Black People Politics : Obama Urges Congress to Help Put Teachers Back to Work

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Congress is killing America all because of the vendetta against the President:

Obama Urges Congress to Help Put Teachers Back to Work

With students heading back to school, President Obama is accusing Republicans of wanting to cut education funding to give tax breaks to the wealthy, saying their economic plan "undercuts our future."
    "This year, several thousand fewer educators will be going back to school," the president says in his weekly address. More than 300,000 local education jobs have been lost since the end of the recession, according to a new White House report on the impact of teacher layoffs.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...achers-back-100016131--abc-news-politics.html

Peace In,

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    I wonder where would the biggest cuts,or where is the biggest shortage of teachers are?

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

... Good stuff, I'll do some research and post back.

Peace In,

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    I wonder about this (and it no new revelation) because quality teachers have an impact on improving student learning and performance.

I know when I had black teachers, I felt better and learned better. I remember my 5th grade teacher was sick, and we had a black sub who was pro-black and into teaching black about our homeland. She taught us Swahelli, (she had to hide these actions of course) and to this very day,I can count to 10 in that language. So it something to be said about being taught by our own.

The teacher shortages remain a significant problem in black communities because certain aspects of recruitment, and systematically poor retention guidelines also contribute to a teacher shortage.

Peace!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

... Found some big number cuts here:

The comparable labor, health and education bill crafted by Senate Democrats supports a total program level of about $165.3 billion — a virtual freeze at the 2011 level. The House draft now appears to have a program level of $160.2 billion, or $5.1 billion less.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64744_Page2.html#ixzz242PSzYrE

Teacher shortage areas, hot and right off the press:
    http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/pol/tsa.html#list

Teacher Shortage Areas Nationwide Listing for the years 1990-1991 through 2012-2013, published April 2012.
    A historic turnover in the teaching profession is on the way. More than a million veteran teachers are nearing retirement. America will need two million new teachers in the next decade, and experts predict that half the teachers who will be in public school classrooms 10 years from now have not yet been hired.

The Search for Qualified Teachers

• Nationwide, some 2.2 million teachers will be needed in the next 10 years because of teacher attrition and retirement and increased student enrollment.
    • By 2008, national public school enrollment will exceed 54 million, an increase of nearly 2 million children over today. Enrollment in elementary schools is expected to increase by 17 percent and in high schools by 26 percent.
    • In high-poverty urban and rural districts alone, more than 700,000 new teachers will be needed in the next 10 years.
    http://nsea.org/policy/salaries/index.htm

The shortage has already hit hard in the most populous Sunbelt states, catching some educators looking the other way. School-age populations fell off 5.3%, to 44.9 million, from 1980 to 1984, as the last of the World War II baby boomers graduated. But meanwhile, the number of preschoolers surged 9%, to 17.8 million. And now the vanguard of this baby boomlet has hit first grade, where enrollments rose from a 33-year low of 2,894,000 in 1980 to 3,079,000 for 1983-84, with more coming. In the Sunbelt states, the boomlet is being compounded by massive immigration from the snow country and the Third World. Texas, which had 3.42 million public school students in 1970, expects enrollments of 5.25 million by the year 2000. Florida's public school population, 1.56 million in 1984, is projected at 2.1 million for 2000. And California, with 4.1 million students, is bracing for an additional 724,000 pupils by 1991.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1048379,00.html#ixzz242SpwsI6

Peace In,

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081