Black People Politics : obama not getting much love from us????

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by dandan, Dec 22, 2006.

1. dandan

dandan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dec 8, 2006

US political darling Barack Obama has received enthusiastic support for a possible 2008 presidential bid — except from fellow African-Americans, a group many believed would be among his staunchest backers.

In contrast to the effusive reception Obama has received from white Americans, many US blacks so far have been cool, saying that while they may share skin color with Obama, they do not have a common culture or history.

“Obama did not — does not — share a heritage with the majority of black Americans, who are descendants of plantation slaves,” wrote African-American newspaper columnist Stanley Crouch last month in an article entitled “Barack Obama — Not Black Like Me.”

Radio host George Wilson, whose nationally-broadcast talk show tests the opinions of a cross-section of African-American listeners, said response to the Illinois senator so far has been “lukewarm.”

“He’s not getting as much of an enthusiastic send-off from black people as he is from whites,” Wilson said.

Obama draws enormous, mostly white crowds, even though the first presidential primary election is more than a year away, and is he seen as a top contender for the Democratic presidential nomination.

But Crouch said that the first-term US senator — the bi-racial progeny of a black Kenyan father and a white American mother — does not share with most American blacks the painful legacy of slavery, repressive Jim Crow laws, and civil rights struggles.

“While he has experienced some light versions of typical racial stereotypes, he cannot claim those problems as his own — nor has he lived the life of a black American,” Crouch wrote in his New York Daily News column.

“If we then end up with him as our first black president, he will have come into the White House through a side door — which might, at this point, be the only one that’s open.”

Political analyst Ron Walters said that Obama is a black whom many whites find reassuring, with his Harvard pedigree and law degree rounding out his half-European ancestry.

“If you take this in almost anthropological terms, there’s a sense in which whites are more comfortable with blacks who they believe reaffirm them,” Walters said.

He said other whites apparently view Obama not so much as a black trailblazer but as a multicultural figure, with his racially-mixed parentage and childhood spent in Hawaii and Indonesia.

African-Americans however, who are are accustomed to leaders who emerge from the civil rights movement, sometimes appear to struggle to relate to Obama.

“For some African-Americans, he has not really affirmed their identity. He has affirmed his own mixed identity, but he has not strongly affirmed the right and the claim of African-Americans in this society to equal treatment,” said Walters, a professor at the University of Maryland.

Others said Obama is simply an unknown figure to many African-Americans who are almost reflexively suspicious.

“There’s a feeling that if white folks like him so much he must not be good for us. For some blacks it’s a turn-off,” said Wilson.

If he does run, Obama would be the first African-American candidate for president who does not come out of the civil rights movement. US Representative Shirley Chisholm, of New York, was the first African-American to run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972.

Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson was a contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988.

A CNN poll last week found that 60 percent of Americans said they have no reservations about voting for a black president, although experts caution that polls are not always a reliable measure of racial bias. Some wonder whether whites who now are urging him to run will be as enthusiastic in the voting booth.

“There are individuals who say one thing publicly, but time and time again has shown that when … they’re in the privacy of the voting booth, they do something else,” said Wilson.

Despite the adulation he has received from Democrats around the country, some blacks said it will be nearly impossible for Obama to win the White House in 2008 without massive support from the African-American community.

“The American population is not ready — despite of what Barack says — to have a black man be the president of the United States,” Wilson said.

“When it’s all said and done, if he declares, then he will have to convince African-Americans to support him, and just his color alone is not going to be enough,” he said.

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Oct 8, 2005
    I don't know much about what Obama stands for and I'll admit I fall in that camp of "if white folks love him so much something must be up."

There is no doubt his bi-racial heritage is a big plus for him with whites. I've heard whites say to me "He's not REALLY black though....."

That said, I'm still willing to listen/learn about Obama.

Look at that brother's super-smart, beautiful Black wife...that says enough about his blackness to me.
  3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Mar 26, 2003
    don't believe the hype...i reside in illinois and i know for a fact that we support him....

one love
  4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Jan 12, 2006
    Yes we do.
    I think he's great!
    Although I am afraid for him.
    There is no way white folks are going to elect him president.
    If he does become persident I fear for his life.
  5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Oct 21, 2005
    As long as he has white's best interest at heart; hell have nothing to worry about. On the flipside of that:"Go Obama!"

Despite him identifying as biracial; he has Black wife and Black kids. Hopefully, that'll be an incentive for him to act favorably on the behalf of Blacks.

6. backtoafrica

backtoafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Jul 5, 2006
    His children are quadroon, not black.
  7. Destee

Destee STAFF

United States
    Jan 22, 2001
    +9,512 / -14
    Unfortunately ... my view of the political system is quite jaded ... no politician gets much love from me, as i have seen nothing come from that system, that has empowered us in a way to free us from the economic oppression, incarceration, or mistreatment we've continually received for hundreds of years. This same system, has been in place throughout our history in this country, with it creating, upholding, and enforcing policies that perpetuate these injustices on us collectively ... as a result ... i have very little confidence that any Black person will be allowed to make any real change for us, within it. I imagine that i'll continue to feel this way, until i see white men filling prisons at the same percentages that Black Men fill them.

I liken Mr. Barak Obama to ... RACIAL SHOWCASING ... a term coined by Mr. Neely Fuller, Jr., which means the following:

RACIAL SHOWCASING means taking huge numbers of black people and putting them out front. It's going to be more of this, all over the planet. Many millions of Black people that you will see, who will be rolling in money. They will be able to showcase the places where they live. They will be able to showcase their knowledge, and expertise. See, you have television now; you have all of the mediums for doing this, for showcasing huge numbers of Black people. I will say it will eventually run into the millions, so many that you won't be able to count them.

Now what is this for? This is for any Black person that starts talking about racism in the future, is going to be laughed at, because they are gonna be able to showcase so many Black people who are what you call "successful" that it will seem that racism has been put out of business. But white supremacy is a world business, and like any other business, it works on profits and losses, which means percentages. You go into business; you expect a certain amount of loss. If you're in the grocery business, well you might have a load of asparagus that is spoiled, but overall, you will make more profits than you have losses, if you're going to stay in the business. Now, so the white supremacist knows that the cost of doing the business of white supremacy is going up. They can no longer get away with Joe Louis and Lena Horne, like they did years ago. They have to have many, many, many more Black people who are going to be "showcased." I made up this term, just to explain it; you have to make up terms because they won't make them up for you. So, now that's the first phase, or one of the first elements, in the maximum confusion. And so that Black people won't be able to say, they'll say ... well, you know, there must be something wrong with me, that I’m down and out and don't have a biscuit to eat, because there are so many millions of Black people, who have so much, so it can't be race. But see, for the four or five million Black people who will be showcased, there will be hundreds of millions, worldwide, who won't have a biscuit. That's the way the business operates in the future, and will be, that's the way it seems to be going according to what ... the evidence ... according to the logic.

Of course i could be wrong, and they are going to allow Mr. Obama to use the very system that enslaves us, to free us.

But if they really wanted to free us from the injustices they've heaped upon us, they don't even need Obama for that ... so what is he for ... ?? ... why are they hyping him up in their giant media machine ... (vs Cynthia McKinney or some other Black person, or a white person even) ?? ... to keep us confused and thinking that racism no longer exists ... look ... here's a Black Man that has made it to the top of their political system ... we love yall ... we want yall to have a chance ... we want yall to believe that you can and will recieve justice within this system ... we know you never have ... but just keep waiting ... it's coming ... Obama (and those like him) is our evidence for you to believe that.

It's not that i have so little confidence in Obama ... but it's the system of white supremacy, he's working within, that i don't trust.

Maybe he'll do, within that system, what no one else ever has. Maybe they will let him, but if they do, that's suspect too.

Everything that comes out of this political system, is suspect to me. It's nothing personal, against Obama. I wish him well.

8. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Jan 11, 2006

I believe this whole article is a lie to divide the community even more. I don't know not one black person who doesn't support him.
  9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Sep 29, 2005
    Temple of Kali, Yubaland
    +9,578 / -4
  10. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Jan 15, 2008
    Thank you for a Critical Analysis

You know when we came here in those slave ships, there were Toms who had guns to our heads, hired from various tribes,
    some returned and some settled here.
    There were 300 Black families that owned slaves, those folks had Black wives and children too.

Dr. King was able to sit in the white house and not beg,but make demands on a man that hated his guts.
    Do we have anyone like that today!
    And mind you he never ran for political office, evn though he had the support of more whites then Obama,
    because he realized that a politician is another kind of slave for corporate interest.
    {And the way you hurt corporations
    is by withholding your dollars}.

Malcom understood that this is no democracy, so he proposed back then(1963) that we have a 10 billion dollar lobying building in Washington, and that we like some other ethnic groups, become 50-50 Republican and Democrat so that one will not take us for granted and the other cannot neglect us.
    Alsq he mentioned the concept of presenting a Black agenda to any candidate regardless of office, rather then wait and see what they have to say in our favor.
    Politicians are servants of the public, that is it. Corporate oligarchy feed on our dollars thas it.
    Voting is a strategy, not a personality poll.

The only 2 candidates, who are not members of the Rockefellor think tank CFR are Cynthia MKenney and Ron Paul, a man who espouses some policies,that are detrimental to the common good of Black folks in this country.

As for Obama, he voted for the war, he voted for the Patriot Act, and if you do a google, you will find he voted for a Thought Crime Bill,
    He also proposed the invasion of Pakistan, and now that Bhutto has been "mysteriously" assasinated, they mite have the excuse to pull it off.
    (did anyone say 9/11-Iraq?!!!)