Black Women : OBESITY AND AFRICAN WOMEN... THE FACTS...

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Isaiah, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    In the health section I posted a page on Diabetes, and how sisters suffer more from this deadly disease than any other group in the country. Diabetes is directly related to obesity, or being severely overweight... This does not apply to ALL sisters, but to those who fit into that category... The web page below will explain the difference between being overweight and obese... Check it out, and also the web page on diabetes... I post this stuff not to bash African women, but to educate us all... Black men suffer from this disease as well, but a much lower rates...

http://www.blackwomenshealth.com/loseweight.htm

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Im sorry but just cause this website has blk in its address.. this was clearly written by sum white lady.. 1st issue being is that the scale is not the scale that is used for minorities.. (yes, we have a different scale) being that we tend to be "solidly" build.. unlike our pale faced counterparts that can be knocked over by the wind...! According to this site at 5'6.. and 165lbs.. (im 180) im still over weight.. by their standards.. muscle weighs more than fat.. and lord knows i got sum strong thighs (i squat 150) and lord knows my arms are bigger than the average (i bench 100lbs) ... BUT! I am by no means.. OBEASE.. as they would call me ... .and its not a matter of perception.. its a matter of genetic makeup.. and science... this study shows that there is a true difference between the bmi's... of A.A.. E.A.. and H.ahttp://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/77/1/71
    this article tries to explain the difference...
    Dont fret my sisters..
    Because heres an article that explains.. why we weigh more... and have them big bones.. like our mommas said..
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/82/2/429

and in addition.. in this scientific study.. it showed that white women loose weight quicker.. and fat in different areas compared to white women..
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/74/5/631
    :cardio:

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

[email protected] Poetic! YiYiYi!(smile!)

Sisterwoman, without getting into an argument that sidetracks the meaning of why I posted this website, I wish to tell you - again - that sisters who fall into this obese category are those who meet certain general criteria, and not all Black Women...

You know as well as I, a solidly built African Woman from one who clearly needs to change her eating habits, and to work out... Not because I say so, or because a slimmer sister is more attractive to a brother, but because her life and health depends on it! How do you un-explain the higher incidence of diabetes in African American women, sister poetic??? Do you deny the facts, bury your head in sand to avoid the painful reality???

Not only must African Women change their diets for themselves, but they must change those diets as regards their children, who are also sufferring high rates of early onset type I Diabetes... Should we sweep that fact under the rug because it pains us??? Let's be real, young sister... Nothing personal, but I think you took this article too personally, and in the wrong way...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    The black community period needs to change its eating habits, not just black women.

Men can eat the same unhealthy foods but not gain as much weight because they don't have babies along with PMS hormonal fluctuations which cause increased hunger and fluid retention (which adds weight). They also have a higher metabolism because of testerone. And certain types of birth control also puts on the pounds for many women REGARDLESS of what she's eating.

Secondly, it would be nice if women both skinny or fat ate healthy and exercised for the sake of being healthy. They don't. They lose weight to be attractive for a mate and out of this desperation revert to measures that are unhealthy (starvation, diet pills, etc.). These methods lose weight for the short term but return in the long term and gets harder to get off even if she became a vegetarian.

5. PoeticManifesta

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I didnt comment to sidetrack your intentions bro..
    I just think that there are too many websites that tell us we are fat... overweight.. or obese.. withough looking at the exact breakdown of what our weight is worth.. like example... i have 18% body fat at 186.. im porportioned.. i have and im 5'6 inches tall...
    now lets do the math,,
    18% of 186 is...33.48lbs of fat

152.52 would be my lean body weight... we all agree that 152.52+33.48lbs of fat equals 18% body fat right...
    okay,,, now the funny part..

plug 152.52, in a bmi calculator.. with a height of 5'6 such as this onehttp://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm
    and im a 24.6.. which is borderline overweight already. pushin the overweight category by 3 points..
    now 186lbs.. in with 5'6..
    and my *** would easily be considered obese.. why?
    because my natural structure weighs more than the average..
    im a healthy person....
    Im just pointing out that the bmi scale isnt one to go by.

And you are RIGHT!
    Eating right does have alot to do with is.. depriving your body.. binge eating.. as so many of us females tend to do.. not exercising enough..
    contribute to diabetes.. or "shuga" as the old folk say...
    but..
    your weight and height cannot be the only things taken into account..
    ive lived over half my life thinking i was too fat.. because i weighed more..
    or i was huge.. because i wasnt a size 7..
    the fact is.. that better eating combined with excercize combats diabetes..
    and the info that their using linking the higher bmi indexes to diabetes.. can be only taken but so far.. because at 18% body fat for a female.. im actually considered to have an athletic build..
    id recommend that you all use the body fat calculator.. which basically..
    is what they are trying to perdict (no matter how dum they are) in the first place.. it gives you a more accurate picture of whats really going on with your bodies..

and for the record brotha...
    I just want the ladies not to have one more thing..
    to tell them hey.. im overfat.. or im obese...
    cause those are words that really hurt us mentally..
    they need to see where they are.. and where they need to be.. accurately...
    if you tell me im fat.. and i dont know what makes up the definition according to the bmi calculator.. i would have never known to go to another sourcehttp://www.linear-software.com/online.html... and check my stats out myself... not to mention call my gym and get my last mesurments..

To spread the knowledge and enrich the lives of our people..
    :ilu:

And a side note:
    Its Trunk fat that they are really looking at as the cause of most illnesses, and deseases.. those who are a lil wide in the back.. and a lil thick in the tummies... id encourage you all start looking at what you feed yourselves.. you are what you eat.. all that pork not only gives you the pott belly.. but.. the bar'b'cue cause.. gives u the shugar intake and sodium intake to turn you into a candies rack of baby back ribs... i take that back.. fat back RIBS!

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Ms Poetic,

Any Idea what your Cholesterol or Trigleceride levels are?

7. PoeticManifesta

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    LST BLOOD WORK I HAD DONE EVERYTHING CAME BACK NORMAL.. AS FAR AS GOOD CHOLESTEROL.. AND BAD CHOLESTEROL.. AS FAR AS THAT TRI**DUH.. DA .. WHATEVER THAT IS.. IM ASSUMING IF THEY WERE IN THE RED I WOULD HAVE BEEN ALERTED.. ASAP.. SINCE I AM A CANCER SURIVOR.. MY DR. KEEPS VERY CLOSE WATCHES ON MY BLOOD WORK.. ONLY THING THAT EVER CAME UP HIGH WAS MY POTASSIUM LEVELS ONE DAY.. BUT THAT WAS CAUSE OF A MED. I WAS ON.

8. EL PAPI LEANDO

EL PAPI LEANDO Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3

This post explained away and made a lot of excuses for why Black women suffer higher rates of obesity than Black men, and never acknowledged that this obesity is a problem in that it tends to cause diabetes, a major killer in our community.

Fact is, Black women need to change their diets, and work out more. Black men eat the same things as Black women, you say, Karmashines? Black men work out more, play basketball more, run and ride their bikes more, meaning they are among the least obese men in the world(or so the statistics say).

Black men eat the same things as Black Women, and so do our children, and our children are the victims of higher rates of obesity and early childhood diabetes. That is because the children of this generation spend more time in front of their computers eating McDonald's and Wendy's and Chinese fast food, than children of other generations.

By the way, Karmashines, this is not about cosmetics, it is about the health of the most important segment of our community, our women. If men don't look favorably upon a fat sister, that is their problem. If an overweight woman doesn't look favorably upon herself, and refuses to change her diet and work out, then she might be headed down the road to being a diabetic. Which would you prefer?

9. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Co-signs. Most people have no idea how unhealthy the Western lifestyle is. The food we (as in people who live a Western lifestyle, I don't consider myself a Westerner) eat is processed and fatty garbage.

Obesity can cut your life short 8-10 years (so can not getting enough sleep or excercise). The people of Okinawa, a small island off the coast of Japan, have over 800!! centarians because their diet is rich in fresh fruits/vegetables and whole grains (among other lifestyle choices, I'm sure).

Lean white meat is better then red meat (even lean red meat but lean red meat is better then non-lean red meat), skim milk is better then whole milk. Egg whites are good for you but the yolk is high in cholesterol. Sugar is toxic.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sugar is Sucrose, Fructose, Maltose (i.e. Drug(s)); with all of the Technology available today, and as much money as the Meat Industry is making today, please do not think for one second that they are utilizing that Technoloy to process all of the food. Therefore, the more they engage in Technology, the further Food Processors (or Meat Processors anyway) move away from keeping things Natural.

Some (not all) of Our Sistahs are mis-educated and mis-led when it comes to being Healthy. The De-Education --> Re-Education --> Education factor will be needed to put an end to this.

KM