Black Spirituality Religion : On Being Muslim And A Vegetarian...

Aqil

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 3, 2001
New York
Being Muslim and a vegetarian (meaning one who obeys the Supreme Law of the Universe: “Thou Shalt Not Kill.”), I am appalled at the constant subtle suggestions and messages – via both the print and electronic media – designed to discourage Muslims (and everyone else for that matter) from choosing vegetarianism as a way of life...

Recent studies by the National Council of Churches show that African-Americans are embracing the religion of Islam in large numbers, and there are other studies indicating that an increasing number of African-Americans and African-American Muslims are choosing vegetarianism as a way of life...

It is my belief that all the prophets were vegetarians – from Prophet Ibrahim (saw) to Prophet Muhammad (saw), including Prophet Isa (Jesus) (saw). Allah (God) is everywhere, thus His spirit dwells in us, and just as I wouldn’t want any dead animals in my home, where I live, Allah (God) does not want dead animals in His temple (your body), where His spirit dwells...

I believe that one who is striving for spiritual attainment should abstain from all that pertains to the animal, and this means the killing and eating of them also. All life is sacred, and all life comes from Allah (swt), and we have no right to destroy it. Killing animals is the destruction of life, and therefore in direct defiance of the Supreme Law of the Universe.

The Bible does not simply say, “Thou shalt not kill humans.” It says broadly, “Thou shalt not kill.” When there is no food, someone may eat animal flesh in order to keep from starving. That is another thing. But it is most sinful to regularly maintain slaughterhouses just to satisfy the human tongue. There are some Muslims who say that the Holy Qur’an (Muslim Holy Book) enjoins the eating of some animal flesh, and this is true, but let us look at this enjoinment in its proper perspective:

The Qur’an does not say that you must eat animal flesh; it says that there is some animal flesh that you can eat. The Qur'anic enjoinment of the eating of animal flesh takes into account the geographical area and the environmental conditions in which one lives, for it would be impossible for an Eskimo to be a vegetarian...

The same can be said of the desert tribes of northern Africa and the Bedouin tribes of Saudi Arabia, where there is little or no vegetation. Many millions of people inhabit lands where there is little or no vegetation, and they are, or course, exempt from the Universal Law. In His infinite wisdom Allah (swt) has provided us with a holy book prescribed for all mankind, and the Holy Qur’an was written in a country whose mean temperature is 85º Fahrenheit year 'round!...

All food, according to Islamic law, should be “halal,” i.e., allowed by the law, and “tayyib,” i.e., good, pure, wholesome and agreeable. Under the latter condition sometimes even lawful things become forbidden. For example, if a Muslim contracts colon cancer (caused by animal flesh putrefying in the colon), or if a Muslim sister contracts vaginal cancer from consuming excessive amounts of beef (check recent nutrition reports on the effect of beef consumption in the U.S.), then that beef – though lawful – becomes forbidden...

It is impossible for a vegetarian to contract colon cancer, because vegetables, fruits and grains pass through the colon. There have also been many reports of diseased fish being caught with cancerous gills that are cut out and then sent to market to be sold. These are the reasons why a Muslim vegetarian abstains from not only the forbidden, but even that which is lawful.

As a student of nutrition, I am firmly convinced that in addition to abstaining from all animal flesh as food, we should never eat anything white. White food is refined, processed and denatured (e.g., salt, sugar, milk, white flour and all white-flour products, and also eggs, which contain large amounts of cholesterol). These kinds of foods – in addition to the heavy consumption of animal flesh – are mainly responsible for the hundreds of thousands of deaths that occur each year due to high blood pressure, strokes, stomach and colon cancer, and heart attacks due to arteriosclerosis, which is the hardening of the arteries due to too much animal fat and cholesterol in the bloodstream. Simply put, animal flesh and white food is killing us, and we are digging our graves with our teeth!...

We are entering the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, and as the Aquarian Age will be devoid of all that pertains to the animal, such things as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and animal flesh as food will gradually disappear, for the outraged human body will no longer consent to receive what is has no use for. These poisons play no part in the development of a clean, healthy body. We are constantly being warned about cholesterol and the danger of too much animal fat in our diets. It would behoove many of our Muslim brothers and sisters to eliminate animal flesh from their diets altogether, for, in addition to the above reasons, too many of them are overweight.

We must eat what Allah (swt) intended for us to eat, i.e., fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, honey and natural juices; foods that provide optimum health for His created beings. The fact is, we need nothing else to sustain us throughout our existence on this planet...

We are entering the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, and as the Aquarian Age will be devoid of all that pertains to the animal, such things as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and animal flesh as food will gradually disappear, for the outraged human body will no longer consent to receive what is has no use for. These poisons play no part in the development of a clean, healthy body. We are constantly being warned about cholesterol and the danger of too much animal fat in our diets. It would behoove many of our Muslim brothers and sisters to eliminate animal flesh from their diets altogether, for, in addition to the above reasons, too many of them are overweight...

Aqil--

I just have a few questions.

1. What makes this "Universal Law" so "universal". All the laws
are based on two.....Thou shalt love no God but me and Love
thy neighbor.....ALL OTHERS ARE BASED ON THEM.

2. Just as you said the the Universal Law of Thou shalt not kill
has no specifics as to killing man or animal.....ARE PLANTS AND
ALL OTHER VEGITATION "LIVING"....so we would be killing
them also right?

3. Is it your contention that vegetarians do get cancer or many
of the other diseases that flesh eaters get?

Let me know what you think.

peace and luv

Dre'

A007 said:
1. What makes this 'Universal Law' so 'universal'? All the laws are based on two...Thou shalt love no God but Me and love thy neighbor.....ALL OTHERS ARE BASED ON THEM.
The law that states: "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" is universal because it is a law that pertains to the entire Universe. And I would disagree that all other laws are based on what Jesus said.

A007 said:
2. Just as you said the the Universal law of 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' has no specifics as to man or animal, aren't plants and all other vegetation "living"?
Yes.

A007 said:
So we would be killing them also, right?
No. One does not "kill" plants and/or vegetables that God created and has provided for us to eat. In fact, God, in His Infinite Wisdom, created food before He created man. Bananas are green when plucked from the vine. They actually ripen OFF the vine...turning from green to a bright yellow, which is when they supposed to be eaten. Thus the banana is live on and off the vine, as are all other edible plants.

To reiterate, we must eat what God intended for us to eat, i.e., fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, honey and natural juices; foods that provide optimum health for His created beings. The fact is, we need nothing else to sustain us throughout our existence on this planet...

The law of THOU SHALL NOT KILL....Is based on love thy neighbor.

I think you confuse decaying with ripening. Animals decay after they are killed...just as plants. God gave us dominon over all OTHER creatures on earth.

I do agree that we should be more mindful of what we put in our temples. However, my take is that we as humans overdue everything. We eat TOO MUCH meat...especially red.....We eat TOO MANY sweets....including fruits....And it is possible to eat TOO MUCH vegitation. The fact is that we need the protein from fish and other meats. We just eat too much. 6 oz of meat a day is sufficient..... We eat more like 2 pounds. The reason for our sicknesses is we do not know how to do ANYTHING in moderation.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back