Black People Politics : Obama on Guantanamo Bay

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by river, Nov 11, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Pesident elect Barack Obama is already setting up plans to make good on his promise to close Guantanamo prison. However, I feel the need to express concern about some of the finer proposals in this plan. The plan is to release the vast majority of the detainees and send them back to their countries. Since only twelve of them are actually hardened terrorists I don't have a problem with this as far as it goes, but I will explain below why I don't think it goes far enough.

Now for those that are actually suspected of being terrorist there is a plan to bring them to the US and try them in courts. Obama will look to the existing civilian and military court systems first and if they prove inadequate set up a special court system for terrorist suuspects. One news source that I read suggested that this new court system would admit evidence from anonymous sources and lower the legal restrictions on the way evidence can be obtained, thus effectively reducing the civil rights of those suspected of terrorism.

I think this is totally and absolutely wrong. When a person's rights are determined not by the nature of the crime but by the nature of the accusaation there's no way that person can get a fair trial because the court is already prejudiced against them before the trial even starts. Does the constitution say that no citizen shall be deprived of life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness without due suspicion? This is the kind of "just us" Blacks have been receiving in this country from the jump. Of course if this is made into a whole system of injustice inside a system that is already unjust a disproportionate number of Blacks will find themselves accused of "domestic terrorism" and wind up in these courts where even the semblance of civil rights can legally be denied to them.

I said above that I don't think it is enough to merely send the detainees home. Just release them with an apology (if that) without compensation for the time, money, liberty, physical and mental energy that was stolen from them?

No, I am not ready to give up on the man I just voted for. However, these are serious considerations and I ask that as many of you as care take up a pen right now and write to Mr. Obama to let him know people around the world are concerned about the ramifications of these issues.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lfil-promise-and-shut-guantanamo-1009585.html

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    Guantanamo Bay is a fraud

illusionati grandstanding

i don't believe in terrorists they say are terrorists we ALL know who the real terrorists are

with that said they need to release these people it's sad what Arabs
    have the go thru

and doesn't this sound eerily familiar

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

peace

the celebration is just about over......

my favorite line in the Movie "Glory" is when Denzel asks the fiel han who was so happy to be fighting for the north that he thought he was going to be given a suit just like the white soldiers until he found out that if captured by the south in a blue suit he would be put to death.....

"do you still want that blue suit N--ga?"

- It's a good idea, but Mr. Obama is following a script and answering letters is not in the plan...nor is moving into the WHITE house!

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    So when he moves in won't that mean he's not following the script? Write the letters, Fambly. 'Rack's in da house.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Yes it will sister river & hopefully he's not following the script so his followers are not being led astray by false "hope's" of "change".......

I see you got racks in da hizzzouse, but can a brother get some Carrot mixed w/ beet juice up in da spizzot?

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Peace brotha info.

I'm not looking for a savior. Were you there Wednesday nite? Oldsoul's message was mad powerful.
    http://conraise.com/110508.mp3

I know that whenever we move ahead they push us back, but I also notice they never able to push us back as far as we have come so if we move we make progress. And Obama never promised to be our savior. He said we have to work together. He can do his part and we can do our part. That's synergy.