Black People : old school v.s. new

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by natty, Jun 18, 2007.

1. natty

natty Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    :yesno:
    I for love hip hop. But it has to be hype, old school and the beat gotta be bad. my favorite artist(real) are: KRS ONE NAS BIGGIE GRAND MASTER FLASH RUN DMC RAKIM THE WHOLE WU TAN CLAN THIRD BASS LL COOL J KOOL MOE DEE BIG PUN BIG DADDY KANE SPECIAL ED GURU COMMON MC LYTE QUEEN LATIFAH BAHAMADYA SNOOP & DRE THE LIST GOES ON & ON.

THESE WERE THE ONES WHO MADE U RUN TO THE RADIO OR T.V. TO HEAR ROCK THERE THING.

I like that they knew what was real music and how the collaborated. these days music has become more of a circus act then something to yearn to hear. Dance songs instead of real hip hop. I love to listen to something classic and think about what i was doing when i first heard that song. So when Nas said Hip Hop is dead it's a realtiy statement that people have to respect. what we hear now is candy rap, something palyful to the ear but boring to the soul. Brush up on your old school music and share it with those who either forgot or don't remember. Pass it on and let it live again.

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i would tend to believe

more thought was given to the lyrical content of the artists you listed

today is a joke and NY rap is definitely dead and they killed it

that's crazy how is NY rap dead feel me on this

this is where i'm taking it

baseball was created in america but happens when Japanese baseball out does American baseball

NY is the birth place of rap and now it can't stand up against the south and west???

great post

3. natty

natty Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    music

music was born in NY, but it became a stepchild to the East & West. Todays kids believe what their hearing is the new hype, and some old schoolers have settle for it because they want to be hip.
    right now im listening to some old, i mean the good ol' r&b that put Luther on the map. This is the music that can lift u up, hug u and calm ur soul. We can't allow the good music to die. I can't relate to pock lock & drop it, lip gloss is poppin, I don't care about that mess. Give me some Donna Hathaway or Nat King Cole and let me get my life.:blush:

4. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    I hardly listen to the radio I have a Mp3 cd player(150-200 songs) in my car and a i listen to the songs on my labtop in my work van. On the playlist I have Earth Wind and Fire, Slave, Unlimited Touch, Quincy Jones, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, Amy Stewart, Finis Henderson, Boz Scoz, Bobby Codwell, Pete Rock(solo) and Pete Rock & CL Smooth, X-Clan, DJ Spinna , Polyrhytmaddicts, Busta, Lord Have Mercy,Musiq, Jill Scott, Ericka Badu, Common, Canibus, Roots, Rakim, KRS-1, Nas, De La Soul,Nicolay, Donnie, Wu Tang, Naughty by Nature, Talib Kweli, just to name a fraction of my collection. There is maybe 1 or 2 old school joints I want but cant find. 1 of the songs had a chorus that repeated" Let's break the ice,....make love tonight,' can someone help a brotha out someone said it was Bernard Wright but I'm not sure (yes I have his 'Who do you love')

oh yea I can't forget Adriana Evans, Bill Withers, Boot camp Click, Central Line, Change, & their siblings Debarge, Darius Rucker, Dave Hollister, Dweli, EPMD, George Benson, Gift of Gab, Hill St Soul, Howard Johnson, Invisibles Man Band, Isley Bro, Kid Creole, Kashif ok I'm stopping here but there still alot more, like Sweet Sable, The System, T S Monk , Pieces of a Dream, Tamara and the Seen Two Tons of fun, Van Hunt, Vivian Green

d a m n I'm gonna be late for work

again

peace

5. natty

natty Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I know that verse and soon as I figure out who it belong to i'll let u know. u name some good people. i see u know ur music. peace:dance3:

6. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    That would be appreciated and if you need anything hit me up. e-mail [email protected] I'm usually the cat ppl come to when it comes to 'grown folk music' I won't just say old school cause alot of the cats I mentioned is still making music (good stuff too) but radio is not playing it. They (radio) is just catering too the ppl they can sway and incorporate in their matrix. The Goddess Auset333 provided a good link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHLBjIF4SEM
    very powerful. The record labels use these tactics that he (Na'im Akbar)speaks about via radio and music video shows to program the music most ppl 'like' If you like something other than what they are trying to promote most radio stations will simply say they don't have it on the list even if their own DJs like the songs too. :SuN025: :qqb021: Anyway let me get back on track.

Who's on your regular listening rotation? :10200: