Black People : On a definition of Racism, Racist.. and Miss Millieism..

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Nov 5, 2011.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    These definitions were offered by Baller in the now-closed, "I'm Going To Leave Now" thread by Sophiag.. a white user that has decided to leave this site. Though Im not really sure why the thread was closed, as their was quite a bit of substantive dialogue going on there around a set of issues that I believe we need to examine more closely as a group. This thread is not about continuing that conversation, this thread is contextual shift from the actions and motivations of a White person to the action to motivation of the black participants. Surely a dialogue on such important ideas is not in any direct or indirect violation of any rules here at Destee.com..

so, I'd like to levy a challenge to Baller's definitions/usage of Racism,Racist and Discrimination. I'd also like to attempt to show where these definitions come from and how and why they are used.. Here are the definitions Baller offered as the basis for his criticism of some of the comments in that thread.

Again.. those are the definitions that Baller used as the basis for his criticism of some of the comments in the IM LEAVING thread ( http://www.destee.com/index.php?threads/im-going-to-leave-now.68934/page-7#post-712042 )...

1st thing.. Racism is not discrimination or prejudice based on race. Racism contains discrimination.. and prejudice.. as practical elements.. but Discrimination is discrimination and prejudice is prejudice.. Racism is a system of control enacted by White people for the purpose of maintaining their dominance over non-white people. Let me say that again... Racism is a system of control enacted by White people for the purpose of maintaining their dominance over non-white people. And this dominance is a dominance that has been attained by ruthless and horrific acts of murder, rape, torture, injustice and terror against the men, women and children of the dominated non-white people. I offer the African Holocaust and the outright slaughter of the Native American people as evidence. Racism operates simultaneously on multiple coordinated levels.. on a Civic Level, on Commerce level on a Social level.. etc.. for example,
    • on a Civic level racism is enacted through legislation aimed at maintaining the dominance of white citizens over non-white citizens.. This includes the education system.. the judicial system.. policing of communities.. social services.. etc..
    • At the Commerce level, Racism is enacted through discriminatory practices with regard to hiring, firing, wages, benefits, etc..
    • at the Social level, the system of Racism is enacted through the demonization of black people in the media.. intentional social segregation.. demeaning, debasing language and behavior aimed at black people for the purpose of whites maintaining a comparatively elevated social status.
    That's what Racism is.. and more importantly.. that is what Racism is for. It is a system aimed at a specific objective.. it's not language.. or discrimination.. it's an entire system of oppression.. social, political, economic, judicial, etc.. that is underwritten by unadulterated, horrific and ruthless violence. Context is everyeveryeverything. The definition of Racism that you operate under is the definition that the Dominant group has created for you through their media.. its an abstract definition that can be lifted and dropped on anyone.. on anygroup.. its a definition devoid of any real substance or accountability. It simply floats in the air waiting to be applied.. But actual Racism is a deliberate and organized system of maintaining dominance.. and its codified in law and in cultural practices.. Its not words.. or speech.. or thoughts.. its action. And without dominance, you cannot exercise a system of racism. Its white folks that wish to remove themselves from the equation that favor these very light abstract definitions.. they then point to the abstraction as the culprit.. so Discrimination is bad.. not white folks practicing discrimination.. discrimination itself.. and that leads to the second term.. Racist..

A Racist is a member of the dominant group that actively participates in the execution of the system of Racism and/or directly benefits from the execution of the system of racism. It has very little to do with Hate.. it has to do with context.. with action.. not emotion.. or words.. a person who loves black people can still be a racist. The hate part has been refined and codified into the cultural practices of the dominant culture.. its ingrained now.. ground into a fine mist and mixed into the foundation of the cultural institutional practices of the Dominant group.. its the reason why they look down at the more overt racist attitudes and actions of the less refined members of their group.. they are essentially saying to them, "we don't have to do it like that anymore"..

so.. those are the definitions I offer you.. and with regards to your criticism of the thread content, I offer you this: you opened with this,

"Although I haven't went back to review any of her posts, I’ve read through a number of the responses here…and have become disgusted. The young lady decided to leave because of your treatment of her."

let me ask you: If you haven't done the back reading, how can you possibly understand the context of the responses? and without the full picture, how can you write such a passionate criticism of the participants in that thread? I find it to be peculiar at best.. and disrespectful at worst.. you are essentially saying, "it don't matter what she did or said, you guys are wrong".. but, again, how can you judge wrongness without possessing the details of the story? I'm reminded again of that Sophia and Miss Millie Clip from the Color Purple where only the black reaction is judged.. and the white offense is completely.. (pathologically I'd suggest) ignored (see below).

In my opinion, such a impassioned paternal reaction to black criticism of white action demands serious psychosocial analysis.. or at least a conversation.

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    you know, we can go back and forth forever...with no end. i'm not going to do that. evidently, they--management--felt that this thing had gotten out of hand...and they closed it. i probably contributed to the reasons for that closure. IF I DID, I'M SORRY...AND I APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE I MAY HAVE OFFENDED. with that in mind, i'm going to leave it along. if it's your contention that racism have nothing to do with hatred, i'll accept that as your contention.

ENJOY, MY BRUTHA.

love, peace, & blessings

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    yes.. dialogue is about back and forth.. substantive back and forth.. I believe that is the goal of a discussion site.. A discussion about the definition of Racism and the Black defense of white action does not violate any rules at this site. The thread that was closed is closed, this is a new conversation that has been carefully framed. Their are no more reactions to her in this.. this is about us.. our understanding.. our definitions.. our actions and reactions.. but listen, I understand your reservation.. no worries..

-peace..

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I think you got a fetish for white women to be that focused on them rather then us:cool:

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Com'on Ankhur,

Don't do that.

The 'contexualist' made it clear what the focus is in creating this thread.

If..and I stress 'if'... there is a "fetish" it would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of
    discussing these terms: "racist" and "racism"

How they are used, interpreted and or perceived.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well said....I can agree with most of this....I see where you're coming from.

What is "unpleasant" is often simply sugar-coated with something else....like the treatment of the word "n!gg3r."---Now they wanna try to "desensitize" it by saying it just means "an ignorant person."----So, ANYBODY can be a "n!gg3r!"

Yes, much of this is what largely contributes to white america thinking/saying that we live in a "post-racial America" now.

Yeah right.

Black people: "Wow...That's a huge pink elephant over there."

White people: "What pink elephant?!....I don't see a pink elephant."

Black people: "Are you blind?!...There's a pink elephant right over THERE!"

White people: "Ohhh...You mean THAT...Noooo, that's not a pink elephant.
    Well, that's a...Why, that's just a refraction of the natural sunlight through the window hitting the
    artificial light in the room, creating an optical illusion of a pink elephant....My, you're so funny!....A pink elephant!....Why, pink elephants have been extinct for years now!...Now, once-upon-a-time, they were everywhere!...creating chaos and division between the other elephants, terrorizing and even killing the other elephants, but we finally got rid of all of them. The last one died YEARS ago."

Black people: "Well, you musta missed one."

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......It would be remiss of me not to touch and agree 100% with the contents of this post. Further, to illustrate the significance of this Thread's context, and acquiring real understanding of Racism; the GroupThink Project-Group of Destee.com shares this introductory video of three (3) years work devoted to answering the question of the Thread titled:
    What is the Origin of Racism?

An Alkebulan (African) conscious consensus literary work implementing awareness & change while honoring Bro. Malcolm X's famous quote

Peace In,

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    A definition of Racism.

9. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
  10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Brother Skuder ... i didn't see this before, but for the record, when threads are closed ... starting new ones, linking to the closed thread, actually quoting portions of it ... attempting to continue the same discussion despite the decision by management to shut it down ... insisting that this one piece of information is more important than the community's collective peace ... would be considered a violation ... and the thread would be closed and you would be warned.

But since i'm seeing it all late ... you're good ... and i appreciate Brother Baller's response, respecting our decision.

There is a way to do all things.

A way to start a thread defining racism, racist, miss millieism, etc., without referencing the closed thread.

You could have posted your opinion regarding these definitions, invited others to join in, making no mention of the closed thread.

Let this, your new thread, stand on its own merit ... and not attempt to ride the wave of dissension we were trying to quell.

Just for future reference ... in case anyone thinks what you did is an okay thing to do ... it is not.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee