Science and Technology : "Off the grid" Internetting

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Jan 4, 2007.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    "our own internets".

all them old garbage puters can still connect with each other. sure, it's all "nice" and "fun" to be able to do all this fancy-schmancy stuff all over the internet, but in order to do that, one leaves oneself wide open for all the crap that "malicious script kiddies"[aka/to include, mainstream hard/software developers(*cough*micro$oft*cough*)] want to throw at you! (TOASt: Turn Off All Scripting!)

let's see; we'll need to figure out how to build the facilities to get sats up. that's prolly gonna be a step or fourteen, tho.

we'll need better understanding of the physics under the electronics. of course, even with "just" the electronics knowledge we can start building all sorts of things. getting down to an understanding of the physics, we might even come up with all sorts of new components!

but we can get started using the "table scraps" that are being collected, refurbished and shipped off to "developing/third world countries. (one such facility is interconnection.org; i'm sure that there are many many others) (also, there seems to be a rather extensive inventory of fairly interesting hardware floating around with our Brothers and Sisters who are "casualties of the chemical warfare[drugs]" that just seems to keep falling into our neighborhoods. a "collection point/recovery" program that "borrows" the gear for a short time while it is used to teach the tech, maybe?)

intermediately, we could go wireless: APs on/in cars, backpacks (personal area networks), neighborhoods (wireless community networks). of course, getting a grip on WPA, encryption, coding and hardware are gonna be important, too.

yeah, and "power generation" as well: i reckon that there might be one or two chunks of land with fast enough rivers around this planet that are owned by Africans?

"off the grid" internetting! just takes a little thought ... know any Brothers or Sisters that might be able/down for that?

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47

I plan on studying electronics and other technical things and I am ready and waiting becuase you know more on this than I do.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Truly, please don't wait! :lol:

I would just love to do a complete review! Shoot, that's actually the basis for the idea of the Institute of African Applied Technologies: while "facilitating familiarity with electronics" ("i am knot uh teecher"), I would be able to relearn/review what I "know" about electronics through the wonderful goodness of seeing other African Divine Minds learning to have fun with it!

Do that Plan, I-khan!