Black Authors : Octavia E. Butler

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Great idea CherryBlossom!! :)

EDIT: Oh I'm not much into sci-fi either, but her books take a different twist on sci-fi...
For instance, her books talk about racial issues, gender, sex, religion and much more....

Kindred is a good book to start off...It's about a African-American woman who some how ends up mysteriously traveling back to the slavery days...That's all I will say about that. There's no aliens or spaceships in that book.

MsInterpret,

And here is the link to the Destee.com Book Club 101, offered by sister cherryblossom, so that you can get Butler started...Peace In my sister friend, for real!

http://destee.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

Octavia E. Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.

Parable of a Sower, Kindred and Wild Seed I think are must read books of hers!

Anyone else read any of her books?

I was given a couple gift cards for Christmas, and picked up both Parable of a Sower, and Kindred...

I have yet to complete Kindred though.

I seen her on democracynow, she had done an interview, and I for one reason or another gravitated towards her. I had heard alot of good about her work. I had originally thought her to be the true writer of the Matrix:)

I was given a couple gift cards for Christmas, and picked up both Parable of a Sower, and Kindred...

I have yet to complete Kindred though.

I seen her on democracynow, she had done an interview, and I for one reason or another gravitated towards her. I had heard alot of good about her work. I had originally thought her to be the true writer of the Matrix:)

Yeah she is awesome...she was actually a friend of the family that's how I discovered her writings...Great woman indeed...

LOL@your statement "true writer of the Matrix"...but on that note I would love to see if one of her books could turn into production :)

CB,

I'm not into scifi books either. But she doesn't write like a typical scifi author. She writes like an educated Black woman. Most of her characters are Black and she humanizes them. I fully recommend them. And yes she does write in series,but you can obtain 3 in 1 books. It is well worth the investment. When have you ever heard Bootzey vehemently recommend an author?

Peace

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back