Black People Politics : Obama talks about Hip Hop, Jay-Z and others

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by MysteryDoors, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Obama, says he has been a Hip Hop fan for years.

"I've met with Jay-Z; I've met with Kanye. And I've talked to other artists about how potentially to bridge that gap. I think the potential for them to deliver a message of extraordinary power that gets people thinking (is massive),"

Though he supports using Hip Hop as a catalyst for good, Obama is also aware of Hip Hop's negative side too, acknowledging that messages of crime and misogyny overshadow the many positive aspects of rap music.

"There are times, even on the artists I've named, the artists that I love, that there is a message that's sometimes degrading to women, uses the N-word a little too frequently."

Barack Obama & Hip-Hop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSVG7jRp_g

[​IMG]

Rap superstar Jay-Z has urged his fellow American citizens to think carefully before voting in the November presidential elections, because Barack Obama shouldn't be chosen just because he's black.

"And I'm not voting for him simply because he's black. The worst thing ever for black people would be to put someone in who wasn't capable. (But) what he represents to a little kid in Marcy Projects (in Brooklyn, New York) right now is to make him feel like he's part of America. We never felt like we were part of the American dream."

What is your opinion of Obama being a big Hip Hop fan?

2. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    Barack Obama’s hip-hop dilemma is Ludacris
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1110553
    ATLANTA - Ludacris’ new song, “Politics as Usual,” may have cost him one of his biggest fans, Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

And for good reason: It points up the dilemma facing the nation’s potential first black president, who wants the support of the influential hip-hop community but needs to steer clear of the controversy so commonly associated with its music.

Ludacris’ “Politics as Usual” alludes to an imminent victory for Obama by handing out major put-downs to his rivals. It dismisses Hillary Rodham Clinton as a vice presidential candidate - “that (expletive) is irrelevant” - and says presumed Republican nominee John McCain doesn’t belong in “any chair unless he’s paralyzed.”

[​IMG]

3. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    lol @ john mccain only belonging in a chair unless he's paralyzed, haha....Obama isn't the first democratic candidate to use hip hop to gain some more of the young black vote. I remember Bill Clinton allowing LL Cool J to rap at one of his rallies.

4. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    Well I think Obama wants to encourage hip hop artists to use their music in a positive way, instead of sending negative degrading messages.

LUDACRIS - OBAMA IS HERE (MUSIC VIDEO)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcGldJlKiA

5. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
    Obama rejects Ludacris rap lyrics
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7534736.stm
    A song by rap star Ludacris criticising Barack Obama's opponents has been called "outrageously offensive" by the US presidential candidate's campaign.

[​IMG]

6. MysteryDoors

Ratings:
    +21
  7. MasterDJ

MasterDJ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    Omg! That Ludacris song is ridiculous! Luda is back and he should stay on that tip instead of that goofy stuff, but you know you gotta give them what they want sometimes just to stay in the game but i wish all of these artists could write songs even deeper than this one!

Now, i do find it interesting that Obama only mentioned that he met with JAY and KANYE and we all know that they are both Masons! Is Obama alluding to something because in his dialogue referring to them he mentioned LOVE instead of the normal "I Really like their music" spill that people tend to give! I cant pinpoint it exactly but I think their is a link somewhere in this chain and I want to find out what it is! If anyone knows then please shed some light! IS OBAMA A MASON

8. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    AHAAA!

I don't like Luda, but that song was NYCE. I bet you Obama was bumpin it when he heard it, bumpin it LOUD (on his presidential head phones that is). But of course the Brother had to publicly denounce it, no doubt. Prolly he knew about the track too, but can't endorse derogatory words even if they are true.

Hopefully this track garnered Obama some more votes. Heck I don't follow the election, but this song has me liking Obama a bit more. Naturally, he is in my opinion better than McCain or Clinton regardless.

Big up Luda! But... are you ready for change though? Obama is here. Get off your nasty tip, Bro.

One.

- Ikoro