Black People Politics : Obama to extend wage law to cover two million home care aides

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Obama to extend wage law to cover two million home care aides

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration said on Tuesday it will extend the protection of U.S. minimum wage and overtime law to almost two million home health workers who assist the elderly and disabled, setting an assertive tone for the new U.S. labor secretary.
    Sworn in only two weeks ago, Thomas Perez said in a statement that home health workers provide "vital services."
    "Today we are taking an important step toward guaranteeing that these professionals receive the wage protections they deserve while protecting the right of individuals to live at home," he said.

Under a new rule, the department said home health workers, personal care aides and certified nursing assistants will be brought under the coverage of the Fair Labor Standards Act starting in January 2015.

suggested reading:
    http://news.yahoo.com/labor-dept-extend-wage-protections-home-care-aides-181043907.html

[​IMG]
    Thomas Perez speaks during a news conference in Phoenix, Arizona May 10, 2012 file photo. REUTERS/Joshua …

http://news.yahoo.com/labor-dept-extend-wage-protections-home-care-aides-181043907.html

2. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I find this almost hard to believe:
    HH (home health) doesn't do so badly. They may not rec'v OT but there's potential for higher pay there, at least. Potential that isn't available to nurse aides working in other areas.

I can't say that I support it. Seems like this would just increase the 'cost of care' for our elders.
    But, I've no issue with this where the HH aides are concerned. CNA/PCTs care for the critically ill, the chronically sickly, the mentally ill, the young, the elderly, etc...and they do it for pennies.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

And I think you arrived at the proper conclusion MimiBelle, but remember, most elders receive some kind of subsidy through different agencies.