Black People Politics : Obama Chooses to Remain Quiet, Again

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Kamau47, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
  2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    This is really pathetic...as one of our local singers say, The politicians really making sport at the people "

This should be an opportune time for the President to let the electorate particularly black folks know what his position is on these issues. It shows that the more things change...the more they remain the same. One will have to ask whose interest is he seeking.. He should be willing to FIND THE TIME..All I can do is SMH.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... This struck me as to how the NAACP would react, but knowing all along that a scheduling conflict would be the reason for the President, and Romney had already appeared before the NAACP; so I did some research and could not find a single thing from the NAACP or Ben Jealous on this.

Nevertheless, my sentiments fall in line with this poster:

[​IMG]
    Greg LOctober 4, 2012 - 4:20 pm

>> The two candidates were invited to come and discuss their plans for African Americans….<<<
    The premise is the problem. We need to be discussing our plans for ourselves and then executing on them. I assure you that if we were to successfully do that independently of the political system, they'd be seeking us out rather than the other way around—and we could return the favor by turning them down. As it is, the invite is more about a photo op than it is about anything substantive. Some may argue that the visits to Hispanics don't result in anything more substantive for their community either–and that would be true. The difference is that Hispanics do split their votes between the two parties, so there's more of a chance for the republicans to make inroads and the result is that both candidates vie for their votes. In our case, 90% vote democratic, so the republicans cede the black vote while the dems take it for granted. The result is that we're positioned in powerless political netherworld thus have to deal with the fact that even a black president takes our vote for granted. Now I'm not suggesting that we need to begin voting republican as they've got nothing for us, but perhaps more of us need to start voting "none of the above" and let the democrats start feeling some losses. We could take the energy spent on politics, which yields very little for us anyway, and spend it on resolving our issues independently rather than fall for the scam that the government is going to save us or that our vote matters. Your vote only matters if you have an active agenda that you're executing on that you can compel the political system to support.

Peace In,

4. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    It bothers me that Obama has yet to speak on the specific problems that blacks face in this country, even in the slightest.
    I ask, as I have continued to ask. What has he done for us?

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    From what I understand, the invite was much too late. Besides that politically it doesn't make too much sense. What's to gain when though the NAACP doesn't represent Black Votes, the NAACP literally booed Romney?

This is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

More, the decline was prior to the debate--so 'again' isn't an accurate observation.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

An excellent question, to say the least. Besides representing color in the white house, along with his family, very little, directly. His philosophy is a rising tide, lifts all boats... Which is why I agree with Greg, its time for us to organize and become as effective with our agenda, as the others.

Peace In,

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... By all means, they are electoral politicians, and as such, they pander to the electorate. Here's a very interesting PBS special of Randall Kennedy making clear to Tavis Smiley what the President is going through as the first legitimate Black President:

Tavis Smiley Law professor-author Randall Kennedy

Harvard professor and author explains his beliefs on the nation's first Black president.

Politics from the Black Perspective
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-26#post-701814

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in... smh

Peace In,

8. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
  9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    <crickets>

10. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Do you not understand that this is a racist country that assassinated 'race leaders?'

More, the President is an executive, not a legislator. There's not a single Black person in the Senate.

Instead of tearing down the Black man in office, why not encourage Black supporters in office?

This is why it's said we need a political education, people are holding politicians to a standard of--"Why aren't you fixing my fence?" like that's what they are supposed to do.