Black People : Older Generation, what influences are you leaving on the Young?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    This topic kind of came out of Truetothecause's thread.

What are you doing in your community to help the younger generation to grow and become leaders in the community?

Also a thread a I posted a while back http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62891

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    It seems and sounds that when today's generations come of age they don't feel or think what mine feels or thinks shouldn't matter at all!

So, if they aren't able or willing to listen and learn, who can I hope and pray to reach and to teach?

:10500:

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    So you give up? :10500:

So let me get this....how many youth have you tried to encourage, embrace, teach, and they didn't listen to you?

So after a select few you give up on the rest?

4. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Let me let y'all in on a little secret about my generation: If you really want us to listen, talk about money!

Don't tell me to stop selling drugs unless you're gonna provide me a job that pays me just as much or more. You will be ignored!:fyi:

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I’ll turn 59 this July. I have being teaching martial arts for over 27 years. I have helped many young and not so young to develop their cunning and awareness of self and the dangers they might face some day. I give of my self to this agenda. I am the eldest of 15 cousins, oldest of three brothers. Perhaps this was my lot in life, but I sure enjoy seeing those kids eyes light up, when they understand what I am saying.

To embolden and to empower my students to push themselves beyond their perceived limits. To create scenarios that will help them face obstacles in their futures. Our life’s are short, if we get some help in seeing what’s before us, is all we can really hope for. I try my best to give in this way. My way!

AXE!

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    when the student is ready the teacher will appear

the system of white supremacy has set us all against each other.
    male vs female. light vs dark skin. young vs old. blessed vs not blessed. and on and on.

in my experience any attempt to try to tell something to a younger person is met with rebuff.
    i gave up on that a minute ago.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    First thing is i try and teach my own children the way i was taught , how to be respectful
    carry good morals of self, reach for something in life that will benefit them
    how to save and learn multi-trades
    I talk to lots of youngster in the community about what they want out of life
    I try to show them there is a better and more peaceful way to life then the
    street life on the corners
    The value of quick money is also the root to deep evil and often land you in
    jail or by death is the price paid .

Lot of us who are still here , but once again i believe we have to come at our
    youth with a more collective means so they might hear us .

But manly if home fronts teaching is done while they growing it would help curb
    a lot of this

Just like i did i followed my Dad ways and i hope my boys do the same upon me.

I have given myself to the youth trying to keep them positive in mind in a direction
    where they stay in school.

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Old people are old, bitter, cantankerous, ornery, and set in their ways.
    Good for a romp if they can keep it up and good for some money and a place to crash if they got it, but other than that? I mean really :em3700: :rolleyes:

Since they have lost their seats on the African Elder Society where they got to preside over justice and who does what with whom and what - they've become almost useless.
    Wayward they are. They are scared of the youth, the youth terrifies and annoys them.
    They want to control the youth and tell them what to do and how to do it, and the youth have ideas of their own -
    so the so-called elders see them as hard headed and don't want to listen, so they give up and talk badly about them and talk about their parents that is raising them.

I see them, the so-called elders. I hear them. On the bus, in the unemployment office, the welfare office. The poor black elders may be the worse kind.
    These oldsters have nothing to leave to the younger generations but a bunch of bitter talk.
    I was in a place today and the old security guard was talking about how black woman's kid tore up something - LOUDLY.
    One of the white men that worked there had to tell him that it was not appropriate and professional to talk about people and their children out loud in a public place.
    A lot of black old tymers from that generation when they had to keep humble around the whites, and still got that shufflin manner.
    They put down their own and kiss up to whities.

IMO there is a difference between a teacher and a guide. It's my kids that taught me the diff in their own way. I can try to steer them go right and they insist on going left.
    As a teacher - when I want you go right, danggit you should go right like I said, no ifs, ands, or butts about it. That's how the elders are.
    But as a guide, I lift up off that sorta control and ask them why they want to go left? What's important about going left?
    Do they know what lies to the left? OK, check it - lets talk about it. Let's weigh the left against the right and see which is the best choice for you.
    Then we weigh the pros against the cons and guess what? The kids wants to go right but they think it was their decision to do so - and it was.
    If they still want to go left, well least they wont' go blindly.
    They will understand the consequences and advantages of going left or right, and be ready and responsible for either.
    And as a GUIDE, that's what I do. I guide your path, but you ultimately choose the path you want to take.
    Isn't that pretty much what a guide does when you go to another country or place? That's the technique I try to employ in my parenting now.

But the elders and many parents dont' understand, and their teaching is all about control and 'if I say it's this way, it's this way.
    If you do it another way, then you are hard headed and don't listen. You're a lost cause.' So now they think all the youth are a lost cause.

Testament - that is so untrue. YOUNG PEOPLE DO LISTEN!
    But they also want their autonomy. Many are not like the youth of yesteryear and follow blindly in the steps of the elder or parents.
    They may not know what they want or how to get it, but they have an idea that they don't want what the parents have or how the parents and elders have gotten it.
    They want to do it differently - and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not about control anymore, it's about guidance now.
    The youth will make their own decisions but they must be guided in figuring out what decisions they have, and which ones will be good ones in the long and short run.
    Then they decide, and with the right guidance, it will be the decision we want for them to make. It's ain't about no 'I said this and you must do this' any more.
    That will send all the youth into a wayward frenzy. That is why they are so messed up now. All the adults want to control but provide little guidance.

I'm 10 years out from my so-called 'prime,' and 10 away from being elder-like, so I'm kinda smack square in the middle.
    And being poor and black has a nice vantage point also - because that's really where you get see things at work as far societal ailments.

From another thread, here are some things I see black elders having a problem with, and maybe not just elders but grown ups too ~

These two are the definite culprits and the reason why many old people are just ‘set in their ways.’
    They figure they are on the way out anyway so there is just nothing more to learn, only for them to teach.

I know I'm hot when I can quote my own self with righteous acuity :em2300::SuN030:

No disrespect to old tymers, I really do like'em. I think. Maybe not. I'm not really sure.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    divide and conquer

statements like this illustrate how black people have been brainwashed to disconnect from each other.
    this prevents the transfer of lessoned learned to those who need some guidance.
    it keeps us all down.

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I think he was talking about children and teens, and if one wants to do a real hard core up front research about the thing, there are a whol lot of so called good youth, from middle class-not poor homes, who want the thrill of the gang bangin clocking life because it attracts the honeys.