On Being a Muslim Vegetarian...

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Aqil, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Recent studies by the National Council of Churches show that African-Americans are embracing the religion of Islam in large numbers, and there are other studies indicating that an increasing number of African-Americans and African-American Muslims are choosing vegetarianism as a way of life.

It is my belief that all the prophets were vegetarians – from Prophet Ibrahim (saw) to Prophet Muhammad (saw), including Prophet Isa (Jesus) (saw). Allah (God) is everywhere, thus His spirit dwells in us, and just as I wouldn’t want any dead animals in my home, where I live, Allah (God) does not want dead animals in His temple (your body), where His spirit dwells...

I believe that one who is striving for spiritual attainment should abstain from all that pertains to the animal, and this means the killing and eating of them also. All life is sacred, and all life comes from Allah (swt), and we have no right to destroy it. Killing animals is the destruction of life, and therefore in direct defiance of the Supreme Law of the Universe.

The Bible does not simply say, “Thou shalt not kill humans.” It says broadly, “Thou shalt not kill.” When there is no food, someone may eat animal flesh in order to keep from starving. That is another thing. But it is most sinful to regularly maintain slaughterhouses just to satisfy the human tongue.

There are some Muslims who say that the Qur’an enjoins the eating of some animal flesh, and this is true, but let us look at this enjoinment in its proper perspective:
    The Qur’an does not say that you must eat animal flesh; it says that there is some animal flesh that you can eat. The Qur'anic enjoinment of the eating of animal flesh takes into account the geographical area and the environmental conditions in which one lives, for it would be impossible for an Eskimo to be a vegetarian.

The same can be said of the desert tribes of northern Africa and the Bedouin tribes of Saudi Arabia, where there is little or no vegetation. Many millions of people inhabit lands where there is little or no vegetation, and they are, or course, exempt from the Universal Law. In His infinite wisdom Allah (swt) has provided us with a holy book prescribed for all mankind, and the Holy Qur’an was written in a country whose mean temperature is 85º Fahrenheit year 'round!.

All food, according to Islamic law, should be “halal,” i.e., allowed by the law, and “tayyib,” i.e., good, pure, wholesome and agreeable. Under the latter condition sometimes even lawful things become forbidden. For example, if a Muslim contracts colon cancer (caused by animal flesh putrefying in the colon), or if a Muslim sister contracts vaginal cancer from consuming excessive amounts of beef, then that beef – though lawful – becomes forbidden...

It is impossible for a vegetarian to contract colon cancer, because vegetables, fruits and grains pass through the colon. There have also been many reports of diseased fish being caught with cancerous gills that are cut out and then sent to market to be sold. These are the reasons why a Muslim vegetarian abstains from not only the forbidden, but even that which is lawful.

As a student of nutrition, I am firmly convinced that in addition to abstaining from all animal flesh as food, we should never eat anything white. White food is refined, processed and denatured (e.g., salt, sugar, milk, white flour and all white-flour products, and also eggs, which contain large amounts of cholesterol). These kinds of foods – in addition to the heavy consumption of animal flesh – are mainly responsible for the hundreds of thousands of deaths that occur each year due to high blood pressure, strokes, stomach and colon cancer, and heart attacks due to arteriosclerosis, which is the hardening of the arteries due to too much animal fat and cholesterol in the bloodstream. Simply put, animal flesh and white food is killing us, and we're digging our graves with our teeth!

We are entering the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, and as the Aquarian Age will be devoid of all that pertains to the animal, such things as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and animal flesh as food will gradually disappear, for the outraged human body will no longer consent to receive what is has no use for. These poisons play no part in the development of a clean, healthy body. We are constantly being warned about cholesterol and the danger of too much animal fat in our diets. It would behoove many of our Muslim brothers and sisters to eliminate animal flesh from their diets altogether, for in addition to the above reasons, too many of them are overweight.

We must eat what Allah (swt) intended for us to eat, i.e., fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, honey and natural juices; foods that provide optimum health for His created beings. The fact is, we need nothing else to sustain us throughout our existence on this planet...

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Muslims are exhorted to eat good, pure, and wholesome food. But we now know that eating animal products is implicated in a host of diseases. People who consume animal products are 10 times more susceptible to heart disease, 40% more susceptible to cancer, and at increased risk for many other illnesses, including stroke, obesity, appendicitis, osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, and food poisoning. Additionally, meat contains accumulations of pesticides and other chemicals up to 14 times more concentrated than those found in plant foods.

"Say: 'I find not in the Message received by me by inspiration any meat forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it…' " (Sura 6:145)

The Qur’an says only that permitted meats may be eaten if one so wishes. Nowhere in Islam are Muslims required to eat meat. Meat consumption is neither encouraged nor even recommended...

3. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Aqil

Salaam

You know....

I've been experiencing some problems lately that just may even make me have to change MY tone on whether or not to eat meat.

At this point I don't know, I have to wait and see.

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Salaam, aqi...Allah is the Best Knower...Jazaka-'lah. Many Muslims have long suspected that eating meat, dairy products and eggs conflicts with the Islamic teachings of kindness to animals. Not only that, animal industries are responsible for vast environmental pollution and destruction, and they also contribute to many deadly human diseases. The Qur’an is clear about the special lives of animals:

"Seest thou not that it is Allah Whose praise all beings in the heavens and on earth do celebrate, and the birds (of the air) with wings outspread? Each one knows its own (mode of) prayer and praise, and Allah knows well all that they do." (Sura 24:41)

"There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have We omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end." (Sura 6:38)

The Qur’an tells us that animals are communities and nations unto their own, and that they are more than mere resources. However, animals are treated as nothing but machines on today’s factory farms. Over 8 billion animals are slaughtered for food each year in the United States alone. These billions of animals are confined in extremely small spaces, so that producers can raise as many animals as possible. Ninety percent of U.S. eggs come from chickens who are crammed up to five in a cage the size of a record album cover.

Chickens have their beaks cuts off with hot irons; cattle are dehorned, castrated, branded, and their tails are cut off without anesthetics. Dairy cows are also confined to tiny stalls and kept constantly pregnant through artificial insemination. All animals on factory farms suffer.

The overcrowding of the factory farm causes many animals to become psychotic and to mutilate themselves because of boredom or stress. To combat the diseases rampant in such overcrowded conditions, factory farmers routinely spray animals with pesticides and inject them with antibiotics. To fatten them quickly and inexpensively, animals are pumped full of growth hormones. Residues from these drugs and chemicals are passed on to those who consume the flesh.

These practices violate the Prophet Muhammad’s (saw) teachings to cause no pain to an animal before it is slaughtered. In addition, the Prophet (saw) forbade the cutting off of tails and other mutilations, as well as branding animals on the face (which is still practiced by some ranchers).

In transport, animals raised for food are typically denied food and water; are given no protection from the elements; and can often languish for days while waiting to be slaughtered. Many chickens have their wings broken during transport, and many animals suffocate in the transport trucks. The Prophet (saw) also said that one should not keep an animal waiting to be slaughtered, and Hazrat Umar (the second Caliph) once flogged a man who refused to give a sheep water before it was slaughtered.

Factory-farmed meat may also be haram. Cattle, sheep, chickens, and other animals are routinely fed the ground-up bodies of pigs, chickens, and cattle, along with chicken excrement and other unsavory waste products as a supplement in their food. This should make most meat forbidden for two reasons: (1) The animals have eaten pork...and (2) these animals could be considered carnivorous, and carnivorous animals are generally forbidden for food in Islam. Some meat sold in the United States has even been mixed and tainted with pork.

Muslims are charged to look after the environment. The Qur’an says,

“Lo! We offered the trust unto the heavens and the earth and the hills, but they shrank from bearing it and were afraid of it. And man assumed it.” (Sura 33:72)

But consuming the products of the factory farm directly leads to the destruction of the earth and the environment. It depletes the topsoil, uses vast quantities of water, and pollutes both earth and water with sewage runoff.

Neither the kindness to animals taught by the Prophet (saw) nor the special place of animals as described in the Qur’an is reflected in modern methods of raising animals for food. Adopting a vegetarian diet is the easiest way for Muslims to live in accordance with the ethical, environmental, and health precepts of Al-Islam.

Ma Salaam.

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I find this information and discussion very eye-opening…Brother Ralfa’il I found a very interesting web site that deals with Islam and vegetarianism, maybe you and Brother Aqil could peruse this site and give us some further insight…Peace and respect

Islamic Concerns

6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Peace Bro. Sunship. Yes, I'm very familiar with IslamicConcern.org...an excellent Islamic webite indeed...have it in my Favorites...

Shokran my brother...

Ma Salaam.

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Once again, AQIL, your info is very imformative and constructive.

The issue of Vegetarianism and Islam is one that I had reconciled within myself more than a decade ago.

Please keep adding on.

SALAAM

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I always thought the dangers of eating meat was a result of the blood it contained.

If we drain the blood out, we drain most of the poison and disease out.

?

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    The reality is, that the acidic enzymes that carnivores possess only react with the blood.

95% of the consumed carcass is never broken down or digested, and immediately is expounged in the eater's stool.

That's why true carnivores possess short digestive tracks, in order to quickly expounge meat fibers, before it becomes septic within the body.

This issue is exasperated within the human body, who possess far longer (3 to 4 times) instestines than predators.

The myth of this obcessant need for protein for humans is merely an attempt to justify its consumption; the reality is that the human body only absorbs a few grams of protein at any given time......The rest is filtered off in the form of waste (mainly urine).

This is the case for nearly all nutrients. The body is like a nuclear reactor; it can convert the tiniest amounts of nutrients into comparably mega-tons of energy, pending upon the functions that a specific body performs.

Thus, alot of food is wasted anyways. The average human can consume 1/3 of what he/she normally consumed, provided that it is strategically nutritious, and still function superbly.

PEACE

10. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Holy Qu'ran 6:38 - "There is not an animal in the earth, nor a creature flying on two wings, but they are peoples like unto you."