Black Spirituality Religion : Occult = Hidden

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Some of the Brothers in the Family have created an Occult chat room, and they go in there and discuss ... whatever they'd like ... well ... when i first saw this ... i was like ... whoa ... wait ... does this mean devil (worship) !??!!! :eeek:

I guess my Biblical upbringing immediately came forth, and i felt an uneasiness about it, the chat room, the word occult, and what i may be doing by allowing this to be here.

Even though i felt this stuff, i didn't say anything, let the room go on ... trying with all my might not to be judgmental, but instead to be open, as i know these Brothers well enough to believe they mean no harm.

I'm glad i didn't react in a knee-jerk kind of way, because i had the pleasure of chatting with Brother DARKSIDE MAGICK about this very thing, sharing my thoughts, and asking him what exactly does occult mean.

He said that it simply means hidden. I looked this up, and he's right according to this ...

Definitions of occult:

* noun: occult practices and techniques

Example: "He is a student of the occult"

* noun: supernatural forces and events and beings collectively
    * verb: hide from view

Example: "The lids were occulting her eyes"

* verb: become concealed or hidden from view or have its light extinguished

Example: "The beam of light occults every so often"

* verb: cause an eclipse of (a celestial body) by intervention

Example: "Planets and stars often are occulted by other celestial bodies"

* adjective: hidden and difficult to see

Example: "An occult fracture"

* adjective: having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding

Example: "Occult lore"

So i'm wondering ... am i alone in my initial response to the occult?

Would you automatically / immediately be inclined to denounce such?

Or would you take a moment to try and understand it better, outside of the information we've grown up with?

Whew ... having so many diverse Family Members, embracing us all, loving us all ... is not as easy as it appears.

But if unity is our goal ... i believe we've got to try.

So Family ... wassup ... what is your initial reaction to the word occult?

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother DARKSIDE MAGICK ... this brings another question to my mind ... i remember you saying somewhere here on the forum ... that there are no secrets ... suggesting to me, that there is nothing hidden.

If hidden and secret are synonymous ... how do you explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Destee

3. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    CHAOS

IT JUST HIDDEN FROM THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION DUE TO MANY FACTORS. YOU HIDE THINGS IN PLAIN SIGHT.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    So "hidden" really isn't true ? ... perhaps it is just the best word to use, in describing it ?

Destee

5. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    As u Destee my initial reaction was negative. I had 2 remember how it was when I excepted Islam and the reactions frm ppl. So, I jus took a step back until I found out about somethings. We r 2 seek knowledge and then do what is right in our hearts.
    Peace and Love

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Yes Brother Nasheed ... thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued at my own initial reaction to it, and the fact that i'm probably not alone ... which suggests some collective programming on us regarding this topic. It makes me want to look inside ... since someone has gone thru so much effort ... to scare us away from it.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Destee

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Mother Destee- so you've met Bro. Darkside! I need to read the transcripts from that convo, I know it was good!

I consider myself a student of metaphysics and the occult. I know I write threads relating to both, metaphysics which deals at least for me with the science of black spirituality and the occult which deals with more ancient and esoteric knowledge and would be considered darker, and for some- demonic.

I've learned that in some cases, the "occult" comes off that way on purpose. It's supposed to scare off certain types of people. This is how it remains "hidden in plain sight."

I remember in High School for example, some of those students wearing all black with dark makeup on etc., the ones we considered "devil worshipers" who were into the occult? It took me years later to notice some of these students never got into trouble, never got low grades and never got into fights. Hidden in plain sight. That dark essence for them is used as a deterrent. Some of your Wallstreet CEOs were one of those students.

I noticed the occult doesn't only apply to such. African culture is very occultish all together. A Black Man walks into a beauty shop to pick up his Wife/girlfriend who was getting her hair done. The place goes quite. No one speaks. An occult conversation was going on prior to that. Hidden. Information they don't want the Man to hear. The sex tips Women give one other in the beauty shop would be considered "occult."

Some white folks consider what Black people do and speak about in their Churches- occult. Especially after the whole deal with Rev. Wright.

Historic all religions started out as a cult, therefore all religions had a hidden secretive format before flowing into the mainstream. The occult in fact, is still the puppet master for most religions. When I was dating a Pastor's daughter. long story. I went to his study and he had books there I wanted to steal. Mind you he was a Christian Pastor. He had Dr. York, he had the books on metaphysics I've never seen. Books on hypnosis, eastern spirituality and tons of books on the occult. You think Pastor doesn't study the occult?? A good Pastor does.

8. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +33
    If I may....

agree with the brothers before me....hidden knowledge in plain sight....you see someone dressed in semi-african garb....copper bracelet on one arm....a magnetic ankh on the other....an amethyst crystal hanging from his neck.....a lapis lazuli fashioned as a ring on one hand....most people would think this person is just trying to go back to his roots.....but most also dont know that all of those stones and copper have alot to do with enhancing one's energy field, protection and ultraviolet reception.....my two cents....

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Balance!

Destee,

It is the historical background that goes behind the harmless, word, occult, to which degree biblical doctrines clash; similar to the polarity of day and night, of black and white, of Democrat and Republican, and so forth.

10. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Well, I would look at it in this way. What if something happens and Destee.com hits CNN and all the world News stations.

Would you want the entire world to see the word “Occult”?

Seeing that this is mainly an African American forum, you and I both know how that would be played out.

Also the word “occult”, in my opinion; lures strange and unsettling personalities.

Peace and Power in Reading.