Black Sports : Olympic Boxer Claressa Shields from Flint, Michigan

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
gettyimages-497919812edit_custom-97a9d25a733cc0833b25772d9f72d37dfd705a4a-s1500-c85.jpg

Boxer Claressa Shields, shown here in November 2015, wants to follow in Muhammad Ali's footsteps.

For Olympic Boxer Claressa Shields, Round 2 Brings New Expectations

Claressa Shields will be back in the ring Aug. 17 to defend her Olympic gold medal. The 2012 Olympics in London were the first time women were allowed to box in the Games and the 17-year-old high school student from Flint, Mich., made history.

But winning a gold medal didn't change her life as much as she thought it would.

More

636073833297270040-USP-OLYMPICS-BOXING-84625888.JPG

Claressa Shields stood on the podium on Sunday afternoon with the Olympic gold medal hanging around her neck that she had just won in women’s boxing. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her other gold medal, the one she won in London at the 2012 Games.

She slipped it over her head, looked down at both medals at her chest and let out a huge smile. It was historic on so many levels, something never seen before. Shields became the first U.S. boxer to win two gold medals.

“I’m the two-time Olympic champion!” Shields said, defeating the Netherland’s Nouchka Fontijn in the women’s middleweight (75-kilogram) division in a unanimous decision. “Oh my God, I feel like I’m dreaming. I don’t want to wake up right now. Please tell me I’m not dreaming.”:cheerleader:

I loved Flo Jo and was so sad when she passed away and at such a young age. She was an amazing runner who started the trend of wearing makeup and styling her hair when she competed. Now I look at some of the younger performers doing the same thing and am reminded each time of Flo Jo.

I hope that whatever fame Claressa receives from having won 2 gold Olympic medals that it is followed by fortune. It would be good for her to have a trusted mentor who can guide her future in terms of endorsements and business opportunities. She's still young so she may want to continue competing and setting bigger records and that will only fatten her wallet and her recognition. To say what this would do for her and her family in Flint can not be over stated. This young woman is a diamond in the rough. Earvin Magic Johnson would be a great mentor for her, don't you think?

I totally agree with all of your suggestions of possible mentors, Bro. UB. What about Kobe now that he's venturing out into the corporate world post-retirement from the NBA? I don't know much about him, to be honest, other than I've heard a few scandals he's been involved in. But it seems he's recovered from them and gotten his life back together, as have many of these athletes who have been around for a long time, thankfully.

I don't know about you all but I'm so proud of our sons and daughters that performed at the 2016 Olympics...talk about awesome!!

Simone Manuel (bottom right) is another amazing athlete that deserves more recognition and possible mentoring. And, Simone Biles (bottom left) is a story unto herself with her multiple gold medal wins. She's well deserving of the attention, BUT, it seems that the media wants to focus more on her story as opposed to these other women, including her team mate, Gabbie Douglas. BUT, I am proud of them ALL because I'm sure if we knew all of their stories, it took quite a lot for them to get where they are.

simone-gold-medals-historic-wins-olympics-rio-0ac097af-8a0f-4a39-8f2d-3f0f317583c2.jpg

GTY_gabby_douglas_1_jt_160711_4x3_992.jpg

Gabbie Douglas, Gold Medalalist

#Blackgirlmagic: African-American Women Take Spotlight at Rio Olympics
blk_olympic_women-591631160_2a21f10611111882f30bfcfc4d25e131.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

4x100.jpg

Women's Track Team :running:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back