Black History Culture : Olmecs: African Presence in Americas

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by soulsearcher, Nov 14, 2005.

1. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    The Olmecs: An African Presence in Early America
    [Excerpt from a larger article]
    By Paul A. Barton

'According to an archeologist who recently participated in archeological work in Mexico, One of the most ancient civilizations in the Americas, the Black (Negritic) Olmecs developed a calendar that goes back to about 3,113 years Before Christ. The archeologist who appeared on the Art Bell show made that point.

The ancient "Olmecs" of Mexico and Mesoamerica are one of the most intriguing civilizations of the Americas. In fact, they are the first civilization in Mexico and it was from them that all other civilizations in Mesoamerica followed.

Yet, the fact that the Olmecs were most likely a Black civilization of African origins has not been made public and the "Indian" elements in Mexico have gained more prominence to the extent that the Negroid substrata of the ancient Mexican/Mesoamerican civilizations has been kept hidden.

Yet, over the past many years, various levels of proof have been found linking the "Olmecs" to Africans in the Western part of Africa.'

Linguistic Similarities

Studies done by researchers such as Ivan Van Sertima (They Came Before Columbus), Alexander Von Wuthenau (Unexpected Faces in Ancient America), Runoko Rashidi and others have presented evidence that clearly show that the Olmecs were not Indians with "baby faces," or Indians who looked like Blacks (although a few Olmecs did mix with the Native Americans). They were Africans no different from Africans found in the Mende regions of West Africa.

Studies done by Clyde Winters show that the Olmecs used the Mende script, a writing system used among the Mandinkas and other Africans in West Africa. When the writings on Olmec monuments were translated, it was found that the language spoken by the Olmecs was Mende.

http://www.essaysbyekowa.com/olmecs.htm

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Are you the only member to agree on this one? Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, those Olmecs look no different than the typical Nigerian, or Sierra Leonnean. This may be the beginning of the end of the Black/Brown divide once they/Mexicans, and other Latinos recognize this fact.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I also agree concerning the pre-Columbian presence of Africans, particularly the the Mende speaking regions of west Africa.

However, I seriously doubt it will end the "Black/Brown divide". Many "Latinos" tend to resent being presented with this information and many actually relate to the Spanish colonists who expelled the Moors from Al-Andulus.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    True indeed brother Omowalejabali. Anyone who knows of the "true" Spanish culture would be aware of their hatred and desire to destroy the African!

5. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    That's my point exactly!

Just like Egyptian artificats containing black features, there is no way anyone can say..."Oh, this doesn't look black, or black people didn't once exist here."

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Is the book by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima still in print and available? I saw him speak once about 10 or so years ago....very intelligent cat with a lot of good information...

Red

7. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    Absolutely. Just go to www.Amazon.com

You can also find many used/out of print books at www.Alibris.com

8. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Thank you ..

Red

9. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I've read enough evidence to believe the statues and giant carvings of Black soldiers were actually in honor of Mansa Musa's brother Abu Bakr and the expedition he lead from West Africa to the Western Hemisphere centuries before Columbus.

Those images and the military dress of African soldiers of the 12th and 13th centuries are strikingly similar.

I also believe that he and many of his companions actually stayed in the West after coming and blended in with the population.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Very interesting observation. Considering Van Sertima and Diop both believed that the Olmec language was related to the Mande speaking linguistic family you probably are correct in this assessment.