Black People Politics : Obama versus P.E.T.A.

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by cherryblossom, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    SMH! Good Grief and gimme a break!

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE55H4Z220090618
    PETA miffed at President Obama's fly "execution"
    Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39pm EDT
    POLITICO (Washington) - The president has been getting lots of kudos for a lightning-fast, Mr. Miyagi-worthy swipe he employed to slay a pesky house fly that was buzzing him in mid-interview during a taping with CNBC that aired Wednesday.

"He stopped the interview to track and kill the fly," said talk show host Conan O'Brien.

"That's some pretty impressive hand-eye coordination right there," Jimmy Fallon gushed. "Makes Obama look like a bad ***."

But now People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, calling it an "execution," wants the commander-in-chief to show a little more compassion to even "the least sympathetic animals."

"Believe it or not, we've actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA's official response to the executive insect execution," a blog on the group's website explained. "In a nutshell, our position is this: He isn't the Buddha, he's a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act."

The group has sent Obama a device that traps a fly so it can then be released outside.

"We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Freidrich explained.

The fly saga began Tuesday, and it was the subject of a news report on Italian TV and almost a dozen Youtube postings that have been viewed more than 750,000 times. Thousands of people also have added commentary, including one who wrote, "But can he duck a shoe?" in reference to a hugely popular video of former president George Bush ducking a shoe thrown at him by an Iraqi cameraman during a news conference in Baghdad...."

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    hahahahahaha,what a fly,first of all a fly is an insect not an animal and it's a parasite at that carrying germs,this man is trying to pull this country out of the worst depression since the thirties and these clowns are worried about him swatting a fly???this is the laugh of the decade...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

You said it, Oldiesman!

4. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    I wish I could

cuss
    :peace: :whip: :court: :kick: :bam: :SuN024:

5. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    This is funny.

I don't believe in needlessly taking any sentient or non-sentient life, but this is slightly funny.

One.

- Ikoro

6. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    As much as I disagree with some of PETA's tactics and their stance on "euthanizing" healthy, non-human animals, they are an animal rights organization. Insects are animals. They're just being consistent.

If Obama had taken a hammer and pounded a lobster into the floor, more people would be a little sympathetic. Why, just because lobsters are bigger than flies? It's no more likely that lobsters are sentient than it is that insects are sentient, they're both arthropods and their nervous systems are very similar. If insects are conscious and aware, they aren't any less conscious and aware than humans and other large animals are so why should the life of an insect be considered more valuable than the life of a human or another large animal? Because most humans are more intelligent than most insects are? If sentient, non-human life is inherently less valuable than human life on the basis of intelligence, is the life of a human prodigy more valuable than the life of mentally retarded human or a human infant? Speciesism is as morally wrong as racism, sexism and every other form of intra-human discrimination that most of us now condemn.

That said, I don't blame Obama (the mentality of killing a fly is not the same as the mentality that requires killing a human) and I don't recall PETA calling him an "evil murderer" or anything like that. They just offered him some friendly advice as to how he could better handle future encounters with flies.

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    you're right about handling the next encounter with a fly,it's called-RAID.

8. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Well, to PETA's credit. They did say that the rights of Africans were about on par with the rights of animals.

Their racism is beyond freakish.

9. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    It's not racism, I fully agree with them. I see no logical reason why the life of a human should be considered inherently more valuable or important than the life of a sentient non-human. All sentient beings share the same desire to avoid suffering and to experience pleasure or happiness, cows, chickens and pigs value their lives as much as you value yours.

I strongly recommend Animal Liberation by Peter Singer and Speciesism by Joan Dunayer. Check out this website as well :

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/