Black People Politics : Obamacare Supporters: Did you read The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare Bill)

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by skuderjaymes, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Obama Supporters: Did you read The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare Bill)

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I Skimmed it

50.0%
  3. No

16.7%
  4. No, but I read a 3rd party's summary of it (News, Blogs, streets, etc)

33.3%
  1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    If you didn't... you should.. Make a community project out of it.. get together every week and take on a chunk at a time.. but we all have to start operating from a deeper knowledge base.. these summaries that they give us, leave out a lot of things.. It's our responsibility as citizens to be more informed. This isn't the olden days where it took some traveling to even get your hands on the legislation.. You have access to all of the legislation.. and the revision histories and vote records.. the whole nine.. Their is no reason to rely on the news to tell you what something means anymore.. It's time to get directly involved.. and to come up with your own interpretations.. and your own questions.

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    it's only 900 pages.. come on now!

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Brother Skuder ... great thread, and i agree, we should try understanding this as a community effort ... maybe a blog talk show about it ... i did skim the document but would like to understand it better.

When does it all go into effect?

What exactly does it all mean for us?

I think it's great and wanna learn.

Thanks for sharing!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

Peace Destee..

I think you may be the only one right now.. but around Feb/Mar of 2014 when people start doing their taxes for 2013.. and they see whats what, there will suddenly be firestorm of interest by individual citizens in what this bill actually says. The firestorm of interest for employers began immediately because this bill takes effect for the tax year 2013, which means they need to deal with this by January or face potentially crippling penalties.. and in a down economy where folks are really just barely making any additional financial requirements are cause for alarm.. even if it's just about having to understand what you need to do. Contrary to popular believe everyone in business is not a financial wiz.. many just know how to run their business that's it. The large employers are fuming because of this:

[​IMG]

That's straight gangster right there. If they don't provide it and a single employee signs up on his own.. like he is required to do by law.. the employer will be charged an assessment equal to the payment made by the employee times the total number of eligible employees!. That's gangster.. strong-arm style. But you know what's going to happen?... Companies are going to strategize to get rid of fulltime jobs.. and the definition of fulltime in this bill is a person that works 30 hours or more per week. So just like when Bush removed overtime pay for Managers.. and a whole new class of employees found themselves labeled "Manager".. or "Asst Manager" only to see no overtime increase for hours worked over 40 hours.. just like that.. many many employers will just do away with fulltime workers.. it's a hassle anyway to have full time workers.. folks that previously worked 40 hours will be working 29.. and the insurance burden will then be on them.

My main concern was the requirement on individuals to have to give account for why they don't have insurance. I was primarily worried about the penalties accruing and eventually becoming criminal..and also I was worried about wage garnishment for healthcare penalties. But under Subtitle F, beginning on page 124, the Bill puts the brakes specifically on all of the criminal penalties and liens and levies.

[​IMG]

What that means is the money will be subtracted from any return you were supposed to get. If you are on top of your game, you should be able to avoid penalties.. but it's going to take tax planning to be sure. You can't wait til the end of the year to see if you got it right. It's something you need to actively manage all year. And that's what makes it a burden on the individual citizen. But.. in a culture of convenience, that's what makes it a business opportunity for Tax Planners, Bookkeepers, consultants, Paralegals, etc. I can already see the slew of Ads from Tax Attorneys and H&R Block in my mind. But this won't hit full steam until 2014.. after.. the folks that are going to get blindsided by this, get hit. We can makes sure that we are not among those people by doing just what we're doing here. Read the bill, read about the bill, discuss it, debate it, etc.. just stay on top.

- peace again.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    skuderjaymes ... thanks for the above. This is a beginning, as it relates to trying to understand what this all means for us. As we talked about in the shoutbox ... Da Kitchen Table ... maybe Brother Shikamaru can join us in this, maybe a BlogTalk show in the near future, helping us understand this new law and how best to use it to our benefit. Not having read it all my own self, i am surely hoping that it has more benefit than penalty. Even if we can't do it all via BlogTalk, just talking about it here in the forum would be great.

Love You!

Destee

7. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I haven't read the document. Wouldn't hurt to start.

I'm not really worried about the Act. It will probably take some knowledge of insurance as well as statutory interpretation.

Laws have loopholes and exemptions. You can be sure at 900 pages, there are tons of both.

You'll want a legal dictionary as well as maybe a book on federal statutory construction and interpretation to decipher the act. It is written in code although it may look like English.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Does anyone know where i sign up for health care coverage?

Do i just go to the doctor and tell 'em ... it's on Obama?

What i gotta do ... do i hafta pay sump'n first ... how does this work?

Destee

9. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    And so it begins:

Taco Bell Franchise Cuts Johnna Davis' Hours Because Of Obamacare

A Taco Bell employee in Guthrie, Okla., is speaking out after the fast-food franchise cut her hours to avoid costs associated with Obamacare, reports News9.
    For Johnna Davis, a single mother of three who saw her hours fall in December to 28 hours a week, the change not only means a smaller paycheck. It also strips her of the right to receive health benefits from Taco Bell, a right that would have kicked in under Obamacare in 2014 had the franchise continued to give Davis a full-time schedule of hours.
    Owners of fast-food franchises across the nation are blind-siding hourly employees by cutting their weekly hours -- and, in turn, their paychecks -- to dodge Obamacare costs.
    The new law, which obliges businesses with more than 50 employees to offer benefits to staffers averaging at least 30 hours of work per week, doesn’t take effect until Jan. 1, 2014. But to determine whether employees work enough hours on average to receive benefits, businesses must track schedules at least three months in advance of 2014, prompting some bosses to begin restructuring payrolls now.