Ethiopia : Obelisk points to ancient Ethiopian glory

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
In northern Ethiopia, in the once-great city of Axum, final preparations are under way for the return of one of Africa's most remarkable archaeological treasures.
The Axum obelisk, a 1,700-year-old stone monolith, measuring 24-metres (78 feet) high and weighing 180 tons, is returning home after more than six decades adorning a square in the Italian capital, Rome.

It was looted by Italy's fascist dictator Benito Mussolini in 1937 during Italy's brief occupation of Ethiopia and has been a bone of contention between the two countries ever since.

The Ethiopian authorities accused Italy of foot-dragging over the issue, while Rome blamed the slow progress on the difficulty and cost of moving such a massive stone between two continents.

Trading empire

The obelisk is the finest of more than 100 stone monoliths which stood in Axum, capital city of the ancient Axumite kingdom and birthplace of the biblical Queen of Sheba.

The obelisk in Rome is one of the tallest and most highly decorated

In the 3rd Century AD, the Persian philosopher Mani described Axum as one of the four greatest kingdoms in the world, along with Rome, China and Persia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4376627.stm

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Thank you for this Brother Pan :toast:

Brother OldSoul has taught on the obelisks our Ancestors created. It was during one of his classes, right here in our own Black Voice Chat, that i first heard the word "obelisk." God is Good. i'm so encouraged by the fact that if i can learn in this community, directly from my own Sisters and Brothers, then surely others can too! I'm often amazed at the many times i get to put into effect, the information he shares in his class! You all really are missing a great treat every Sunday @ 3 pm ET!

As a matter of fact, my learning about obelisks (plural, is that right?) coincided with the addition of our front page to the community. That is why we have an obelisk on that page! Take a look, that's an obelisk! It is on the left, the menu of our contents! It came as a direct result of Brother OldSoul teaching us (me) about them! He has a few pages on his web site teaching on this subject too. Hopefully he'll read this thread and share a link to that information.

Brother OldSoul recently asked in class, as the Pope's funeral event was taking place, did we notice the obelisk there in Rome? i didn't notice it, but i didn't watch very much of that.

So much has been stolen from us, it's nice to see even a little bit of it being returned to its proper owner.

God is Good.

:heart:

Destee

Ralfa'il

Mar 25, 2005
I wonder was there any connection to this obelisk and Cleopatra's needle?

And if there is any writting on it, in which language and format was it structured in?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fine1952 African American History Culture : Tekhen --(Misnamed Obelisk by the Unlearned) African American History Culture 1
P Pan Africanism : Ancient tombs found near obelisk African American History Culture 1
A Ethiopia : Cheers, Tears As Priceless Ethiopian Obelisk Returns Home... Ethiopia 4
candeesweet Black Poetry : Talking Points Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : Building UP Understanding Points Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black People Politics : Donald Trump points and says ... Look at my African American over here Black People Politics 12
RAPTOR Jails / Prisons : Apple's refusal to hire felons to construct its headquarters points to a deeper problem Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 17
Kemetstry Black Christians : ARE THESE POINTS TRUE ABOUT THE BLACK CHURCH Christian Study Group 59
shaka64 Black Sports : Michael Jordan 54 points Magic Midsummer night 1988 RARE Black Sports 0
candeesweet Black Haiku : Add your awkward points folks Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
maf Black People Politics : Heather McGhee has some great points Black People Politics 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Points of Argument for Black Egypt AACOOLDRE 2
R Black Poetry : Controversial Points Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
B Black People : Looks like they may have had some points Black People Open Forum 1
M Black Entertainment : u don't get big hip-hop points for this Black Entertainment 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Talking Points On Civil Rights AACOOLDRE 1
PoeticManifesta Black Poetry : Points: You lost one Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
D Black People : Finding your points of weakness to make young black men UPSET. Black People Open Forum 12
M Black Spirituality Religion : Points of view on the Bible Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 26
1poetsought Black Poetry : ALL POINTS BULLETIN Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : God-Subjective & Objective view points Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
A Black People : War In Iraq Points Up Racial Divide... Black People Open Forum 2
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : 5 Amazon Queens Who Rocked The Ancient World Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
imhotep06 Black People : Ancient Sparta (Greece) and Modern Police Brutality Black People Open Forum 0
Hamma Egypt : Native/indigenous New Zealanders or Maori may have come from Ancient Egypt according to Gerald Massey book! Egypt 0
Fine1952 African American History Culture : Mtu Ntr - Hieroglyphics (Ancient KmT/Egypt) African American History Culture 9
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : ANCIENT TABLET SUGGESTS KING BALAK EXISTED Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Perfection Egypt : In Context Series: Medicine in Ancient Egypt Egypt 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Scientific Mystery: Ancient Baobab Trees in Africa Dying at ‘Shocking’ Rate and No One Knows Why All Things Africa 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Mysterious ancient artwork depicting female pharaoh found by accident Egypt 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : How genetics is unlocking the secrets of ancient human migration Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Ancient Egypt: Mysterious 2,600-year-old Temple/Statues Point to Holy Site at Hill of the Pharaohs Egypt 0
Destee Egypt : Four child graves discovered at an Ancient Egyptian quarry Egypt 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Ancestors : Ancient Egypt Pyramid Belonged to a Powerful Queen Honoring Black Ancestors 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Mystery of Lost Biblical 'Sea People' Revealed in Ancient Hieroglyphs Uncovered in Turkey Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Ancestors : Our Ancient Ancestors Were Forced From Africa 60,000 Years Ago by Climate Change Honoring Black Ancestors 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Ancient Fossils Reveal the First Humans Emerged 170,000 Years Earlier than We Thought Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Who Built Ancient Egypt’s Great Pyramid And How? Hidden Text Holds Clues, Thousand-Year-Old Mystery Egypt 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Ancient DNA sheds light on African history Science and Technology 0
Kemetstry Science and Technology : TRIGONOMETRY EXISTED BEFORE ANCIENT GREEKS Science and Technology 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Ancient Egypt: Tombs More Than 2,000 Years Old Uncovered by Archaeologists in Hidden Burial Chambers Egypt 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh is World’s Oldest Case of Gigantism Egypt 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Ethiopia : Lost Ancient Muslim City Discovered in Ethiopia Could Reveal Details of Islam’s History in Africa Ethiopia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : What Race Were the Ancient Egyptians? Egypt 13
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Ancient Mexican Restaurant Sold Out Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Chevron Dove Black Christians : THE ANCIENT CHINESE RECORDS & The Star of Bethlehem Christian Study Group 0
Chevron Dove Black Christians : THE ANCIENT CHINESE RECORDS & The Star of Bethlehem Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Egypt : Ancient Rock Carvings Depicting Masked People Discovered in Egypt Egypt 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Court System in ancient Egypt AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Loukas: Place and Personal names in ancient Times AACOOLDRE 0