Food Discussion : Oh Dear, SPAM is Now a Snack

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by Liberty, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    [​IMG]

Yes, it's true. As part of America's movement from meals to snacks, food manufacturers are trying to figure out how to snackify their foods. The folks at Hormel have taken the iconic canned SPAM and turned it into bite sized SPAMettes.

The snack package is a single serve 40 grams (about 1.5 ounces) and has 220 calories. The portion has 10 grams of protein, and a very high 590mg of sodium (over 25% of the daily recommendation). It has 19 grams of fat (30% of the daily value), and 6 grams of saturated fat (also 30% of the daily value).

Here is the ingredient list:

Pork with Ham, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Salt, Sugar, Pork Flavor [Natural Flavor, Rendered Pork Fat, Lactic Acid, Salt], Sodium Nitrite.

Read more

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=56DD7B6A-6ED0-E8C7-4E1A-81A4BCADC882

2. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    Right on I love spam. I sprinkle cinnamon on it and fry slices. Laugh or talk about me if you want. I wont buy the snack the original is bad enough.

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    LMAO@ cinnamon on it... you kidding me, right?

My Dad used to LOVE the stuff. I think he preferred it over ham. I don't get it. He'd makes Spam Sammiches, and Spam Omeletes... he was a Spam Chef. But, Dad had weird taste buds. He would eat sardine and peanut butter sammiches...yuck!

The thing is Spam smells good....LOL But, it tastes waaaaaaaay too salty.

But, I can't condemn Spam lovers because I have my own guilty pleasures that I ain't giving up.

And, Spam has survived the markets for a very long time. They ain't going nowhere. I guess they gone post this up right next to the beef jerky and slim jims. I betcha it'll be a success.

*smile*

4. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    One of the comments

davemelder
    Monday 8:41PM
    there's nothing wrong with occasional processed cheese slices. I use the Borden 2% slices (45 cal) in my tuna melt panini's because they can keep longer than Twinkies in the mini refrigerator at my office. As for Spam, let me enlighten you deprived souls. Open the can, scrape away all the fat and/or gelatin, slice it in 3/16 inch slices, and fry them on a griddle. Turn over periodically until both sides are well-browned, them lay on paper towels and pat the tops dry of grease as well. Toast some bread, use a little low-cal half-butter product, lay on two to four slices of spam, lather with your favorite brown mustard (if you don't like brown mustard then throw it away), and enjoy. Almost nothing tastier than a well-done spam and mustard sandwich.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    LOL Liberty's Dad! My father was from Georgia and ate just about anything that was labeled "meat." lol

Honestly, I almost hurled when I read this about Spam. At the risk of making people who eat Spam upset, I apologize in advance, BUT, I don't get how you can eat it. Any meat sold in a can is not appealing to me.

Sister Liberty you said that Spam has survived the market for a very long time...yeah, and I would imagine it has a very loooong shelf life too.

I even took a step back and asked myself, if I lived below the poverty level and couldn't afford much in the form of healthier foods, would I eat Spam? Honestly, no because the health risks would be greater in the long run and I'm not trying to go out smacking my lips over something called "meat".

"Spam"...where did the name come from?

6. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    "The name Spam is short for 'spiced ham'"

"What does make you a bit queasy is the nutritional labeling on the side of the can. A single serving — two thin slices — contains 30 percent of your daily saturated-fat quota, 31 percent of your sodium, and 13 percent of your cholesterol. If people ate Spam exclusively we'd solve the Social Security crisis in a generation.
    Nobody would live long enough to collect."
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1161/whats-really-in-spam

What about Tofurkey? "None for me, thanks!" In fact, I don't want any Tofu at all.

[​IMG]

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Oh yuck!! None for me either...try to avoid Tofu in my diet also but have you noticed, if you are a label reader, how many products have Tofu added? Men should never consume Tofu if they want to keep the base in their voices and not grow man titties.

Why do Americans use so much soy in foods?
    I heard 90% of American foods are processed with an excessive amount of soy. Do they ever think of people allergic to soy, or men's testosterone levels dropping and estrogen rising, or even people with breast-cancer? Just check the nutrition facts on your foods.

8. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    Soy is an inexpensive filler. And, it is high in protein. That is one reason it is used often to stretch fast food burgers, etc.

There was a time when soy and tofu were touted as the healthiest eating you could get. My son was allergic to cow's milk, so I gave him soy milk exclusively. I didn't know there was a problem with soy. I don't think anyone knew there was a problem with soy back then. You have to continuously study-up, because the information changes daily...

The Health Dangers of Soy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_1822466.html

9. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Compare the new delivery method

with the old delivery method

10. Liberty

United States