybe once every two weeks. I have n'ever made salmon croquettes from fresh salmon. I guess it would be possible, I just never heard of anyone doing it. So, I am using the "fresh, wild caught, canned salmon". Remember the charts?

Tonight I baked "fresh, wild caught, salmon" that was flash frozen. I got a big bag of it for $11.99. And, it is surprisingly tasty. Each slice is individually wrapped. The only other choice was the farm raised salmon. Yuck! I can't stomach farm raised fish at all.

https://destee.com/threads/polychlorinated-biphenyls-pcbs-and-your-health.85385/

They are saying it's safe to have these fish, but in moderation.

Then here they are saying avoid canned foods. So, again, I'd say moderation.

https://destee.com/threads/5-reasons-why-you-should-avoid-canned-food-all-because-they-are-harmful.85589/

In other words, I ain't giving up my salmon croquettes without a fight.......LOL