Black People Politics : Obama the target of dangerous code words

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by oldsoul, Jan 15, 2008.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Obama the target of dangerous code words

January 14, 2008 LAURA WASHINGTON Chicago SunTimes

American politics has never been more uplifting than in 2008. The Democrats are running a rainbow race of their best and brightest.
    Sen. Barack Obama is battling to become America's first black president. Sen. Hillary Clinton yearns to be the first woman in the White House. Both are viable and electable -- the first of their kind.
    Campaigns are about words. I am hearing some words that are tapping into the most dangerous part of the American psyche.
    This nation was built on racism. Its economy blossomed from human cargo shuttled across the sea and sold into slavery. Our black ancestors were shackled, raped, brutalized. They were lynched, burned, bombed, hosed, executed.
    We can't ignore our history. It is still with us. Kelly Tilghman, an anchor for the Golf Channel cable outlet, recently remarked on the air that younger golfers looking to beat golf star Tiger Woods could "lynch him in a back alley." Our women are called nappy-headed whores. Six black teens were terrorized by noose-bearing white youths deep in Jena, La.
    The residue of our racial heritage is seeping into the presidential debate. Listen to these dangerous words:
    Sen. Joe Biden noted that Obama was the first "mainstream" African-American candidate "who is articulate and bright and clean."
    Clinton supporter and former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey noted Obama's personal history in the Washington Post, singling out his full name: Barack "Hussein" Obama.
    Bill Shaheen, a national co-chairman of Clinton's campaign, warned that Republicans would go after Obama for his admission of youthful drug use. "It'll be, 'When was the last time? Did you ever give drugs to anyone? Did you sell them to anyone?' "
    Former President Bill Clinton suggested to PBS's Charlie Rose that Obama supporters were willing to "roll the dice" on an inexperienced candidate.
    New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo says of the presidential campaign: "It's not a TV-crazed race, you know, you can't just buy your way through that race. ... You can't shuck and jive at a press conference."
    Their words raised hackles. Apologies followed. We like this Obama guy, they said. We meant no harm, they said. We were misunderstood, they said.
    They may have meant one thing. But many will hear something else.
    Obama is "the other." He is dangerous. He is hustling, criminal, back-alley black man.
    Racial code words are not new to American politics. The Rev. Jesse Jackson joked about "Hymietown." George H.W. Bush trotted out Willie Horton. A campaign ad starred a Playboy-esque blond bombshell beckoning to Senate candidate Harold Ford. George Allen had his "macaca" moment.
    This campaign must be different. Hillary Clinton's stunning New Hampshire upset last week came courtesy of her overactive tear ducts, the pundits say.
    Obama had just beat Clinton --badly -- in Iowa. She is tired, defeated, maybe afraid.
    At a New Hampshire coffee shop, a woman asked if she was OK. Clinton teared up, her voice quavered: "I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backward," she replied. "This is very personal for me -- it's not just political, it's not just public."
    Listen to the words. "I just don't want to see us fall backward." Backward to what?
    To that black man. That black man who beat Hillary. That black man who made the white woman cry.
    White New Hampshire voters came to her rescue. Poor Hillary. Don't worry -- we will protect you. We will save you.
    Our racial wounds are deep, their impact subliminal. Words have consequences. In these sensitive times, they can activate our most unconscious fears and tap the deepest recesses of our ugly history. Every black man in America knows it. Especially Barack Obama.

Listen to the words.

the rest: http://www.suntimes.com/news/washington/739385,CST-EDT-laura14.article#

2. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    Listen to the Words
    Thank You Brother Old Soul
    Still many are determined to hold us back
    We Will Persevere
    We Shall OverCome
    ~BLESS~

3. pararealist

pararealist Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    @OldSoul
    I take it you are "a fan of Obama"?
    //
    I once wondered if it is really possible that Obama is genuine, but my inner voice tells me that he is not, else he would have never become president.
    We all know that the president has no real power, in fact i would go so far as to say that NO political leader of any country has any power at all, for the moment they try to do anything positive they will be replaced.
    //
    I actually see the reason for him being president, is to keep the people of colour happy and from causing a revolution right now, which was on the cards, yes it was heading towards revolution of the people.
    //
    Yet deep in me, i have this strange suspicion growing that he will be one day assasinated, to widen the racial divide and cause global chaos.

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I don't understand.

If Obama was put in place by the 'power that be' and it's all some grand scheme to mislead the people with a black figurehead as discussed in this thread....

Some African Americans Say Obama Failing to Help Black Community

.... then why would he be a target of those very people he works for?

Is this some kind of set-up to further mislead the people?

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    uh huh...

6. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Don't speak on such. If you a christian you won't claim it! :bully: