Black People Politics : Obama on Chicago, Ferguson, and Iraq shootings

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by UBNaturally, Aug 21, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Compare the narratives and the responses from Barack Obama for the three instances
    ap449839568573[1].jpg

• First, Obama on Chicago Shootings:

Nothing could be found.... N/A

Only could find these relative matters

This was from a year ago...

• Next, Obama on Ferguson Shootings:

On Monday, ABC's Ann Compton asked President Obama whether he would visit Ferguson, Mo., amid the continued unrest. Obama didn't give a firm answer, but he did suggest it's probably not a good idea.

"When they’re conducting an investigation, I've got to make sure that I don’t look like I’m putting my thumb on the scales one way or the other," he said.

And for now, that's probably the right call.

As with everything Ferguson, there are no easy answers. But at this juncture, it's pretty clear Obama's presence would be a very risky political move.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../why-president-obama-shouldnt-go-to-ferguson/

• Last, Obama on Iraq Shootings:
    ISIS said its execution of Foley, who was kidnapped in Syria in 2012, came in retaliation for Obama authorizing those airstrikes. ISIS also threatened to kill another journalist it was allegedly holding captive Steven Sotloff, who was kidnapped near the Syrian-Turkish border in August 2013 — if Obama did not draw back U.S. involvement.

Obama made it clear on Wednesday he was not going to do that. Michael Cohen, a fellow at the progressive Century Foundation, tweeted immediately after Obama's speech that the implicit takeaway was that the U.S. was "at war with ISIS."

"I don't think I've ever heard Obama make a statement like that," Cohen told Business Insider in a subsequent interview.

"It was unusually tough, but to the point I made below when you describe ISIS as a cancer and evil and a nihilistic actor you're kind of locking yourself into a policy of full versus half-measures. It will be very hard, now, for Obama to finish this mission with anything less than the defeat of ISIS, which is not something that is going to happen overnight."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-on-isis-escalation-in-iraq-2014-8#ixzz3B4nLDcuN

Here is an editorial posted in regards to the elusive Chicago response(s)...

Obama's Ferguson Remarks Ignore Bloody Chicago Weekend

The president talks about Ferguson, Mo., but not about a Chicago weekend where three dozen people were shot, seven of them killed, including a 16-year-old black girl who wanted to be a doctor.

To his credit, President Obama was more judicious than usual talking about the shooting of Michael Brown outside St. Louis. He did not say the police acted stupidly. He actually made a rare attempt at acknowledging individual responsibility when he said that when young black men "commit a crime, they need to be prosecuted, because every community has an interest in public safety."

Read more: http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...s-on-michael-brown-shooting.htm#ixzz3B4nk6ePB