Black People : OK What Have You Done for the Black Community Where You Live? Put up or ...well you Know!!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Some folks here have posted what they have done, what they are doing and plan to do,
    and have offered to provide proof to those in their city

but let's be honest there is a lot of haters here who have posted nothing,
    nor enouraged others to do anything in the 5 plus years they have been here.

Solutions, and Brainstorming; boring topics(?)
    Community Develoment and Upliftment Nahh!(?)
    Black Nationalism? aw not that crap again(?)

But Jerry Springer ish, Oh hell yes!
    religion bashing Hooray!
    bug about compexion and race mixing , no slutins but pity parties are fun!
    The lost word from the planet Nabu, sure bring it on!

So for those who seek to challenge others, and will deny refuse or refute,
    what proof folks have of their contributions to the community.

What have you done?

Really?

Now it's time to put up or shut up so folks can honestly see that this is about a serious concern for the community, and flush out the fakes and phonies

or is this simply about hate!

2. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I think the thread would've been better if it had gone something like this:

Title:
    Edit Original Post:
    A few things I've done recently myself:
    • Replace of my quick stop sources of consumption with local people instead of chains.
    • Donated clothing no longer in use, but still in good condition.
    • Volunteered at the main food Kitchen around here.
    • Supported door to door campaigns to inform people about services available in the city and county
    • Micro-lending
    • Continued support for a few non-profit organizations and charities

3. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    honestly nothing. i did once do volunteer work but tht was for school n not because i wanted to (though i enjoyed it)

but right now ima junior n attend school 500 miles from home at a large university for 8 months a year. im poor n dont have time for myself hardly

what you want me to do right now? we may can talk in the summer about this.

or you can give me a few years to get my degree. i wont shun my city =)

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    What is the purpose of this post if not to "challenge others??"

Here you are attempting to "chastise" others when you're doing the same thing with this post.

Is this post sincerely about the "good of the collective" or..."is this simply about hate?"

Is this "Something To Prove/Or Something To Share, Inform, Inspire and Uplift?"
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads...ing-to-share-inform-inspire-and-uplift.62980/

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    are you an armchair revolutinary?

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Another of the top 3 traits of a 'arm-chair revolutionary' is that THEY DON'T LIKE TO BE QUESTIONED OR CHALLENGED!!

This thread is the ultimate proof of that!!

Thanks for starting it....:toast:

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    How can you even ask such a question when you don't even know what the term means? :lol:

YOU align this term with the term "arm-chair quarterback" and even think it means "someone who doesn't like sports." roflmbo

So, when you don't even know what the ORIGINAL phrase means, how could you possibly question anyone on another? :lol:

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Soooo, lemme see if I've got this right?.....This thread topic/title is 'sposed tah be about one's active involvement in in one's COMMUNITY, riiiight??

Well, if so, then what does what anyone posts ONLINE or what they've said ONLINE in 5 years or so has ANY BEARING on what anyone may be doing in his or her REAL-LIFE COMMUNITIES??

And, truthfully, as for POSTING what someone has done in or for their communities, for people who DO NOT seek such SELF-AGGRANDIZING "pats on the back," for people who DO NOT seek to be publicly PRAISED for their activism, for people who DO NOT BOAST and BRAG about what they've done for others, for people who have nothing TO PROVE about themselves, their worth or their character...for people who are STRONG enough in their own self-esteem who DO NOT need CYBER KUDOS to make them feel better about themselves.....such people WILL NOT POST WHAT THEY'VE DONE IN THEIR COMMUNITIES, not only because of the aforementioned but also because they have enough RESPECT for the people they've helped NOT TO ADVERTISE and BROADCAST who they've helped or what they've done for others just to make themselves LOOK and FEEL BIGGER than their LOW SELF-ESTEEM will allow them.

Proverbs 27:
    [2] Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Matthew 6
    [1] Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    [2] Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    [3] But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
    [4] That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

9. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343

Greetings Brother Ankhur.....

I've posted something about this topic some time ago..sence it was a few years before your time I'll gladly repost it. Back in the day some 32yrs ago, I got involved with a bunch of Brothers that was just hanging out. We'd meet everyday at one of the brother's auto garage and drink. At that time there were just a few of us..maybe 7 or 8 of us. It was located right down the street from the clubs, so it was a convenient place for all to meet and watch the ladies as they entered the club...te he he ...Back in those days, there was a thing called "Happy Hour" that happened on Mon-Wed-Fri. So as the clubs were having their happy hour ...we would have ours. Now what started out as a way to watch ladies parade back and forth from the clubs, turn into a social club with 27 members. In the summer time we'd even BBQ as we watched and you know that attracted the ladies..hahahahhaha. We had outgrown-ed our small meeting place.

Now at that time the city was tearing down alot of old buildings and as I stated we needed a bigger place...
    As fate would have it, among the brothers were some professionals, politicians, former sports figures, pipe fitters, welders,electricians, teachers u name it we had it. So with the wealth we had as personal we put in a bid for one of the old buildings. We found one that adjacent to lots that had already been cleared it was a perfect place. Every day for two years we worked even weekends. As we worked, we also notice we needed more money, it got a little frustrating coming out of our pockets to get the place ready. So we decided to go none profit. We had already built up a reputations as good guys, so we parlayed that into Fashion Shows, Dances,Talent Shows anything and everything to make a buck.

Again as fate would have it. The city was sponsoring an alumni basketball game between two rival schools. It was a blast to see 20-35-50 year old men running down the courts, so they asked us to give a BBQ after the game. Again we had to go to work with fund raisers to pay for it...because we didn't charge a penny for the food we gave away. Now this has become a yearly event. We also give away food baskets on the holidays.
    As time went by we wanted to do more with the space we had...So at one of our weekly meetings it was decided and voted that we open up one of the rooms for computer class for the kids in the neighborhood. It was also voted that a parent would accompany the child, This way we would not only open up the computer world to the child but the parent also. Thus training two generations at the same time..This was back in 2000..and to this day we are still training folk. Every saturday morning the class room is open to the public.
    We also talk to kids in the hood...they come around wondering whats happening, that has so many people coming and going...that they got interest in what we were doing. Over the years we find that these are our next generation that will take over for us, when we are too old to continue.
    Well, you asked and I have told.

Lilpea..:1on1: