Black Women : OBESITY AND AFRICAN WOMEN... THE FACTS...

Brothers and sistahs need to watch what they eat.
I'm overweight as well.
It;s more medical than food related.
Those sugar goodies barely go past my mouth(I'm allergic to most)
But most women go through alot of hormone changes and it's not easy for the weight to come off.
Everyones metabolism is different.
Everyones body type is different.
My sister use to be 180 and 5'6 as poetic stated about herself.
She was not fat at all.
My dr told me I should be 120.
If I did weigh 120 I'd look like an anorexic.

By the way poetic congats on being a cancer survivor.:spinstar:

The "obesity discussion" is always going to cause tension, because it always goes back to black woman's appearance in this world, and white people standards of what is beautiful and what's healthy.

I know my little sis was stated to being overweight, but she was well proportioned, and had she lost the weight she was stated she needed to lose, she would have looked sickly. She was healthy, active, and happy, but because she was so small, at 4'11'', it was believed she weighed too much for her height.

I just had to call BS on that.

I don't think black women should let their weight get out of control, but I do believe there are a lot of underweight people walking around in the caucasian community, that no one sees as being that bad just because they're white. Looking like a bobblehead is not cute, and I know it can't be healthy.

And indeed, when putting on muscle, there's going to be weight gain, but I guess some think we should all be lean as hell with absolutely no fat to soften and shape us.

I'd hope people would keep in mind, also, that men lose weight far easier than females, and there's plenty of reason, dating back to the days of slavery why so many black women have a poor diet, thus aren't always in the best shape. However, that doesn't mean we all need to be the same shape as we get in shape.

In the health section I posted a page on Diabetes, and how sisters suffer more from this deadly disease than any other group in the country. Diabetes is directly related to obesity, or being severely overweight... This does not apply to ALL sisters, but to those who fit into that category... The web page below will explain the difference between being overweight and obese... Check it out, and also the web page on diabetes... I post this stuff not to bash African women, but to educate us all... Black men suffer from this disease as well, but a much lower rates...

http://www.blackwomenshealth.com/loseweight.htm

Peace!
Isaiah

Chronic non
In the health section I posted a page on Diabetes, and how sisters suffer more from this deadly disease than any other group in the country. Diabetes is directly related to obesity, or being severely overweight... This does not apply to ALL sisters, but to those who fit into that category... The web page below will explain the difference between being overweight and obese... Check it out, and also the web page on diabetes... I post this stuff not to bash African women, but to educate us all... Black men suffer from this disease as well, but a much lower rates...

http://www.blackwomenshealth.com/loseweight.htm

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah This is a problem here in Barbados too. Non communicable diseases like diabetes is a serious problem and obesity amongst black women must be dealt with. I know at times we like to bury our heads in the sand, but the facts are there. The key for black women is begin to cook their food. With the advent of fast food outlets many have allowed their families to consume foods that are unhealthy. Grease with fried chicken, hamburgers with cheese and French fries have become the diet of most people. A change in our diet is something that must be vigourously pursued. What we eat determines how our health will be. Thanks for bravely dealing with this topic.
I have seen too many obese women here in this country and it is not a healthy thing to see. A few years ago I visited Miami and an overweight African American woman had so much JUNK food in her trolley, I could not believe. With fruits and vegetables available why would people do this. UNLESS WE BEGIN TO CHANGE OUR DIETand begin to seriously exercise, we are going to find ourselves unhealthy and as a result allowing our children to become unhealthy too.

I have to agree. If a sistah is overweight, she knows it. If she's obese, she knows it. She also knows how she got that way, usually, overeating, or eating junk food. If she's in denial, post all the articles you want, she'll ignore them. So what's up with all this "concern" for sistahs who 1) know they have a problem and how to deal with it or 2) didn't ask for your advice?

Btw, while NOT an excuse, the sista who wrote about bone density is absolutely correct. Which is why almost EXCLUSIVELY white women get osteoporosis as they age - low bone density (thickness, sturdiness) which cases them to be brittle and easily break..... and as they age, FEW black women get osteoporosis.

And yes, muscle weighs more than fat.... and I am a living example. Back in the day, I went to the gym 3X a week for about 6 months. At the end of that time period, I had gained 10 pounds.... and lost a dress size. Not only does muscle weigh more than fat, it's more compact, thus the loss in dress size while simultaneously gaining more weight (muscle weighs more than fat).

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back