Health and Wellness : Obama's latest food crackdown: Salt

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
Reducing salt consumption has long been part of the administration's push to get Americans to eat healthier.

A 2011 study found that going below 3,000 milligrams of sodium per day — which the government recommends — was actually associated with an increased risk of death. | AP Photo

The Obama administration is teeing up one of its last fights with Big Food — this time over salt.

Voluntary targets for how much sodium should be in processed foods, from soup to potato chips, are expected to be released as early as this summer, current and former administration officials tell POLITICO.

Reducing salt consumption has long been part of the administration's push to get Americans to eat healthier. But a plan to nudge food companies to take steps to voluntarily reduce sodium in their products, launched seven years ago, has been stalled amid concerns about political blowback and new studies questioning whether salt is actually a pressing health threat. Most of the sodium Americans consume comes from processed foods.

One former top FDA official said he believes a lawsuit brought by a consumer advocacy group will finally shake loose the voluntary targets that were completed two years ago but have never been released. The FDA agreed in February to respond by June 1 to the petition from the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

That timetable “is the reason for my optimism,” said Michael Landa, former director of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition and an advocate of government action to reduce sodium.

"It remains a priority and it will come out this year," said another former administration official who asked not to be named.

Read more

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/the-salt-wars-221490

:11100:salt is poison....

Yes, it is. And, I am trying to go from low salt, to no salt. Man, is that hard. I never thought of myself as a heavy-on-salt-person. I don't even own salt shakers. I only add salt as I cook, never at the table. But, trying to eat food with no salt at all, is tough. I'm gonna buy some himalayan sea salt first, but I'm not sure if that is much better. Then I'm gonna try the other herbs and spices you can use as salt substitutes.

https://destee.com/threads/how-to-replace-salt-with-herbs-and-spices.86099/

This is my biggest New Years challenge for 2016.....reducing my salt intake as low as possible.

Last edited:
i'm not a cook but i'm told you can add spices to substitute for salt and sugar......

I remember when there was the big MSG epiphany. I was taught to use a teaspoon of sugar to substitute the flavor MSG gave to dishes like red beans and rice.... Back to the drawing board.

It will be a little challenge, because you have to break an old habit, but it can be done. For sugar, I prefer 100% maple syrup. Just a little. I don't trust any of the artificial sweetners. But, I do like the flavor of Crystal Light and Stevia. But, I am expecting the FDA to report that they cause Cancer any minute now.

Salt is trickier. Cooking without salt altogether sucks. So, I have to test these substitutes out. They are probably expensive. But, what you save in Doctor's bills, makes it all worth it.

*smh*

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back