Black People : OK, so you're a good athlete, that's it

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Oct 12, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    http://media-newswire.com/release_1038681.html

(Media-Newswire.com) - Whites’ belief in genetic superiority of black athletes is associated with prejudice and negative stereotypes, U-M study finds

Based on results from a recent University of Michigan study, 74 percent of white men and 65 percent of white women surveyed believe that blacks are at least somewhat genetically and biologically superior to whites when it comes to athletics. The survey also found that whites who believe in genetic differences in athleticism are more likely to express prejudice toward and negative stereotypes about blacks.

CURSED CITIZEN KIND SENTIMENTS RUN DEEP.

2. WhiteN'nerdy

WhiteN'nerdy Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Who cares what other people think if you happen to be better at something than another group of people? I mean if I were raking in a million plus a year for sports you think I'll be concerned if someone had a negative veiw of jocks?

I bodybuild and people think I'm all about me. Piss on em'. It's jealousy in people. Has nothing to do with race.

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    ok,so you're good...

sounds mighty liberal of you...what was it that malcolm said about liberals?

4. That Jones Boy

That Jones Boy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    And as to be expected you completly miss the important part of the original post which was.

"The survey also found that whites who believe in genetic differences in athleticism are more likely to express prejudice toward and negative stereotypes about blacks."

5. WhiteN'nerdy

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't miss anything Jones.

6. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32

I remember a few years back, ESPN came out with an article stating African-Americans were physically superior due to selected breeding during slavery. I will have to find the article for you guys.

7. WhiteN'nerdy

Ratings:
    +0
    There is really no science behind the selective breeding during slavery theory.

This 'study' raises more questions than answers. One, I have no idea where the notion of negative stereotypes arises from a group of subjects was determined. Apparently they were tested. The same test than determined a positive stereotype for atheleticism?

The fact that those tested were white raises another question. What results would occur if other nationalities were tested? This is important when determining the motive of the study in the first place.

Conclusions can be drawn and surveys can be arranged to support whatever conclusions to support a certain veiw, however skewed.