Black People : Ohio Woman turns 119 but no birth certificate

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Mar 25, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Ohio Woman Turns 119!

CLEVELAND, March 24 (UPI) -- The family of an Ohio woman who turned 119 said Guinness World Records will not recognize her age because they don't have a birth certificate.

Jimmie Shambley, 61, said his grandmother, Rebecca Lanier, marked her 119th birthday Tuesday with a party at the Warrensville Heights Senior Center near Cleveland, WEWS-TV, Cleveland, reported Wednesday.

"She still is in her right mind and has great health," Shambley said. "She is able to move about every day and makes her bed up every morning as she gets herself dressed."

Lanier, who lives with Shambley and his family, said she was born to a couple of former slaves March 24, 1892. However, she said she has no birth certificate due to laws and practices targeting black people at the time of her birth.

Shambley said his family has tried to get Lanier certified as the oldest person in the United States -- and possibly the world -- but Guinness World Records won't recognize the age without a birth certificate.

© 2011 United Press

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/03/24/Ohio-woman-turns-119/UPI-36791300955400/#ixzz1HeRZOBEa

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    At 119, Rebecca Lanier Is Oldest in World, but Not According to Guinness
    By Hortense M. Barber

Without a birth certificate, daughter of former slaves is denied honor.

[​IMG]

On Tuesday, Ohio great-great-great-great grandmother Rebecca Lanier celebrated her 119th birthday with her family and friends at a local seniors center.

During her rich lifetime, Lanier has seen three centuries and outlived her husband and two daughters. All in all, she has 15 great-great grandkids, 18 great-great-great- grandkids and two great-great-great-great grandkids, according to one of her grandsons.

Normally such a feat would be recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records; however Lanier’s parents were slaves and when she was born—back in the 1890s—she wasn’t issued a birth certificate.

The U.S. Social Security Administration did issue a letter to Lanier that states her year of birth as 1892, but the agency cannot give age verification, a spokesperson told Mailonline, which isn't enough proof for Guinness. If she had the papers, Lanier would be officially recognized by Guinness as the oldest person in the world.

To her family, Lanier is a marvel. “She still is in her right mind and has great health. She makes her bed up every morning as she gets dressed,” her 61-year-old grandson with whom she lives, Jimmie Shambley, told the Associated Press.

Each day she practices tai chi and takes a few supplements, but no medicine for illnesses or ailments, the AP reports.

Her secret to a long life is to “keep on living.”

[​IMG]

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Guinness shaves years off centenarian
    Published: March. 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM

ATLANTA, March 25 (UPI) -- The Guinness Book of World Records says it has disproved an Ohio woman's claim to be 119 years old -- and thus the oldest person now alive.

Guinness said its researchers found Census reports showing Rebecca Lanier was 14 in 1920 and 24 in 1930, suggesting she was born in 1905 or 1906, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. That would make her no older than 106 now...

...Lanier, who lives near Cleveland, has no birth certificate, but Robert Young, a Guinness gerontology consultant, said the evidence is conclusive.

"Both the 1920 and 1930 census reports were based on verbal responses, so even with any slight misspellings, this shouldn't deter us from recognizing who is who," he told the Journal-Constitution....

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/03...centenarian/UPI-26741301084962/#ixzz1HfuZMMQZ

4. TXDiamond

TXDiamond Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    I am planning our family reunion this year and have found several discrepancies with the 1920's Census. We will be celebrating my grandfather-in-law's 100th birthday this year. However, the 1920's Census list the wrong age despite his birth certificate. So, I guess their theory is wrong that the 1920's Census done verbally is without flaws.

However, Rebecca Lanier's family should search for the 1910 or 1900 Census in order to prove there is a discrepancy with the 1920 and 1930 Census.

5. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I'm a little curious as to why it is so important for her to be recognized by them? I would bet anything that if you asked her if being in that book meant anything, she would say it didn't. And just to show you how unimportant her life is to them, they found ways to discount when she was born. In essence, they denied her birth.

I have a few choice words about Guinness, but I don't feel like getting banned today. :thinking:

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Thank you for sharing this!....When I first read the thread topic, I did think of the Census.

And when I found that article, I also thought about how inaccurate records are for us cuz them White folks didn't care to make it correct....names are misspelled and ages, etc...

And I personally know some Black people who are muuuuch younger than this woman who also do not have a birth certificate and/or their birth certificate is wrong.

7. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I'm actually one of them. I'm 54, and don't have a birth certificate. I was supposedly adopted at 3, but now think I was just passed on to a family that could care for me because no records exist of the adoption in the city where I was told I was born. Also, where I'm at now, there's no records of a birth certificate, certificate of birth or adoption. I have no living close relatives that could give me any help as well.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

And there are many others like you.

....not just from any kind of "adoption" but also from the countless births by Midwives from which accurate records were not always kept....and in very rural areas, according to distance and weather, it often took several months (if at all) for the birth to be "recorded" in the county seat/city of birth.

....This is also another reason why our Christian ancestors recorded births and deaths and marriages in the family Bible.

Often, that was the only "record" they had.

I have, personally, done some further family research via ancestry.com from information received from my own family Bible....Most of the relatives who could TELL me this family history (and more) are loooong dead but they left a "framework" of our "story" in that family Bible. That Bible is my family's "record" of what happened and when and who.

And, from Africa, we inherited our strong cultural roots in "oral history," in "story-telling."

And, if it weren't for those histories being passed down from generation-to-generation, many of us would have no knowledge at all of our past.

....And back-in-the-day, births and deaths were also remembered by associating it with some other event like which farming season was in...harvest or planting, etc...and weather...and moon phases.

9. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Thing is, when it came to jail (in my younger days) or taxes, there's no confusion on my identity. It's only when I need it for something personal is when there's a problem.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I bet!...They had no problem "identifying" you then!