Black Authors : Octavia E. Butler

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
I'm a big fan of the late Ms. Butler. I can't think of what she has written that I have NOT read. I really hate that she won't be writing anymore books. Why can't she be like Tupac?

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Octavia E. Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.

Parable of a Sower, Kindred and Wild Seed I think are must read books of hers!

Anyone else read any of her books?
Although I know who she is and many of her titles, I have yet to actually read one of her works....I'm not much into sci-fi; but I probably will do so because she's a Black author. (And may she "Rest In Peace.")

As for Toni Morrison, I've read everything she's ever written except for her very last one.

And there is a BOOK CLUB here at Destee. Perhaps, you may want to join and help kick-off a group reading on Octavia Butler.

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Although I know who she is and many of her titles, I have yet to actually read one of her works....I'm not much into sci-fi; but I probably will do so because she's a Black author. (And may she "Rest In Peace.")

As for Toni Morrison, I've read everything she's ever written except for her very last one.

And there is a BOOK CLUB here at Destee. Perhaps, you may want to join and help kick-off a group reading on Octavia Butler.
Great idea CherryBlossom!! :)

EDIT: Oh I'm not much into sci-fi either, but her books take a different twist on sci-fi...
For instance, her books talk about racial issues, gender, sex, religion and much more....

Kindred is a good book to start off...It's about a African-American woman who some how ends up mysteriously traveling back to the slavery days...That's all I will say about that. There's no aliens or spaceships in that book.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009

EDIT: Oh I'm not much into sci-fi either, but her books take a different twist on sci-fi...
For instance, her books talk about racial issues, gender, sex, religion and much more....

Kindred is a good book to start off...It's about a African-American woman who some how ends up mysteriously traveling back to the slavery days...That's all I will say about that. There's no aliens or spaceships in that book.
I thought that some of her books are kinda like a "series" of sorts...A few do have some similar characters maybe.

And if so, I like to read books like that in order.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

MsInterpret,

And here is the link to the Destee.com Book Club 101, offered by sister cherryblossom, so that you can get Butler started...Peace In my sister friend, for real!

http://destee.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

Josef

Oct 28, 2008
Occupation
Electrical wiring tech
Octavia E. Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.

Parable of a Sower, Kindred and Wild Seed I think are must read books of hers!

Anyone else read any of her books?
I was given a couple gift cards for Christmas, and picked up both Parable of a Sower, and Kindred...

I have yet to complete Kindred though.

I seen her on democracynow, she had done an interview, and I for one reason or another gravitated towards her. I had heard alot of good about her work. I had originally thought her to be the true writer of the Matrix:)

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
I was given a couple gift cards for Christmas, and picked up both Parable of a Sower, and Kindred...

I have yet to complete Kindred though.

I seen her on democracynow, she had done an interview, and I for one reason or another gravitated towards her. I had heard alot of good about her work. I had originally thought her to be the true writer of the Matrix:)
Yeah she is awesome...she was actually a friend of the family that's how I discovered her writings...Great woman indeed...

[email protected] statement "true writer of the Matrix"...but on that note I would love to see if one of her books could turn into production :)

Bootzey

Feb 26, 2008
Metro ATL
Occupation
Don't Ask
CB,

I'm not into scifi books either. But she doesn't write like a typical scifi author. She writes like an educated Black woman. Most of her characters are Black and she humanizes them. I fully recommend them. And yes she does write in series,but you can obtain 3 in 1 books. It is well worth the investment. When have you ever heard Bootzey vehemently recommend an author?

Peace

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.