Black People Politics : Obama's First Press Conference - "Mutt Like Me" ... ??!!

he's trying to ease race relations after his election....
he's reminding the racist white folk that are all frowned up in the face
that he is too part white....
it's a smart move...he can feel a sniper eying him....

we will see if it works or not....hopefully so!!!!

one love
khasm

Brother Khasm ... based on the fact that a Black Man was elected as President of the United States of America, would be an indicator that suggests race relations are better than they've ever been ... so i don't understand how demeaning and disparaging his own self ... would aid in that regard.

Even if it did ... what kind of example is that ... demean yourself to appease others?

Those that want him dead ... probably won't stop simply because he called himself a dog.

I don't think ... but i don't know ... maybe you're right.

:heart:

Destee

Peace and Blessings Family,

Did you all see Obama's first press conference, where he spoke about his daughters' new dog, and said:

"There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog.
But obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me."

The response drew smiles and chuckles from those present, while i sat here with my mouth wide open! :eeek:

I found that very disconcerting! Why would he refer to himself as a dog?

Hmmmm ... i didn't like hearing that President-Elect Obama ... :(

What do you all think? Did you see it?

Destee

I thought he was trying to give a light-hearted answer to a light-hearted question. We can expect plenty of off the cuff remarks that might not be as eloquent as his speeches. I thought he looked and sounded very presidential. It was a first look at what reality is and will look like in these United States for at least four years.

Destee - you found it unfunny because... he referred to himself as a dog, or a mutt?

The First Black President of the United States calls himself a mutt ... which is a dog ... in his first press conference ... after all the hoopla and pride and everything ... this is what he says ... and i'm suppose to think this is funny?

I see absolutely no humor in this at all.

I think it is a very poor misstep on his part, though it may ultimately mean nothing at all ... i think it means something, what exactly, i'm not sure.

One can be offended at the mixed breed implications given Obama's so called and socially accepted mixed race.. I get that

I'm not offended that he's a "mixed breed" as you refer to him.

I'm offended that he'd call his own self, a dog ... when so many young Black Children are looking up to him.

If he is a dog, then what are they?

If he is a dog, what are his children?

I can hardly believe he put this in the atmosphere.

It's one thing for others to say ugly stuff about you, but when you embrace it yourself ... that's a whole different matter.

Can one be offended because of the canine implications? (Outside of Rover and Spot)

One can be offended over anything they'd like, i'd imagine.

Can one be offended because the canine reference used by a black man holds different implications? Does it?

He's the First Black President of the United States of America ... i believe every thing he says and does, will be closely scrutinized ... as is the case for most Black Men, but even moreso in his case.

Again ... one can be offended over anything they'd like.

Is it unfunny to your senses as a global citizen, or as a Black person?

I am a Black Person and a global citizen ... and it's unfunny in both regards.

I think i'd be offended by any Black Person that has this unprecedented world-wide media exposure, the ear of the world, and they refer to their own self as a dog, mutt, or any other demeaning characterization.

Or it is unfunny that the president (ANY president) would refer to themselves as a canine... would they all be held up to the same level of.. unfunniness?

I'd not even be watching this closely, if it were a white president saying the same. No ... it might even be funny to me ... if one of them called themselves a dog.

I'm sincerely curious to know why it wasnt funny... ok.. to each their own humour.. but even if not funny, why it would be "disconcerting" to you?

Even if you called your own self a dog ... without the media exposure he has ... i'd be upset with you about that. I'd be upset if anyone i knew, cared about, hoped the best for, referred to their own selves as a dog. I'd be very disappointed in that.

But with him ... every Black Child is watching and listening and hoping ... and he calls himself a dog.

I don't get it.

Destee

I thought he was trying to give a light-hearted answer to a light-hearted question. We can expect plenty of off the cuff remarks that might not be as eloquent as his speeches. I thought he looked and sounded very presidential. It was a first look at what reality is and will look like in these United States for at least four years.

Thanks for sharing Sister Lite16 ... it seems i'm alone in my concern ... okay ... i'll be still!

Thanks for Sharing!

Destee

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Peace and Blessings Family,

Did you all see Obama's first press conference, where he spoke about his daughters' new dog, and said:

"There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog.
But obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me."

The response drew smiles and chuckles from those present, while i sat here with my mouth wide open! :eeek:

I found that very disconcerting! Why would he refer to himself as a dog?

Hmmmm ... i didn't like hearing that President-Elect Obama ... :(

What do you all think? Did you see it?

Destee

Sister Destee,

After reading your thread, I went straight way and listened to Barack’s first press conference. With my mind fixed only on what you had written and nothing more, I kept a non-bias outlook of the comment in question, until I could see and hear it for myself. I must say, just in reading the thread, I was completely lost as to why such a statement would be made.

And after following the conference closely, when the statement finally surfaced, it was delivered so quickly that much thought of what was just said, “a mutt like myself.” was said in a very candid, a very humble, and such a selflessness manner; that no negative connotation or assessment can be applied, in my view.

From the moment the Press Conference begin until it concluded, I had the sense that Barack was a tired man. His overall demeanor was less that I have seen him when on the campaign trail. Immediately, I felt sorry for him as I perceived his tiredness. I can only imagine his tiredness having fought as long and as hard, this was the longest campaign in history, not to mention how overwhelm he must be concerning the very nature of what has been this barrier breaking, and historical achievement.

Getting back to the statement itself, “a mutt like myself,” seems to imply the degree to which Barack views himself as rising from a simple man to The Man. It implies the humility in what I have heard him say many times before, which is to say, “I am not the normal pedigree of those that typically seek the office of President of America,” “neither do I look as they do.”

I saw and heard a very humble man, a man that is dependent upon a higher power, a real Black Man full of humility that is still one of the most brilliant beings the world has to offer.

I sense the seriousness with which you post this thread seeking honest replies, and this is my honest and humble opinion of what transpired today in the press conference.

Lastly I will add, our economy is still in shambles, America is still the fall before Rome, so to speak, the world economy is plummeting, it is no joke that the markets are in trouble, what am I saying, trust me, you, me nor anyone else, would want to be in Obama shoes, this instant. Well...I will exclude myself from that group knowing I could handle it :). But my point is clear, this Obama presidency is a very serious matter, and it is nothing to play with, at all.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back