Health and Wellness : Obama's latest food crackdown: Salt

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Liberty, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    Reducing salt consumption has long been part of the administration's push to get Americans to eat healthier.

[​IMG]

A 2011 study found that going below 3,000 milligrams of sodium per day — which the government recommends — was actually associated with an increased risk of death. | AP Photo

The Obama administration is teeing up one of its last fights with Big Food — this time over salt.

Voluntary targets for how much sodium should be in processed foods, from soup to potato chips, are expected to be released as early as this summer, current and former administration officials tell POLITICO.

Reducing salt consumption has long been part of the administration's push to get Americans to eat healthier. But a plan to nudge food companies to take steps to voluntarily reduce sodium in their products, launched seven years ago, has been stalled amid concerns about political blowback and new studies questioning whether salt is actually a pressing health threat. Most of the sodium Americans consume comes from processed foods.

One former top FDA official said he believes a lawsuit brought by a consumer advocacy group will finally shake loose the voluntary targets that were completed two years ago but have never been released. The FDA agreed in February to respond by June 1 to the petition from the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

That timetable “is the reason for my optimism,” said Michael Landa, former director of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition and an advocate of government action to reduce sodium.

"It remains a priority and it will come out this year," said another former administration official who asked not to be named.

Read more

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/the-salt-wars-221490

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100:salt is poison....

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    Yes, it is. And, I am trying to go from low salt, to no salt. Man, is that hard. I never thought of myself as a heavy-on-salt-person. I don't even own salt shakers. I only add salt as I cook, never at the table. But, trying to eat food with no salt at all, is tough. I'm gonna buy some himalayan sea salt first, but I'm not sure if that is much better. Then I'm gonna try the other herbs and spices you can use as salt substitutes.

https://destee.com/threads/how-to-replace-salt-with-herbs-and-spices.86099/

This is my biggest New Years challenge for 2016.....reducing my salt intake as low as possible.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i'm not a cook but i'm told you can add spices to substitute for salt and sugar......

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    I remember when there was the big MSG epiphany. I was taught to use a teaspoon of sugar to substitute the flavor MSG gave to dishes like red beans and rice.... Back to the drawing board.

It will be a little challenge, because you have to break an old habit, but it can be done. For sugar, I prefer 100% maple syrup. Just a little. I don't trust any of the artificial sweetners. But, I do like the flavor of Crystal Light and Stevia. But, I am expecting the FDA to report that they cause Cancer any minute now.

Salt is trickier. Cooking without salt altogether sucks. So, I have to test these substitutes out. They are probably expensive. But, what you save in Doctor's bills, makes it all worth it.

*smh*

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    as you age quality of life becomes paramount.

it's the ultimate test of delayed satisfaction.
    can you avoid the quick pleasures of the moment for greater reward later on.

i believe that i am still around for the purpose of sounding an alarm to the younger people.
    of course they are not trying to hear me.

oh well.

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    The problem with young people is they are rebellious. You can't TELL them anything, but you CAN lead by example. My son is eating traditional college crap, generally, pizza and stuff. But, I also see him eating more nuts and berries, since I changed my eating habits in November 2014. He's not eating raw unsalted nuts, like me, yet. He's eating cocktail peanuts, while I am eating unsalted, raw, nuts...

Another thing that bugs the heck out of me is, when I was his age we ate Campbell's Soup, which has SSSSoooo much salt in it. Well, his generation is eating Top Ramen and Cup of Noodles. They should call it Cup of Salt!

I reflect on what my Great Grand, who lived to be 102 ate, compared to other relatives who didn't live as long. She always had fruits and veggies growing in her backyard. Back then we didn't call them "Organic", but that's what they were.

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Taste buds will conform to what we expose them to. Our sense of tastes and what we like are habit forming and culturally influenced by what we are accustomed to eating based on how foods are prepared. That's why most Black people favor foods that Black people cook over foods that white people cook.

But, as Bro. James said, as you get older and hopefully wiser, our attention sometimes shifts from eating foods that we know and/or learn aren't healthy for us to wanting to improve the quality of our lives. Statistics show that Black people are prone to certain diseases caused by lifestyle practices. Type II diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and some forms of cancer. Salt is poison.

Retrain your tastebuds to enjoy the natural taste of foods. Learn ways to replace salt (particularly white processed salt with iodine added) with natural foods such as lemon, basil and rosemary. If I can grow it in a garden then in my opinion it's far better for you and tasting than what you buy off the shelf at your local grocery store.

Sis. Liberty, other natural sweeteners are dates and coconut palm sugar.

As a side note: Consider eliminating wheat and gluten (including flour) from your diets and also dairy ans soy. Many diseases we are diagnosed with and placed on medicines for the rest of our lives are caused by these food products. Less dead food and more live foods in our daily diets will change how we feel, make us healthier and make us more alert and less robotic.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • List
  9. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    I know you are right. My tastes have changed so much, since Nov 2014. I can no longer eat the things I used to eat, even if I wanted to, because I lost the desire for them. For instance, potato chips. I can't stand them anymore. Too salty. French Fries. Too greasy. But, I want to create recipes that are healthy and tasty to other people too, for my Family Cookbook, that is in the process.

Thanks for the tip on dates! I never thought of dates. I can imagine a lot of ways to use them. I experiment with different things. I am thinking they would be great with yams or sweet potatoes. I've never heard of coconut palm sugar.

Now what's this about wheat? I am like force feeding myself in the grains department. I do love breakfast cereals, though. Everywhere I've read they say whole grains are essential to a healthy diet. Especially, for the fiber. But, I really don't like them. I think I need to keep them, to compensate for the nutrition I miss by not eating any meats. Gluten... I am aware that many people are allergic to.