Older men and younger women: Offspring may suffer genetically

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by dustyelbow, Jun 10, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Sins of the FATHER visited on the SONS.

Genetic Quality of Sperm Deteriorates as Men Age
    06.06.06, 12:00 AM ET

TUESDAY, June 6 (HealthDay News) -- A pioneering study has found specific genetic defects in the sperm of older men.

The results suggest that, like women, some men who wait to become fathers raise the risk of passing on certain diseases to their children.

But Andrew J. Wyrobek, lead author of the report and a senior medical biophysicist at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, in California, cautioned that the findings are preliminary because the study was based on just a few tests, one of them developed as recently as this year.

Still, the discovery has endless possibilities, he added.

"This opens up a whole line of research," Wyrobek said. "We have looked at a few genes out of many hundreds. We need tests for those other genes to look at their function as affected by age."

The findings appear in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

It has been known that offspring of older fathers are more likely to suffer from conditions such as schizophrenia and achondroplasia, a form of dwarfism, the journal report said. The study enlisted 97 men, aged 22 to 80, from two locations -- the Livermore, Calif., area and Baltimore, the home of Johns Hopkins University, whose researchers participated in the trial.

Many of the findings found no link between birth defects and the sperm of older men. For instance, there was no increase in the incidence of multiple or missing chromosomes that cause Down syndrome and several other genetic conditions. But there was an increase in gene mutations that can lead to achondroplasia and Apert syndrome, which causes malformation of the skull.

Conventional measurements of sperm quantity, such as sperm count and mobility, were not related to the genetic abnormalities, the researchers found.

One intriguing discovery involved a difference in some of the genetic defects, depending on where the men lived. The California group consisted largely of middle-class whites, while the Baltimore group included many inner-city residents. "In the inner city people from Baltimore, we found an age effect that we did not find in California," Wyrobek said.

That finding, he said, "raises the question of whether things that affect the aging process differ among people with different backgrounds, such as income," he said.

Dr. Ethylin Wang Jabs, a professor of pediatric genetics at Johns Hopkins and a member of the research team, said, "We think some of the mutations or changes we are studying could be caused by environmental effects."

There might also be an economic cause for the differences, Jabs said, "but I would be cautious about this because our numbers were small."

The study could help resolve a running debate about the effect of age on the genetic quality of sperm, Wyrobek said. "There have been some studies here or there that look at a single endpoint," he said. "In one person they might find a change, in the next person they might not find it."

What the study shows is that as they grow older, "a small fraction of men are at risk for transmitting multiple genetic and chromosomal defects," the report concluded.

More information

For more on birth defects, visit the March of Dimes.

Fool mode...

Since older men hold more WEALTH than younger men on AVERAGE.

Really FAR ABOVE AVERAGE.

With many young women looking for SECURITY in the form of SOCIAL STATUS and FAMILY PURPOSE.

This type of UNION which is very FREQUENT, and I do considered WRONG not because of the AGE DIFFERENCE but because OLD MEN greedily HOLD and STRANGLED (KILLED) the WEALTH so that there is hardly none for the new YOUNGER generation TODAY to BUILD with, could put the NEXT GENERATION in PHYSICAL JEOPARDY.

Oh well, that what we all get as a WORLD including "ruthless" white.

I am not WORRIED.

Finished

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    growing old is pretty difficult.
    there are health problems and money problems.
    if you are an older black man you are already paying heavy dues.

why then do we have to take this abuse on top of that?

3. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    You should always question the quality of ones intent.
    I seem to recall a study on so-called "Phrenology" as well as The Bell Curve.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't think by this our next generation is in any more danger .
    I really can't see it from what i have saw throughout my life time
    where older mates and bringing forth children have any damage
    these children are as bright and as healthy, really there findings
    don't hold no solid facts or merit .

what's killing off the next generation is the many youth lost to the streets
    banging each other through foolishness /self greed and jealousy not no
    genetic illiness or diseases in fact today there are more women able and
    standing solo with social status and security , by far our younger upcoming
    generation is in jeopardy , just going to be short to a degree of self greed
    they need to dig deeper into the truth that is displayed daily in life , i don't believe it.

so i say i'm not worried .

5. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Sugar Daddies(=Vol. II, §14.2.1.1) [up] [Contents] [Geographic Index] [Ethnographic Index]

Typical of Sub-Saharan Africa (Uganda, Malawi, Kenya, Ethiopia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Tanzania[208], South Africa) and the Caribbean (Jamaica), the "sugar daddy"[209] syndrome, refers to older, relatively wealthy men who engage adolescents in sexual relationships. Schoolgirls find sugar daddies to pay school fees, etc. (Van Haren, 1999[210]; Sellix, 1996[211]; Bledsoe 1990[212]; Meekers and Calvès, 1997[213] and refs.).

Authors[214] have argued against an essentialist concept of "sugared" relationships as unilateral and coercive. Silberschmidt and Rasch (2001)[215] observed that older adolescent girls are normally seen as victims and easy preys of older and married men's sexual exploitation. However, the article was to suggest that these girls are "not only victims but also willing preys and active social agents engaging in high-risk sexual behaviour" with old males (relationships called mpenzi). Discussing these abusive patterns within the "more diffuse forms of sexual economic exchange", Johnson[216] recently argued that

"[t]here are thus many situations in which both adults and children are legally and socially considered capable of giving meaningful sexual consent despite being massively disadvantaged in relation to their sexual partner in terms of socio-economic power. It follows, then, that the Sugar Daddy does not usually need to distort social agreed ideas about childhood or sexual consent in order to rationalise a sexual relationship with a teenage girl. Nor can his motivations necessarily be described as aberrant. In many cultures, youthful female bodies are considered sexually desirable, and men are expected to demonstrate their masculinity through their capacity to command sexual access to 'desirable' female bodies".

Ba (1981)[217] suggests that early sexual experience is common among urbanised youth, using data from French West Africa. Sexual games played in childhood rapidly change into monetarised relationships, which would be tacitly accepted by society.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From a link I posted in Genitalia on the Forehead....

It is HAPPENING MUCH more NOW.

And God is allowing it to HAPPEN but the PENALTY will come DUE LATER.

For me, that's FINE.

Not because of the AGE DIFFERNCE but OLDER MEN KILLING the WEALTH and HOLDING (STANGLING) IT for the YOUNGER GENERATION of MEN for their FAMILY. IT BECOMES A VICIOUS CYCLE. And allowing this to OCCUR more FREQUENT in their FAVOR or UNDERTANDING.

That is what I am referring to. The LATER is MANIFESTING ALREADY with THIS ARTICLE announce.

Only DISCERNMENT can SEE such MATTERS.

I AM NOT JUSTIFIED.

ALSO, I AM NOT WORRIED. Just putting my VIEW or OPINION on things that is ALL like anyone ELSE.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Are you familiar with the concept of "horizontal violence"?

Are you aware how this "horizontal violence" manifests in the Black community?

PLAYA HATIN' is a "culture" among Black YOUTH....

7. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Is it with the 'I GOT MINES' talk?

Otherwise I am happy 'YOU GOT YOURS' but dont be suprised when your DESCENDANTS say you CURSED US and why YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING about the HELL we are LIVING. It has BECOME HELL EVERYWHERE they will SAY.

Oh well.

8. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Can I really say that my ANCESTORS made it hell if I am alive today thanks to them.

They wanted to go back to Africa not make America into HELL. The only thing they left for US was how to LIVE under OPPRESSION and to have HOPE.

If I am alive today it WORKS.

Why add my own destructive WAYS I just LEARNED in this WORLD to this principle?

That's it.

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    What are you talking about?

I have spent over 20 years teaching/mentoring youth while witnessing so many who destroy each other caught up in gang violence. If you are living in hell do you take any responsibility for the hell you are creating?

When older gang leaders such as Tookie Williams and Bo Taylor call for peace but "baby g's" say ***** THAT then do those same "baby g's" take any responsibility for breaking the truces brokered by their elder "OG's"?

Now you wanna blame older men because younger women cant relate to your wanna be gangsta personna and your lack of style and inability to find a decent job because you cant hold a conversation past "Holla at'cha boi"?

be 4 you can pull yourself up by your "bootstraps" now you need to first pull up ypur pants learn how to walk str8 with ya headz up and blame urself for ur own weak game if ya losin it....aight!

10. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21

Want a taste of what HELL will be for the NEXT GENERATION.

It's happening NOW.

I will hopefully put it SIMPLE.

HELL is a lack of PREPARATION for the WORLD to COME.

Ok so, my generation decides to take anything any everything this land had at AFFORDABLE prices.

I just got out the military and the GOVERNMENT gives me a GI BILL for me to LIVE in the SUBURBS built by BUSINESS and GOVERNMENT.

I am a poor BLACK living in SHANTYTOWN with no CONVIENCES running water electricity etc, then the GOVERNMENT with BUSINESS all of a SUDDEN say move off this WHICH IS LAND LEGALLY YOURS for PUBLIC HOUSING. That's the TRADE OFF.

DECADES LATER.
    Its your THIRD generation from the TIME these DECISIONS have HAPPEN. Things are REALLY EXPENSIVE. BUYING A HOUSE IS EXPENSIVE.
    YOUR WIFE and YOURSELF are WORKING TWO OR MORE JOBS TO KEEP UP.
    NO TIME FOR YOUR FAMILY.

BEFORE ALL YOU NEEDED WAS YOUR HIGH SCHOOL OR LESS TO GET A DECENT JOB TO COVER EVERYTHING.

NOW YOU NEED A COLLEGE DEGREE and MORE to do that.

TODAY BUSINESSES have moved overseas DUE TO ENORMOUS PLUDERING OF RESOURCES and PUTTING A PRICE on EVERYTHING with the GOVERNMENT.

JOBS have LESS VALUE, LESS PAY, LESS BENEFITS.

HELL STARTING ALREADY.

PUBLIC HOUSING has A LONG WAIT LIST to GET for a POOR BLACK SINGLE MOTHER. She has TWO CHILDREN. FATHER IS NOT IN THE PICTURE. SHE WORKS TWO OR MORE JOBS. NO TIME FOR YOUR CHILDREN.

LOCAL SCHOOLS ARE GIVING INADEQUATE EDUCATION FOR TODAY'S WORLD.

BEING POOR ALL YOU CAN AFFORD TO EAT are POOR NUTRITION FOODS. Like FAST FOOD.

YOUNG GIRLS NOT INTERESTED IN COOKING with THOUGHT for FAMILY.

THEY DONT HAVE THE TIME OR SKILL. (MEN are not COOKING EITHER but I AM USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE OF SOCIETAL EXPECTATIONS)

MICROWAVE IS THE EASY WAY TO GO.

YOUNG MEN DONT UNDERSTAND THEY ARE TARGETTED FOR EXTERMINATION IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.

BUT IF YOU GO BACK TWO GENERATIONS and THESE PEOPLE ARE STILL ALIVE they ARE LIVING WELL OFF SOCIAL SECURITY, GOVERNMENT BENEFITS, BIG INCOMES etc

THEIR EXPECTATION AND HOPE IS BETTER. THEIR DECISIONS ROBBED THE YOUNGER GENERATION.

While MYSELF DONT HAVE ANY OF THESE OPTIONS.

TELL ME WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING IT HELL.

Myself or a previous GENERATION.

I AM STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET WHILE I DONT HAVE THE PROPER TIME TO THINK and HOPEFULLY PRAY.

If that is not HELL I dont know what IS.

Fortunately for me, thank God, I somehow am ALIVE and STILL HAVE HOPE.

I do not let THESE THINGS destroy the PRINCIPLES that my POOR ANCESTORS left for ME to LIVE and GROW.

I am not JUSTIFIED and I DO WANT TO SEE OTHERS DO WELL. POOR and RICH people be HAPPY and CONTENT.

But instead of SINCERE HAPPINESS from OTHERS, I SEE GREAT ANGER, RESENTMENT, JEALOUSIES CONFUSION even if they have a MILLION DOLLARS or NOTHING in their POCKET.

It a strong PATTERN, that is HAPPENING NOW.

That is a living HELL to me.