Black Poetry : Observations

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by CosmicMessenger, Sep 7, 2014.

1. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Observations

Back in the day, brothers used to acknowledge each other and say, "What's happenin' " like the song by Marvin Gaye.

Nowadays brothers walk towards each other and look in another direction;

No acknowledgement, no unity, no love like back in the day.

I wonder what happened to make black men who used to be brothers change into shallow, materialistic, hateful automatons?

I guess they have developed a new "be HARD", "Thug Life" mentality that considers it "soft" to have love for their fellow man.

Anyway, this is just an observation.

I have encountered MANY such brothers that didn't acknowledge me.

Now their minds are in their iPhones, cars, women, and other places.

They are no longer focused on unity.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    unfortunately, i can relate to this. i have come across bruthaz who cross the street to keep from speaking to another brutha. bruthaz who looking off in another direction to keep from making eye contact. and, like you say, bruthaz who PRETEND to be on their phone to keep from acknowledging each other.

i won't blame it on "thug life," coz most thugs i know will ACKNOWLEDGE you...to the extent that, some times, they will try to intimidate you with their HARDNESS. coz they want you to know that they're there. but i haven't seen any who would ignore you.

otherwise, i feel ya on this.

3. CosmicMessenger

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Thanks. I guess the "Thug Life mentality" describes the HATRED they have for other black men (i.e gangbangin' and whatnot).

Hate is at the ROOT of the destruction of black unity.

4. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    I use to sometimes think it was me not making eye contact first, then the brother would just look the other way as he walked by like I was too late, as if he made the eye contact first. Then I thought to myself, when I think I made eye contact first and they don't acknowledge me, I don't wait to they get right up close to me, and turn my head like they waited too late. Normally, I would look in their direction again when they got up close enough to me, and I would speak again as they walked by. Then half the time, if you don't go out your way to make sure you got their attention by speaking loud as they walk by, they try to act like they didn't hear you, or like they really didn't want you to speak.

Anyway, it took a minute for me to realize that I was right all along, and that a lot of these brothers be mapping me out and already making up their minds that they don't want to speak before I even know what's up, and they never really intended to speak to me in the first place. I use to have the same situation when I was working in this white Northern Virginia suburb in the DMV. I would sometimes walk this trail during lunch, and I would find myself coming face to face with mostly white people as they would walk by. Most of them would walk by me without even looking my direction, sometimes leaving me thinking that they may have already made eye contact and nodded or something. The same way I found out it was really them not wanting to speak, was the same way I also found out it was these certain brothers who really didn't intend to speak. The bottom line is, you have no business walking right pass anybody almost shoulder to shoulder without at least looking in their direction, even if you did feel they didn't acknowledge you earlier when you acknowledge them. As I said, when I acknowledge someone before they get close up on me, and they don't acknowledge me back at that very second, I just assume the persons eye sight may not be as good as mine, and give the stranger the benefit of the doubt. I don't wait for him to get close up on me, and look the other way. I usually speak again. After a while, you sort of get the feeling of who wants to speak and who doesn't. The ones who don't, are usually the ones that don't even look in your direction at all when you pass them almost shoulder to shoulder. So I stopped second guessing myself, although it may sound kinda late.

With white people, you already know it's more a superiority issue, and who's going to blink first. But with black people, it seems to be more a jealousy and/or a self-hate issue. Down here south of Atlanta, it's even worst with the women. And they don't even look that hot in this part, as they do closer to the city or in other parts. Although we're getting more better looking ones down here than when I first moved to this part of Georgia, their mindset is still the same as the ones who were here already. This is no ghetto area, nor is it a rich area. It's just weird, as if we're at war with some of them, unless you're from down here. Not quite the black South I was expecting. But there are some parts where they do act way better, and look a lot nicer. That's probably where I'll wound up relocating, if not out of Georgia altogether. Right now, it feels like I may have ventured out a little too south of Atlanta, where some of these white folks, and blacks, think it's the 1930's again.

Anyway, I notice things didn't get a lot better when we actually did get those few more blacks in this area, and it probably won't even if the area does become mostly black after awhile. It seems like it's always been that way in a lot of places were you were one of the first black kids on the block, sad to say. I found the same scenario in school and on the job. They move in and rescue you from the whites, then turn around and want to kick your butt. We need repair. But at the same time, of course this isn't all black people, but you know who those certain ones are.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  5. CosmicMessenger

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Very interesting...

Blacks need unity.

6. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    So true.

This seems to be in general with us blacks, including women.

I've been noticing this for a long time now..