Black People Politics : Obama's Commencement Challenge

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by river, Apr 28, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey. fambly,

I sent an email to the White House to tell Obama about my online journal since I heard he had a Spoken Word BBQ on the lawn a minute ago. Well now I am on their mailing list and this is what I found in my box.

Be sure to vote.

Good afternoon,

I need your help.

Earlier this year, I promised to speak at a high school's graduation somewhere in the United States. To be considered, we asked schools to tell us how they achieve three important criteria:

Set a positive example for other high schools around the Country;
    Engage students in learning and foster personal responsibility and academic excellence; and
    Prepare students to graduate college to help meet my 2020 goal that America have the highest proportion of college graduates of any nation in the world.
    We've narrowed down more than 1,000 entries to six finalists that each have a three-minute video and short essay you can review and rate. From now until Thursday, anyone can participate. Once the voting is over, I'll choose the winner from the top three.

Check out the six finalists:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/commencement

We're calling this process the Race to the Top Commencement Challenge, and it's just the beginning. I'm planning to speak at a high school graduation every year I'm in office to keep the focus on our commitment to our Nation's schools, and to motivate teachers, principals, and students to keep improving. And of course lifting up American education will take parents getting more involved in their child's education.

This is also an opportunity to discover and highlight schools like these six finalists: excellent examples of the kinds of effective approaches to teaching and learning that I know are happening around the country.

Let me know what you think of the choices:

Thank you,
    President Barack Obama

P.S. The deadline is Thursday at midnight EDT, so take a moment to give your input on these six deserving finalists:

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thank You Sister river for sharing this.
    I like this President for the cutting edge approaches he is establishing.

College is important and in the Health Care Bill he provided funds that will help those who desire an education an opportunity to get one. In that bill he gave money to Black Colleges.

Young people should be lifting each other up, and not pulling each other down.
    Education is a life long endeavor. Regardless of age learning, new skill sets and building of the experience and mind should be sought after and achieved.

After this President leaves office.. opportunities will be removed.
    I do not believe the same bar he set for education, individual responsibility will be achieved again.

I listened to two of the six, I read the notes and essay from all six. I will get a vote in before the dead line. The last three seemed extra privileged. Charter schools, military and technology schools. All of these are not public educational institutions. Regardless, I applaud the President for his motives and achievements. The People's President.

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    interesting, after not haveing enough money to pay teachers or improve schools, unless private corporations do it , but enough money to continue Cheney's wars and keep AIPAC happy.

Like the health care bill and the so called bank reform, there is a serious ommision in the discussion egading why schools fail in certain neighborhoods

Since integration , a real estate tax allocation, determined the amount of funds a school would receive, there fore without destroying that system it would ensure that schools in the well to do areas would excell and those in the "hood" would flounder or fail

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I don't know how much they will let him change the system. But as long as school funds continue to be based on property values which miraculously go down when a Black family moves into a neighborhood, the "No Child left Behind slogan will continue to be just a slogan. School funding should be based on how many children there are in a particular district. It will take a concerted, organized effort to bring that anywhere near possible. Obama cannot do it by himself. Short of that, why not organize a 9 stops to power movement in your neighborhood where adults give up some expense like cigarettes or hair torture and use the money to bring a RIF reading mobile into their local elementary school or do repairs on their local high school. Again, we want to blame the man for not fulfilling his role as appointed messiah but what are we willing to do for ourselves?

Remember Obama promised change we could believe in. He did not say where that change would come from and he never said he would change the system. The root of reparations is the word repair and that comes from within.

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    you say he cannot do it by himself , but who desires or campaigns for a job or position of impotency, just to make a nam or a buck, but as you say he cannot do italone nor could any president since the Department of education, and that is why he as given a free choice to sellect ny one he wanted as "a professional assistant" other then the private education's and military in the schools, golden boy, : Arne Duncan!

And honestly what kind of excuse can be made about bailing out corporate criminals,
    but not innercity teachers, being blamed for poor performance, when they are given,
    " pens with no ink, a pencils with no lead, a black boards with no chalk, notebooks without paper, and a library with no books"?

That is Cheney's kind of thinking, not progressives!