Black People Politics : Obama Pardons 17 People, Largely For Minor Offenses

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Mar 6, 2013.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    By JULIE PACE 03/01/13 05:56 PM ET EST [​IMG]
    WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Friday issued pardons for 17 people, largely for minor offenses.
    Those receiving pardons came from 13 states and had been sentenced for crimes that included falsely altering a money order, unauthorized acquisition of food stamps, drug violations, and possession of an unregistered firearm.
    No one well-known was on the list released by the White House. Some of the crimes drew light penalties in the first place – such as a North Carolina woman sentenced to two years' probation and 100 hours of community service for distributing satellite cable decryption devices.
    A dozen of the 17 had been placed on probation. The other five had been sentenced to prison terms ranging from 54 days to five years. For those placed on probation, the length ranged from one year to five years.
    The White House offered no details on why these particular people were selected by Obama, who has issued relatively few pardons since taking office.
    He granted his first pardons in December 2010, to nine people convicted of such offenses as drug possession, counterfeiting and mutilating coins. He also issued two separate batches of pardons in 2011, including eight people in May for relatively minor offenses and five people that November.

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    and what point is this making about him?

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree, what is the point that is tying to be made. They just need to let it go, their boy lost, plain and simple. Bush pardoned 75 people and trust me, they were not all minor offenses.

Peace!

4. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Maybe no point. Perhaps an observation.

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Yeah, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. But the right will try and make it be.

Peace!

6. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Hold up now, Enki.

What is the "ordinary"? Just from what I've known of presidents and their pardons, they tend to pardon folks who have been convicted for quite serious offenses. Not all (pardons) were 'major', but a least a good 'handful'.

Whatever the 'right's' intentions are, let the facts stand alone. Let [their or those in question] records speak for themselves.

I went back to listen to the 3min interview, where the lady (and the hosts), did not critique the president on a personal level. They did not go FOXNEWS on the president. I see no signs of fabrication, or even distorted facts on the matter. Their query; their responses were, at least, reasonable.

(So say you, legit-writer)

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I feel ya...

What I meant was the act of pardoning is not out of the ordinary. You are correct, Bush set some free that should have stayed locked up.

I agree.

You are correct on this point. They didn't go all Fox News:D

What is up with them anyway?

Peace!