Black Sports : October 2nd: Big Fight Night!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Sep 28, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This coming saturday is going to be huge for boxing fans! Showtime is showing three fights: Wladimir Klitschko v Davarryl Williamson; Verno Phillips v Kassim Ouma; and Jeff Lacy v Syd Vanderpool!! In addition to this Felix Trinidad & Ricardo Mayorga are going to fight on pay-per-view! Wayne Braithwaithe & Jean Marc-Mormeck were supposed to fight in a Cruiserweight Unification match on the undercard, but that fight was cancelled!

You can't go wrong with the showtime card: The Klitschko-Williamson fight will be a slugfest between 2 heavy hitters with weak chins. Williamson has the power to KO Klitschko, but I don't think he can withstand Klitschko's early fireworks (Wladimir is a fast starter). If Williamson is going to win he needs to pressure Klits early, and not be defensive...which will invite Klitschko in to attack.

The Phillips-Ouma fight will be the highlight of the card. I think Kassim Ouma is the future of the Jr. Middleweight division, while Phillips is a tough champion in his own right. This fight is actually a rematch (Ouma won the original match). The first fight was a classic slugfest, and I expect no less here! Although Phillips can certainly win...I expect Ouma to capture his 1st world title!

The Lacy-Vanderpool fight should also be a slugfest! Lacy is considered to be the best super middleweight prospect in boxing (although he hasn't impressed me yet). This will be his biggest test to date, as Vanderpool is the best fighter he has ever faced. If he wins this one....Joe Calzaghe (the best super middleweight champion) should be next!

The Trinidad-Mayorga fight is going to be another slugfest (I can't picture anything else this fight could be). Trinidad is coming off a 2 year layoff, and as a result I think he might struggle against Mayorga. Trinidad is the bigger man, and I believe he is a bigger puncher. I will not buy this one (can't afford to after Hopkins-De La Hoya), but I can't wait for the replay!

http://www.sho.com/site/boxing/home.do

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes sir yes sir...this Saturday I will be firmly planted in front of the big screen waiting to yell out Ohhhhhhhhhhh...I love fight cards like this man...each one gives the chance to see a big time knockout....Wladimir needs to work on keeping his chin tucked because everyone knows he can't take a punch for 1 and for 2 he needs more road work and wind sprint time because he gets tired bad tired as the fight goes on past the 5th ....the Tito Mayorga fight man I wish I had some extra cash I'd get that just to see the bombs them boys are going to get to getting it.......somebody's getting knocked out in that fight bruh....Mayorga with is crazy man style....is going to pressure Tito and make his comback fight a little uncomfortable Mayorga is going to make him fight ...but we all know Tito can bang on the inside ..I hope Tito beats the brakes off Mayorga though I've never liked that cat.....I'll catch the replay though...

Mississippi Red
    famous last words"this fight is yours son you got him" Tito's corner to Tito during the Trinidad v. Hopkins fight

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    don't they sell "hot boxes" where you live?

4. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    James bruh my money so funny that when the word sell is involved it completely takes me out of the running....

Mississippi Red

5. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I want to see this fight!

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    It's going to be a good weekend. Can't wait to see Tito back in action. I don't think his first fight should be against Mayorga though. What's up with that?

7. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    The answer to your question Kente is a resounding yes and no on the question of is Mayorga a good choice for a first fight back on the one hand Mayorga's style is the perfect style for Tito to get in there with Mayorga comes forward without fear and he stands there and hits and gets hit..no head movement so he's not hard to work now this is a good thing for Tito it's one thing they have in common as Tito fights pretty much the same way or did anyway...now for the bad Mayorga's arse is wild...he's like a spotted ape man for real....wild he comes in throwing odd angle hard punches and if you're not careful and get caught he'll drop you and Tito is not hard to hit and has virtually no defense so it could get interesting..personally I wouldn't fight Mayorga as my comeback fight .....just remember this de la hoya basically had a sort of comeback fight against B-Hop...KO....Roy had basically a comeback fight against Glen Johnson KO...... granted neither had been away from the ring for 2 years but they were all coming off bad performances with Tito and Roy both getting beat up and ko'd in their two fights ...trouble travels in threes don't it? Maybe Tito is the third domino to go down...it'll be fun regardless full of bombs and somebody winding up flopping on the floor like a fish.... :hammer:

Mississippi Red
    In most cases head movement will save your arse more often than not and when matched with good counter punching will often win the fight...

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Felix Trinidad has problems with boxers who use their jab & move. He is at his best when a fighter comes straight at him, which is exactly what Mayorga does. As far as a "tune-up" is concerned, Trinidad said he wanted to come in against a legit fighter. I assume that Trinidad's team believes that Mayorga will not be able to carry his power from welterweight to middle weight. If they are right, then Trinidad should win easy. If they are wrong...there might very well be an upset. I'm not making a prediction on this one, there are too many "what ifs"!

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Great 1st Fight!!!

Jeff Lacy won the vacant IBF Super Middleweight Title with a thrilling 8th round TKO over Syd Vanderpool! This was a classic slugfest, one that had me thinking I was watching Marvin Hagler-John Mugabe all over again. Vanderpool won the first 3 rounds with beautiful combination punching; however, Lacy kept his composure and came back in the later rounds! Great fight...for those who think boxing isn't what it used to be, they need to see fights like this!

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    As was expected

Kassim "The Dream" Ouma won the vacant IBF Jr. Middleweight Title with his 2nd win over Verno Phillips. Although the fight did not live up to my expectations. Ouma was uncharacteristically flat footed in the 1st two rounds, before he picked it up in the middle rounds. However Ouma again slowed down in the later, and despite having Phillips in serious trouble for the last 2 rounds, he was unable to finish him. A methodical fight, but the result was what I expected. He needs to be sharper if he hopes to beat Winky Wright though (the true champ at Jr. Middle). Kassim Ouma has an interesting story...kidnapped into the Ugandian army when he was 5...joined the boxing team of Uganda, and defected to the US at 17. He lived on the streets of DC, until he was hired as a sparring partner for Zab Judah. He has been shot in a drive by...yet he still persevered (the strength of black people never ceases to amaze me)! Congradulations on the win Kassim....Africa has another world champion!