Black People : # of College Educated Generations

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jun 28, 2006.

?

# of College Educated Generations in your Family?

1. 1

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. 2

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. 5+

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

This is a question that came to mind during Brother OldSoul's class.

How many college educated generations (4 yr graduates) do you have in your Family?

Even if only one person in that generation (self, parents, grands, greats, etc.), was able to finish college, it will qualify.

Please post in the poll above and leave your comments below.

I will respond first, by saying there are 2 generations in my Family, and vote in the poll too.

Thank You.

:heart:

Destee

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I indicated 1, and that would be the case on both sides of my Family (Mother and Father). However, I am proud to say that my Mother decided to go back to school to 'pick up where she left off,' if you know what I mean.

Outside of that factor, I will be the first person from my Family to have what is often considered a Real College Education.

KD

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Neither of my parents completed college, but both have siblings with degrees. My sister and I have degrees as well as cousins in the same generation. So..that makes 2 generations of which I know.

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i guess it would be two generations, then? mom(RIP) and my oldest sister.

(i "couldn't" do it: by the sophomore year of high school, i refused to continue in a system that categorically denied my mind and insisted that i wait for the rest of the students, rather than to push me as far and as hard as they could. i guess they didn't like the idea that the one Black student was smarter than all the other students! which, ironically, is the same reason that i dropped out of the work force 8 years later. ... *{!!epiphany!!*** duh! i guess i should move then, huh; i'm still living in the same school district, and i still get the same treatment!! (what?!! why does right-curly bracket plus asterisk get turned into three asterisks?)

"TechJunkie available for relocation!! Would prefer a climate similar to the pacific northwest, but would very much like to die in Africa." [hey! it IS gonna happen someday. when it does, i'd like for it to be at "Home"!])

5. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    my generation is the first to graduate... people would go and they never could afford to finish... however.... now we are making up for it in student laon debt... yeah for us... i will say that i am amazed at Condi Rice's family... I have never heard of so many people in one family all completing college and a lot of them completed grad school...

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister IfUComeSoftly ... how many generations in her Family completed college?

Yes, it is rare to see so many college educated generations in one Family, which is why i started this thread. I wanted to put a clear example before us, not that we necessarily needed another, that shows how systemically disenfranchised we as a people have been.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    :WARNING: MERTHIOLATE AHEAD :WARNING:

yes, "taking advantage" of the "opportunity" for a "college education" will lead to a lot of the disenfranchisement that we get. those are the people that get selected to work in the machine that disenfranchises us. she appears to have a rather high position in that machine. this is good?:confused:

she is the end product of how many generations of college educated? with all that behind her, her "education" led her to the conclusion of choosing a career path into that organization? QQn ... of what value is that organization?:confused:

on the other hand, there really isn't any other option when submitting one's Self to western "philosophy". sorry, wrong choice: that one only messes up things. just look around you! (and into the mirror to the psyche)

i'm sorry, but this is exactly why i chose not to take advantage of this "opportunity". :confused:NOT

8. IfUComeSoftly

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    sister destee... i think four generations... her grandparents, her parents & aunts & uncles, her &B her cousins, finally her nieces & nephews

brotha anafrican.... i think you misunderstand my point... my point is not to align myself with her conserverative idelogical polictial view... but to say that her family did something and/or had to opportunity to do something that most other generations of people of color did not have that chance. heck the sista graduated from high school at 15 and had her dorcotorate by 26. her father had two master's degrees adn her mother had one... i am just saying... condi is in her early 50s... i'm in awe of the timeframe... anyhoo...

also i am not advocating a collegiate education for everyone. i do not believe that it's set out for everyone... some people prefer tech school... some people prefer real life experiences... i am not attempting to undermine the later two. .. however we will NEVER attack this 'machine' you speak of IF we do not infiltrate it. we WILL NOT be allowed access without the education expected in said machine.

i am a bit 'thrown' by the aforemetnioned reason for not attending a college or university b/c of the machine or operators of the machine. i would not have taken you for a borother that would allow that 'machine' that much influence in your life. i must misunderstand your reasonings.

my ideology is very different from yours brother. i recognize the jaded platform of some of those in the 'machine'... however marking it corrupt and then gonig on my merry little way will not the system... activism, education ( of the system and situation), various other avenues ( all of which i am certain you actively participate in....). i will not sit back and watch it turn more and more away from the what i believe is best for the children we are entrusted in 'babysitting' this country for...

and what 'organization' are you talking about thre republician party, both Bush administrations, or the government in itself... by the way.. condi's family was republician before she was born.... i dont' say that in attempt to make up excuses... i'm just saying it's what she knew....

anyhoo... as i was saying... formal education is not always the key.... i can see that you captilized greatly from your own studies

lol.. thank you for the warning brother....

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    i'm sorry, i goofed. <sigh> well, yeah; i've got my gripes and stuff, but that ain't what this thread is about. i shouldn't have sounded off like that.

could these few bits be pulled out of this thread, please?

10. IfUComeSoftly

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    brotha it's all love... i have a few grips of my own... lol...