Black People Politics : Obama's First Press Conference - "Mutt Like Me" ... ??!!

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Destee, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Did you all see Obama's first press conference, where he spoke about his daughters' new dog, and said:

"There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog.
    But obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me."

The response drew smiles and chuckles from those present, while i sat here with my mouth wide open! :eeek:

I found that very disconcerting! Why would he refer to himself as a dog?

Hmmmm ... i didn't like hearing that President-Elect Obama ... :(

What do you all think? Did you see it?

:heart:

Destee

2. kamanu

kamanu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah i saw it. mutt is a mix breed dog, donno if mixed breed man is a mutt too?!?

3. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm cracking up here! Wish I had seen it :lol: I'm thinking his reference was not so much about being a dog as it was to being a "mixed breed" - something a whole lotta Black folk were happy to point out.. until he won (some still do!)

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Zulile ... i'm sure he was referred to as the N word too, during the campaign.

Would you think it funny if he called himself that too, in front of the world?

You're certainly welcome to think his reference meant what you'd like, but he referred to himself as a mutt, which is a dog.

For a man that has proven himself so articulate, so able to choose the right words at the right times, i found this very disturbing ... not funny at all.

Destee

5. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    If anything, I think he offended "mixed races" more than the so called "pure breads" - besides nothing being wrong with mutts, a mutt is a far cry from a N-word. Besides, if we need to talk word choice and not intent: N-folk call themselves dogs all the time ;) woof!

The bottom line (for me) really is this - I am not inclined to start taking apart every word the man says - there are more than enough haters up for that job - nor will I become overly sensitive/overemotional about something clearly stated in humour, no matter how lame - as the comment certainly wasnt made with cruel intent. I'm not going to make it something is wasnt.

The more we wanna B and moan about the small stuff (which is taken out of context and smeared just how we like it) the less impact we'll have when the bigger things need addressing - and you know that's coming!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    You didn't answer my question Sister ... if he called himself the N-word, in front of the world ... would you think it funny too?

Destee

7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    of course not, Destee :)

But again.. a mutt is not a N-word. In fact, didnt even think mutt was Black related.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    It seemed the logic you were using, to find this acceptable and/or funny ... is that others called him that, so his doing it should be okay.

I guess that same logic doesn't apply across the board, for he was surely referred to as the N word during the campaign.

Nonetheless ... it's good to read that it would not be funny if he called himself the N word, even though it's funny that he refers to himself as a dog.

I don't get it ... but ... i don't gotta! :)

Love You!

Destee

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    he's trying to ease race relations after his election....
    he's reminding the racist white folk that are all frowned up in the face
    that he is too part white....
    it's a smart move...he can feel a sniper eying him....

we will see if it works or not....hopefully so!!!!

one love
    khasm

10. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Destee - you found it unfunny because... he referred to himself as a dog, or a mutt?

One can be offended at the mixed breed implications given Obama's so called and socially accepted mixed race.. I get that

Can one be offended because of the canine implications? (Outside of Rover and Spot)

Can one be offended because the canine reference used by a black man holds different implications? Does it?

Is it unfunny to your senses as a global citizen, or as a Black person?

Or it is unfunny that the president (ANY president) would refer to themselves as a canine... would they all be held up to the same level of.. unfunniness?

I'm sincerely curious to know why it wasnt funny... ok.. to each their own humour.. but even if not funny, why it would be "disconcerting" to you?